Rig Sounding Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig Sounding Great!

We're trying to sell our house, so my Super Reverb is out in the garage hidden behind some things. Sucks because I don't get to play it much currently, good because (hopefully) it's less likely to get stolen. Anyway...

I restrung my Strat today (back to 10s in standard), and decided to reverse the pickups. I have Texas Specials with the vintage stagger, and I flipped the middle pickup awhile ago. Oz Noy does this, and I think I like the way it sounds, too. Moving on...

Once I got done restringing the guitar, I grabbed my Green Rhino, Crybaby, and headed to the garage. After a minute, the light shut off (motion detector) and I wasn't close enough to get it back on. After spending about 20 minutes tweaking knobs on the pedal and amp without being able to see them, everything started sounding really, really good. When I got done, I saw that the amp's knobs were Treble 2.5, Mid 8, Bass 2. I don't think I ever would've done that intentionally.

Normally if I change a lot of things (altering pickups, changing string gauge, adding/removing pedals, dorking with amp knobs) at the same time, I wind up really unhappy. Today it all added up to the happiest I've ever been with my stuff.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Rig Sounding Great!

It's funny to me how so many guys set their amps by the numbers and not the sound. I've done this myself. Some guys will turn everything on ten, which might work on a Marshall and a few other amps but it can be a disaster on many others.

I find Supers really bright until they are cranked, but I knew a guy who ran his 335 at T8, M2, B2 and it sounded great.

I had one festival using a provided Marshall DSL50, and using my G&L Legacy, only ran the treble and presence on 2. Had several nice comments from some other players and the sound guy about how fat my guitar sounded. Felt good. But definitely not the settings I was expecting to use, or that anyone else was using that day.

And a fun thing to do is to let your GF/wife adjust your amp or a graphic EQ while you play. Guys like that deep "V" mid-cut, while many women will actually boost the mids.

And the room can make a big difference. A cavernous hall with only a few bodies, or a tightly packed club with writhing bodies on the dance floor can play havoc with your normal settings.

Congrats on finding a great tone! It is SO fun to play when it all comes together.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Learning to adjust with your ears and not your eyes is a difficult thing to do.
      You apparently had the ideal situation where you were forced to do it....with great results.

Comment

Guitars are for mids. No surprise here.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Added bonus, with no lights, computers, TVs, etc... in the garage, that was also the loudest with the least noise I've ever had the Super
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

What vintage is your SR?

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
              What vintage is your SR?
              The serial number says 71, but the local Fender guru thinks it's more likely a 73. Regardless, it's a Silverface non-MV. I pulled V1, and run that 12AX7 as the PI. When I first got it a few years ago, I thought it was unbearably loud (I'd been playing a 15 watt modeling amp for years). Since then, I've gotten acclimated to the Super's volume, and I always miss it when I use the little amps.

Speaking of volume, I was watching Rig Rundowns earlier today, and saw Bonamassa's latest. He's running two 80-watt Twins, two 50-watt Overdrive Specials, and something else I don't remember. Even if you hate the guy, that rig has to be crazy fun to play through.

Comment

two tweed twins and two od specials? damn! he was using the two twins and two bassmans before. he has the best toys

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  Speaking of volume, I was watching Rig Rundowns earlier today, and saw Bonamassa's latest. He's running two 80-watt Twins, two 50-watt Overdrive Specials, and something else I don't remember. Even if you hate the guy, that rig has to be crazy fun to play through.
                  I watched that too. Great vid. And I love the guy.

Comment

It’s awesome when the pieces fit together.
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

The more mids the merrier.

Comment

Working...
                      X