Easiest amp to service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest amp to service?

Conventional wisdom would have it that a point-to-point wired amp is easier to service than one with PCBs. Point-to-point is generally a boutique thing.

But then I hear talk (maybe just rumors) that good tube amp techs are getting harder to find, even here in Los Angeles, the guitar/amp capital of the US.

So would a current Fender production PCB-wired amp actually be easier to service in that there are likely more Fender-certified amp techs around (local GCs, etc.)?

Lest one think that solid state avoids the complications of tubes, I recently tried to have a Tech 21 Trademark 60 amp serviced here in LA. The one amp tech I tried refused my business and pointed me towards a shop that does general electronics repairs. Are solid state amps are even harder to service than tube ones?

I'm curious how people think around this topic. While shopping for anything, one generally wonders how hard it is to get parts down the road, etc.

Re: Easiest amp to service?

A good solid state amp wouldn't really require service much, but probably would be nigh-unserviceable commercially if it does die

You could always take it apart and see if there's an accumulation of sh!t inside or something is visibly burned or damaged
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      A good solid state amp wouldn't really require service much, but probably would be nigh-unserviceable commercially if it does die

You could always take it apart and see if there's an accumulation of sh!t inside or something is visibly burned or damaged
      Unless it uses surface mount components, solid states is serviceable just as tube amps.

Tube amps are much easier to service though.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

No, thru hole SS is not harder to service than tubes, SMT requires some special tools though. The circuitry is different, either the service guy you took it to only knows tubes and that is all he works on, or, he is a tube snob and won't work on anything else (either way, same result). But, the good news is, the general electronics guy should be just as qualified to service the SS amp as an "amp tech". Tubes, maybe, maybe not, but for SS it should be fine.

Comment

As the components get smaller
          It gets increasingly difficult to work on these things
          Tube amps are going to the smaller surface mount resistors and such as well

Tube amps generate much more heat and thus I would think would require more regular service

Most solid state, as said above, would be almost service free barring any unforeseen acts of wanton disregard

My Laney got plugged into a miswired 110 plug and handled the 240 volts it found like a champ
          It was much louder. And sounded awesome

But then it sounds pretty awesome anyways
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The easiest amp to service is the one that doesn't need service. Buy quality and don't worry about it breaking down.

That said, being that you're in L.A., buy an amp from one of the many manufacturers located in So Cal. Should it need attention, you can usually drop it off at the amp builder and they'll know the amp inside and out, given the fact they designed it. I've done this with Bogner and Fryette, and both have been wonderful experiences.

Comment

hand wired amps, new or old, are the easiest to work on. ss vs tube doesnt really matter

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                No, thru hole SS is not harder to service than tubes, SMT requires some special tools though. The circuitry is different, either the service guy you took it to only knows tubes and that is all he works on, or, he is a tube snob and won't work on anything else (either way, same result). But, the good news is, the general electronics guy should be just as qualified to service the SS amp as an "amp tech". Tubes, maybe, maybe not, but for SS it should be fine.
                Tube amps are easier to service in DIY as you'll have less components to go through figuring out whats wrong.

By "as serviceable" I meant they're no different if you go for professional.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                  The easiest amp to service is the one that doesn't need service. Buy quality and don't worry about it breaking down.

That said, being that you're in L.A., buy an amp from one of the many manufacturers located in So Cal. Should it need attention, you can usually drop it off at the amp builder and they'll know the amp inside and out, given the fact they designed it. I've done this with Bogner and Fryette, and both have been wonderful experiences.
                  I tend to think along these lines, though I've found that even good amps require service. The abovementioned Tech 21 Trademark 60 is a good amp. It did have issues, being an older model. I ended up taking it to the general electronics repair store and paying a lot for the repairs.

The local SoCal resources are indeed rich - off the top of my head, I can think of Bogner, Fryette, Friedman, Morgan, Bad Cat, maybe Fender USA (I'm not sure where those amps are made), and Mesa's Hollywood store standing behind the NorCal-made amps.

I guess that if I have the luxury of buying local, I should probably do so.

Comment

Mesa has a page on their website of the authorized service places, and then you can always send just the chassis home to Petaluma if needed.

Comment

In my experience generally solid state require less maintenance, but when they do they are a pain in the butt. Take for example my Orange CR120 and Rockerverb 50 MKIII. The Cr120 really never neads service, it has just always worked, very high quality amp. Highly recommend. I have opened it up only to realize that even with a masters in engineering (albeit fluid dynamics) I have no friggin idea what is going on inside. My Rockerverb 50W requires more love. Changing tubes is pretty easy and I do my own biasing. Generally I would say tube amps are easier to maintain, while solid state requires less maintenance.
                      "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                      Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                      Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                      Jackson dx10d
                      DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                      MXR Carbon Copy
                      MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

For me it doesn't matter. SS or tube I still drive them to the same repair shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          For me it doesn't matter. SS or tube I still drive them to the same repair shop.
                          Exactly this!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            There is one place around here that does any component level repair on electronics and out of three times I've taken my stereo amp there they haven't been able to fix anything.

I've given up with it and do it all myself now.

Comment

The easiest amp to service is the amp whose circuit you learn inside and out.

Then apply your soldering skills - et voila.

You'll never need Guitar Center or an amp tech again.

(but discharge the caps before poking around in there)

Comment

Working...
                              X