Yeehaw! Film@11

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vox_resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5849141

Re: NAD: Vox (I love UPS.)

Ruh-roh...

Looking forward to the unboxing. Are you gonna film yourself cutting the packing tape? I love the videos that do that.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I hate videos that do that. But for you bro, I might make an exception.

Comment

Is this what I think it is?

Comment

It isn't the SuperBeetle. Dadgummit.

But I think it could still be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            It isn't the SuperBeetle. Dadgummit.

But I think it could still be fun.
            Ahhh, thought it was that.

But hey, A. it's guitar gear and B. Vox makes awesome stuff so let the good times roll!

Comment

It was MF's stupid deal of the day. And since I'm stoopid, I caved.

Comment

rock head and one cab?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I hate videos that do that. But for you bro, I might make an exception.
                  Please, I can't wait. Your wiring advice has been excellent over the years, so I bet I can learn something from your tape cutting technique, as well.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

NuTube...the answer....shortly????

Comment

I'm going to do a quik-'n-dirty mini-review. There's been a serious health event in the family and I haven't had much time to play with stuff. My wife just went to watch the kids at the hospital, so I got to mess with this a little.

Anyway, my first mistake, (since this thing is so tiny), was to set it up on my workbench, with the little 8-incher beaming right into my face. Sounded like icepick crap. Setting it on the floor, helped a little. But there's no mistaking this little cab for what it is: a cheap-ish practice speaker. Which is a shame because the build quality is nice. Looks killer. I wonder if a little 8" Celestion or Eminence would help this?

Then I plugged the amp into my 112 Celestion cab. Huge difference. The total lack of bass in the 8" cab came back with the 12" cab. This thing does a pretty good clean. (Gain on zero.) You might say "sterile", but that hi-fi quality lends itself to pedals well, and for checking out new pups. Stayed clean up to uncomfortably loud. Btw, that little VU meter barely moves until you're up into that "too loud" area. I might see if I can recalibrate it to be a bit more sensitive and useful. I suppose I should mention at this point, that I'm using my PG set for this test.

Then I started to dial up some gain. A little is "ok". Much past 10 0'clock, meh. Grainy and harsh. Definitely loud. I wonder if the NuTube needs to be broken in? Then again, I need to spend more time with this. I did say this review was q-'n-d.

I really wish I'd gotten the "Clean" version, but this was MF's SDOTD, so I can't complain. I might even see if someone with a "clean" would want to trade for the "Rock". Better yet, (when I get the time), I'm going to open this up and see if the mods to convert it from one version to another might be obvious. And do-able.

Artie

Comment

Thanks for the review and I pray that whatever health issues you’re going through are resolved ASAP.

So the cab is nicely built but the speaker might be crap? Wondering if it could work as a tweed cabinet for champ flavor with the right speaker.

Also curious to know what’s inside, I would have guessed it looks more like a computer than an amp

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                          Thanks for the review and I pray that whatever health issues you’re going through are resolved ASAP.
                          It was my sister-in-law had a massive heart attack. She's stable now, but still under care.

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                          So the cab is nicely built but the speaker might be crap? Wondering if it could work as a tweed cabinet for champ flavor with the right speaker.

Also curious to know what’s inside, I would have guessed it looks more like a computer than an amp
                          I'll try to get some "nudie" pics up.

Comment

I don't think I'm going to mess with this baby. Maybe if I was 20 years younger, and still had access to a micro-min soldering lab. Maybe.

Name:	Vox-01.jpg
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	5809820

Name:	Vox-02.jpg
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	5809821

Name:	Vox-03.jpg
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	5809822

I'm guessing that the front panel module is what determines its personality.

Comment

I love the Vox MV's too, but must confess...I hate UPS (in my area anyway)!

Comment

Working...
                              X