banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with the Korg NuTube's or the Vox Mini Superbeetle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with the Korg NuTube's or the Vox Mini Superbeetle?

Korg NuTube - Vox MSB25 Mini Superbeetle (Which uses the NuTube.)

I actually had this idea over a decade ago, and talked about it a little in this forum. Now Korg has done a variation of it. I wonder how truly tube-ish they sound? Also, that little Vox looks interesting too. It uses the NuTube in its preamp section.

Anyone know more about either of these?

Artie

Anyone familiar with the Korg NuTube's or the Vox Mini Superbeetle?

The Vox MV50 series also use Nutube and all I've read is positive reviews. Demos also sound good but I still have to play one in Person.

That ministack looks awesome.

What I would like to see with Nutube is a Fender 63 Reissue Reverb unit that fits on my pedalboard.
    Last edited by Blille; 09-05-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Re: Anyone familiar with the Korg NuTube's or the Vox Mini Superbeetle?

That would be sweet. I'm not sure if they're for sale to the general public or not.

Comment

Never heard of it but will definitely be checking it out!

Comment

Hear for yourself:

Comment

AND:

Comment

That little MV50 sounded good. I wonder if GC has the Superbeetle on the floor. I may need to run over there.

BTW, I see that Wattage was already covering this over here.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-05-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                What I would like to see with Nutube is a Fender 63 Reissue Reverb unit that fits on my pedalboard.
                This needs to happen

Comment

My only amp at the moment is a Korg MV50 Clean, one of those tiny amps with a Nutube.

Out of the 3 flavors of MV50, it is (naturally) the cleanest one, meant to be used as a pedal platform.

It is perfect for that job. The clean tone is sparkly and so good that while I'm GASing for a Princeton Reverb, I don't feel a huge need b/c the MV50 can get as loud and sounds good.

While I don't really like the MV50's natural overdrive (I don't think it was designed for that), I do like the way it gets edge-of-breakup tones when pushed lightly with an overdrive. It really does feel like a conventional tube amp in that respect. I was surprised and delighted by that, b/c IMO an overdrive into a tube amp yields a different result than overdrive into a solid state amp.

So I feel like the Nutube is acting at least partially like a conventional tube, and enough so that I find the result pleasing.

I played the MV50 Rock at NAMM and was amazed at how pleasant the experience was. It was, quite simply, a rocking little amp.

Comment

Nice review . . . but it ain't helping my GAS.

Comment

So, I just got back from my friends at George's Music. They had the little Superbeetle set up. At first, the guy handed me a Gibson LP, but it was weird. Instead of 2V/2T, it had three knobs with a micro-switch toggle. I couldn't get any kind of clean sound out of the amp. Then he brought me a Strat. The amp cleaned up nicely then. I should have paid more attention to what that weird LP was, but that wasn't my focus at the time.

So anyway, the little Vox was ok. Nothing to write home about. The tremolo was sweet, as was the reverb. It would be a killer little bedroom amp for someone on a tight budget, but it wasn't anything you'd need to buy if you had other amps. But be that as it may, I might still consider snagging one. It was just so damn cute.

Comment

3 knob LP with a mini-switch - that might have been a Les Paul Custom Lite. If so, it would have had a 498T in bridge position, a hot pickup.

With the Superbeetle, you're limited by the 10" speaker. You might be hearing that as much as the amp.

I run my MV50 Clean through a 12" cab (DV Mark Neoclassic), and it sounds great - giggable, I'd say.

I will say that the 8" cab Vox voiced specifically for the MV50 series sounds surprisingly good. I'm not sure about giggable, but when I had the aforementioned rocking time at NAMM with an MV50 Rock, that was through that 8" cab - and I almost never have rocking times with cabs smaller than 12".

Comment

Yeah . . . what I've read is that the Superbeetle is an MV50, with tremolo and reverb added. As for that LP, no matter how I switched the switches and knobs, I could not get it to clean up. I need to go back and see what that thing was.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            Nice review . . . but it ain't helping my GAS.
                            Doubt if it was meant to.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X