Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD power stage amps, actual power?

Hello Everyone,

I've owned a PS170 for about a year now. It spent a while in the storage room as I didn't have any cabs with enough power to handle it. That is until recently when I ran across a few forums that stated they are not the wattage they are advertised at.

For instance the 170 pulls 55 watts from the wall, and the 700 pulls 270 watts from the wall. Does this not make them closer to 50 watts, and 250 watts rms @ 4 ohms? Are the 170 and 700 figures temporary burst or peak wattage?

Thanks.

Re: SD power stage amps, actual power?

This may be a question for SD directly, as they would have access to that sort of information. You can contact them @ [email protected].
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For exact numbers you'll probably have to consult SD as Mincer said.

FWIW, you can run them into lower wattage cabinets, just don't crank them, I do that all the time with my ISP Stealth power amp.

Comment

power consumption isnt the same as output. id assume that the 170 and 700 are peak wattage rather than rms but i dont know that.

Comment

Based on those numbers, I would say that the model numbers are probably based on peak power, you can't make output more than you take in (if you figure that out, patent it although perpetual motion machines are unpatentable).

Comment

UL rating for input power at 1/8 unclipped output power. But that doesn't mean the amp will do 170 watts continuous, clean at 4 ohms. I agree that it's probably peak (at best).

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-am...tually-testing

Comment

Working...
            X