banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp That Sounds Good For Guitar AND Bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp That Sounds Good For Guitar AND Bass?

I’m looking to purchase a new head, and I’d like to use it as a 2nd amp to compliment my Marshall DSL. But I also want to use it for bass. I was thinking Fender Bassman would be ideal, but is there any other options?

I will be swapping cabs when I use bass vs guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Amp That Sounds Good For Guitar AND Bass?

The old Silverface Bassmans (Bassmen?) sound fantastic for bass and guitar.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Orange Thunderverb 200w comes to mind,,,,,,,,in the black shell of course.

Comment

An old Fender Bassman or Showman head will work, as will most of the vintage SUNN tube and SS heads. Many of the older Peavey SS heads will work too. Bass needs lots of power, and optimized speakers.

Bill
        Last edited by Boogie Bill; 09-12-2018, 06:43 AM.
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

How about the new bass man reissues, the 100T head? Is that the same or similar to the original 70s units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How about the Peavey Vypyr VIP Series:

https://peavey.com/products/guitar-a...pyr-vip-series

You'd probably want to go straight to the Vypyr VIP 3 for bass playing.

Comment

Not necessarily necessary to swap cabs. Depends what speakers you have.
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                ....most of the vintage SUNN tube and SS heads.

Bill

My bass player played through my Sunn for a short time. Sounded good, And very loud. You can sometimes find the Sunn combos that've already been made into heads. That’s what the guys in Red Fang play.....both guitarists and the bassist/singer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0BE4E78E-67CF-4355-A27E-0CE7DB953DA8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	5809651

Comment

My first thought was a Showman, or a high output very clean amp- even a JC120 would work.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There's a Marshall JCM800 bass series head that was made back in the day. Its 100w, just the preamp has slight differences to the circuitry to keep it cleaner. I found they sounded great with a guitar if you ran a treble boost, OD, or some sort of pedal up front that pushed it harder. They're usually far cheaper than the JCM800 lead series, which are almost an identical amp..

Comment

Ampeg V4/V4-B
                      Traynor YBA-1
                      Silvertone 1483
                      Last edited by allbutromeo; 09-12-2018, 05:38 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Any loud, clean, vintage-style tube head thru bass cabs can work. Personally i use a Sunn model T and two Green Matamps for bass, but for way less money an old Bassman or V4 or non-model T Sunn would be fine.

One vintage amp brand that still flies under the radar is Univox. Handwired Japanese clones of Fenders and Marshalls. I had a 200w Plexi clone from them that rivaled my model T. Bought for like $200, sold a few years later for $400, but i still see them in the $300 range often.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

ive run bass through my dual showman reverb and a 1x15 ampeg cab and it sounded like money!

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                            An old Fender Bassman or Showman head will work, as will most of the vintage SUNN tube and SS heads. Many of the older Peavey SS heads will work too. Bass needs lots of power, and optimized speakers.

Bill
                            Yup, you want a 100+ watt for bass. 50 watt bassmans will be headroom challenged. As others have said a Dual Showman. Run 7581A tubes in it and maybe a 12AY7 in the bass channel. 100 watt tube Marshalls could also work especially if converted to run 6550s.
                            Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 09-12-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to lie, I have a 5E3 clone and my bass amp blew up one day before rehearsal. I unplugged the speaker in the 5E3 and plugged in the bass cabinet to it instead. It sounded AWESOME on bass! My bassist asked if we could use that amp instead from now on lol
                              -
                              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X