Took the leap and ordered IEMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the leap and ordered IEMs

That is In Ear Monitors, custom made for me. The hardest part of using IEMs is that it sounds like you are playing along to a CD, vs a live rock band. I am used to this. I have been using IEMs for awhile, so the debate really isn't about that...it is if (much more expensive) custom ones are a big difference in comfort and quality.

Yes, they cost as much as a decent amp. But the ones we currently use live (generic Shures) are uncomfortable, and my sound isn't quite right. I had considered just a good small amp pointed at me like a monitor, but I figured, I want to get away from carrying my amps to a gig. I use a Fractal, so the main PA sound is glorious. So, I spent the money, went out and got the ear impressions done, and now I wait. These will have 6 drivers in each ear, and be a lot more comfortable than what I am using now.
    Yeah, it is way different to get used to vs an amp (I still like my amps), but overall the sound onstage and out front is consistently better and clearer when we are all using IEMs. I dig the fact that the stage volume is so much less, and the stage is really clear of most equipment. So, we will see how this goes. The company is a local, but international one. They are a mile from my house and we know a lot of the same people. It is a family business, and they have gotten some great recommendations. They take a few weeks to make and then I go in for a final fitting.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: Took the leap and ordered IEMs

I’ve been resisting and using Shures as well because it’s very expensive and non-returnable. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

I had some IEM’s a while back and hated them.
      Now, it was a cheap single driver pair so I know that’s why I didn’t like them. The vocals sounded fine but my guitar sounded like a Crate G10. Terrible.
      I really should upgrade to a quad driver set of buds and try again.

@mincer
      What were you using before this custom pair? How many drivers in the buds? And did your guitar/ bass guitar sound realistic?

Comment

I was using single driver Shures, which were uncomfortable and made everything sound like an AM radio.

Comment

Those look cool, but I wonder how they get 6 drivers into an earpiece.

Comment

Yeah, that’s the problem I had with them. I just couldn’t deal with the poor sound quality

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Those look cool, but I wonder how they get 6 drivers into an earpiece.
              There are companies that do 12 per ear.

Comment

That’s crazy. The ones I use are 3 and I’m already happy. 12 must be like having a tiny orchestra in your ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                  That’s crazy. The ones I use are 3 and I’m already happy. 12 must be like having a tiny orchestra in your ears.
                  How does your guitar sound translate through 3 drivers?
                  Does it sound like a guitar with good tone or are you compromising as compared to what you hear from your amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    How does your guitar sound translate through 3 drivers?
                    Does it sound like a guitar with good tone or are you compromising as compared to what you hear from your amp?
                    I’m quite happy now. For me the biggest improvement was being able to crank the bass without it taking everything over and the keys, guitar and voice being clearly separated. Specifically the guitar tone is IME very dependent on the mic. We now have a condenser mic instead of the classic SM57 that is really faithful to what I hear in front of the amp.

I’m interested in Custom because the fit of the IME is not great.

Comment

Yeah, the fit is what bothers me about the generic ones, even over the bad sound. I figured that I am either going to do it right or not at all, so I went for the 6-driver one.

Comment

One of the things I've read about on audio forums, is that IEM's are hypersensitive to cable "bump" The tiniest little joggle transmits up through your ear. I wonder if they've dealt with that in IEM's at this pricepoint?

Comment

My bass player just got his first pair of IEM with quad driver buds. They were an inexpensive set from a company called KZ. He seems to like them a lot. Maybe I’ll grab a set and give them another try.

Comment

I find it funny that people complain about the sound of the inexpensive one's. If you can hear your instrument, even if it sounds like an am radio, then you should still be able to play.
                            I've tried to get my band mates, for years, to realize that what they hear is not what an audience is hearing, and that they should be able to play as long as they can hear themselves along with the others in the band.
                            Even with floor monitors, due to stage volume, I still don't think that you hear what the audience is hearing. Plus your ears are getting punished by the stage volume. I would think that even the least expensive IEM's would be better in that at least you're not damaging your hearing.
                            Sure, if you can afford better, as with anything, get better. But if all you want is to hear your own instrument in all it's pristine glory, isn't that what your practice room is for?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought I’d share this how to make a custom mold for your IEMs. I’ve never done it frankly because I think it looks weird but one day I might out of frustration

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              One of the things I've read about on audio forums, is that IEM's are hypersensitive to cable "bump" The tiniest little joggle transmits up through your ear. I wonder if they've dealt with that in IEM's at this pricepoint?
                              I’ve only had that experience with wireless when the antenna was far or poorly setup. When looking for my IEMs, I met an IEM freak via Craigslist that was selling his collection of 30 or so. He was convinced that the IEM cable made a massive difference, he even recommended me specific cable brands to upgrade mine and he clearly knew what he was talking about.

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              My bass player just got his first pair of IEM with quad driver buds. They were an inexpensive set from a company called KZ. He seems to like them a lot. Maybe I’ll grab a set and give them another try.
                              I hadn’t heard about those, they are cheap and have awesome reviews!

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              I find it funny that people complain about the sound of the inexpensive one's. If you can hear your instrument, even if it sounds like an am radio, then you should still be able to play.
                              I've tried to get my band mates, for years, to realize that what they hear is not what an audience is hearing, and that they should be able to play as long as they can hear themselves along with the others in the band.
                              Even with floor monitors, due to stage volume, I still don't think that you hear what the audience is hearing. Plus your ears are getting punished by the stage volume. I would think that even the least expensive IEM's would be better in that at least you're not damaging your hearing.
                              Sure, if you can afford better, as with anything, get better. But if all you want is to hear your own instrument in all it's pristine glory, isn't that what your practice room is for?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                              Fair. My frustration was that playing with IEMs is weird enough already and I really miss the connection to my bandmates and listeners so I might as well at least have decent sound

Comment

Working...
                              X