Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT-1R vs VOX AV30

Hi guys,

I while ago I bought a HT-1R after doing some research. It seemed great on the reviews and youtube. I even took one of my guitar to a shop to try it personal. I found it used and it also sound great, so I took it. However, I kinda don’t like the sound anymore... I feel it sounds to small and not pure. So I put it up for sale.

On the same shop, I tried the VOX, of which I’ve never heard before. It sounded great and seemed more versatile than the HT. But since my mind was set on the 1-watter, I went on that direction.

I saw an AV30 for sale used amd asked for a discounted and was rejected. Someone wrote to me interested in the HT and by coincidence is the owner of the AV for sale. So I’m considering in offering him to trade 1:1.

What do you think? Would that be a fair trade or even on my favour? We’re asking the same price for both amps, so it seems fair to me.

Do you have any experience with either of the amps? If so, what is your opinion?

Cheers!
    Walter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Re: Blackstar HT-1R vs VOX AV30

Is it the combo version of the HT-1? Have you tried it through a bigger cabinet?

Comment

The AV series doesn't get enough love, IMO. I have the AV30 and love it. I've gigged with it with a very loud drummer, outdoors even, with no problem with stage volume. Great little amp. Totally analog modeling with digital effects (chorus, reverb and delay). Get the 5-button footswitch and there's a tap tempo button on it. Vox has done really well with these. I used to use a Vox AD50VT modeler and sold it because I threw my back out (too heavy to lug around anymore) and got the AV30 at less than half the weight. I'm not familiar with the Blackstar but if you like the AV30, go for it.
      Last edited by ErikH; 09-27-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Is it the combo version of the HT-1? Have you tried it through a bigger cabinet?
        Nope, the combo. I could try it with the cab of my Gigmaster to see if it improves. But it would defeat the purpose of having a combo.

"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

True.

Too bad you don't like it. FWIW, those little tube amps sound a hell of a lot better through a good cab. I traded a Randall RD5 combo for an RD1 head and a 1x12 cab. HUGE improvement even when I "downgraded" from the 5W to the 1W version of the same amp.

Good luck with the trade.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-26-2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            True.

Too bad you don't like it. FWIW, those little tube amps sound a hell of a lot better through a good cab. I traded a Randall RD5 combo for an RD1 head and a 1x12 cab. HUGE improvement even when I "downgraded" from the 5W to the 1W version of the same amp.

Good luck with the trade.
            I wouldn't go as far as saying that I don't like it... it's just that I wish it sounded better. Could amp location be an issue? It's so small that it's always pointing at my feet, I placed it at an angle on a guitar stand and the sound certainly improved. Any tips on how to improve it further?

As for the small head with big cab. My Gigmaster 15 has a built-in power soak (15W-5W-1W) and on any setting is miles ahead of the little HT. I'll try the HT on the E110 cab and see if it helps. But, wouldn't it take more power to move a 10" speaker compared to a 8" one. What I mean is, wouldn't it be louder? The Gigmaster is my absolute best amp, but since it's head+cab I don't like moving it around the house. So I leave in the living room where I can let it rip whenever I want and keep the HT in the bedroom for quite and late-night practicing.

Thanks again.

FYI, I won't trade. I figured I'll give this one a try and I want an amp that is as simple as possible, too many option like that VOX will drive me mad.

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
              FYI, I won't trade. I figured I'll give this one a try and I want an amp that is as simple as possible, too many option like that VOX will drive me mad.
              Funny you say this. Most amps drive me mad because of all the stuff on them but in the case of this Vox, and the prior one I had, it doesn't get any simpler for a modeler. It's a WYSIWYG interface. There is no saving a program anywhere or anything. Plug and play with 2 channels and the basic effects. It's almost as if they made the amp for me. Out front I have the footswitch and a Crybaby, that's it.
              Last edited by ErikH; 09-28-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                Funny you say this. Most amps drive me mad because if all the stuff on them but in the case of this Vox, and the prior one I had, it doesn't get any simpler for a modeler. It's a WYSIWYG interface. There is no saving a program anywhere or anything. Plug and play with 2 channels and the basic effects. It's almost as if they made the amp for me. Out front I have the footswitch and a Crybaby, that's it.
                I agree with you! For a modeling amp (although they say this is not) this is extremely simple, and that is what I like about it. But for me, two channels is already too much. I had a VOX AC4C1-12 which was great, I sold it because my ENGL sounded better and could be played quieter. Now I'm looking into selling it and the others and finding one great amp.

If this exists, let me know. These are the features I want/need:

Desired:
                • Lowest wattage possible and/or with the built-in power soak
                • hybrid or 1-pre 1-power valves
                • single channel
                • 1x10 inch speaker
                • 2-3 band eq
                • gain + volume controls
                • affordable

Optional:
                • FX-loop
                • Reverb
                • External speaker
                • Headphones

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
                  I agree with you! For a modeling amp (although they say this is not) this is extremely simple, and that is what I like about it. But for me, two channels is already too much. I had a VOX AC4C1-12 which was great, I sold it because my ENGL sounded better and could be played quieter. Now I'm looking into selling it and the others and finding one great amp.

If this exists, let me know. These are the features I want/need:

Desired:
                  • Lowest wattage possible and/or with the built-in power soak
                  • hybrid or 1-pre 1-power valves
                  • single channel
                  • 1x10 inch speaker
                  • 2-3 band eq
                  • gain + volume controls
                  • affordable

Optional:
                  • FX-loop
                  • Reverb
                  • External speaker
                  • Headphones
                  About the only place I can recommend to start is to look here: https://www.sweetwater.com/c625--1_x...tar_Combo_Amps

There's a good selection of 1x10 amps there. These days you may have to make some sacrifices on the feature set though and be OK with a little extra.

Comment

I just saw that a store nearby having a weekend sale and are giving the Blues Cube Hot for about 400 bucks!?

Any comments on that one?

Comment

Same i initially really liked my ht1-r but after awhile it started to fade and become boring sounding.

Comment

Changed my mind i put the ht1r through the 5150 cab and it sounded powerful so i'm keeping mine now. I did notice (and i didn't think it was possible i thought only pickups did it) but it makes the guitar a lot more microphonic compared to the jsx head through the 5150 cab.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                          Changed my mind i put the ht1r through the 5150 cab and it sounded powerful so i'm keeping mine now. I did notice (and i didn't think it was possible i thought only pickups did it) but it makes the guitar a lot more microphonic compared to the jsx head through the 5150 cab.
                          That could be a preamp tube on the way out too.?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            That could be a preamp tube on the way out too.?
                            That's sad news the amp isnt that old.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                              That's sad news the amp isnt that old.
                              Sometimes a tube just goes...nothing to do with the amp per se.

Comment

Working...
                              X