New amp in da HOUSE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp in da HOUSE!

Found an old 1991 Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head in a real Anvil flight case in one of the local Pawn shops a couple weeks back and dropped it on layaway. Brought her home today and holy $%^%# what a freekin BEAST!!
    One year only amp with both the Hot Rod Mod and the EL34's and I had owned a 100 watt version at one time. This one flat SCREAMS sounds like a great hot rodded JCM 800 and get this even a high gain is DEAD silent! Doesn't look like much being an ozzite covered X amp but MAN what TONE. It's just clear as a bell with great note definition and just sings on solos. Paid get this $250 OTD for this thing in a REAL fitted Anvil flight case!! Had to be a road warrior for somebody and is defiantly a KEEPER!! Has wax on the top and a couple other things i want to clean up before getting photos but what a HOME RUN this one was!!
    Here is a couple old live clips with the 100 watter but trust me this one sounds even BETTER!!

Last edited by Ascension; 10-11-2018, 02:37 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: New amp in da HOUSE!

Congrats on the new amp!

Comment

Enjoy it, brother!

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
        Congrats on the new amp!
        Thanks guys as bought the proverbial pig in the polk with this one as could not test the amp before I bought it. Used to work at the shop so would have gotten a store credit for the $ if things went wrong so---. Whoever had this one really took care of it as the controls are clean it's very quiet and the amp sounds absolutely fantastic! Only blemish is a candle melted down on the top and then some ran down the front to right under the controls. Got some of it off but can use suggestions on the rest!!
        Here is a quick photo on my Fender 2/12 cab.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	5810061
        PS still stuck in the 90's time warp as sitting here playing a 1993 Carvin DC 127 through a 91 Carvin X50 head on a 90 Fender 2./12 cab and about to get in my 95 Dodge Dakota truck and go to practice. My Mercedes is a 95 my Volvo a 98 Pinky my 90 Carvin X220C and all my MG Washburns from 93 to 95 plus both my Boogies ( Subway Rocket DC 5) are early 90's so---.
        Last edited by Ascension; 10-11-2018, 03:54 PM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Say hello to the hot Jennifer Love Hewitt and Alyssa Milano 90's models for me while you're there in the 90's. The 2018 version of both is horrifically aged and not user friendly.

Congrats on the new amp. It sounds stellar.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

Cool score. Enjoy the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
              Say hello to the hot Jennifer Love Hewitt and Alyssa Milano 90's models for me while you're there in the 90's. The 2018 version of both is horrifically aged and not user friendly.

Congrats on the new amp. It sounds stellar.
              Well other than the whole "she somehow looks totally Mexican now" conundrum, Milano ain't THAT bad is she?????

Not that I care, I like em far bustier
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Quick down and dirty demo at low volume here at the house. Playing the 93 DC127 with an Alt 8 Sentient set up and running the head through my late 80's Fender 2/12 cab with a pair of WGS Retro 30's no effects just amp guitar and cab.
                These are absolutely WICKED rock to metal amps + they have fantastic cleans and a really good on board spring verb and a GREAT effects loop. IMO they are one of the best used amp deals out there and are hugely underrated amps!
                STOLE this one for only $250 OTD with a REAL anvil flight case I will tell you that!!
                Guitars

Comment

I was going to defend Jennifer Love Hewitt so badly, but I did a quick google search for 2018 and uh, yikes!

Anyway, is that graphic EQ footswitchable? Loving the fact the low end sits at 70 hz... That's gonna shake things a bit!
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                    I was going to defend Jennifer Love Hewitt so badly, but I did a quick google search for 2018 and uh, yikes!

Anyway, is that graphic EQ footswitchable? Loving the fact the low end sits at 70 hz... That's gonna shake things a bit!
                    The graphic is assignable like a Boogie but on this one is not foot switchable the Effects loop, verb and channels are foot switchable with the 3 button FS 36. EQ is active so has a lot of range then the assignable graphic lets you really dial it in on the high gain stuff. These amps REALLY sing at volume so it's a little lackluster and buzzy here + I recorded it on one of my little Sony Voice recorders so--..
                    Today is the 1st time i have really been able to work with the amp since i have had it. Off day and the wife is not home so---.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 10-18-2018, 11:20 AM.
                    Guitars

Comment

If you put an ice pack on the wax you may be able to scrape some more off when it gets cold and hard.
                      Warm iron applied to a paper bag over the wax will allow the bag to soak up the wax (most of it). But, I don't think that fabric will hold up to the irons heat so maybe not a good idea.
                      Other than that, naptha (lighter fluid) should help dissolve it. WD40 is supposed to work too. If you try it, I'd probably go with the naptha over the WD40. The WD40 is more oily.

The iron and paper bag trick or the naptha / WD40 is at your own risk. The ice trick should be pretty safe to try.

Comment

Congrats!! Sounds great.

You sure love your Carvins!! Haha!!

Comment

Well done! I have been a Carvin fan for many years. I still have 3 of their guitars and 2 basses, and I have long held that their gear was wildly underrated. Your new old amp sounds great!
                          "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Makes me miss my old XV212. But I never ran EL34's. Usually 6L6's, and I can here the difference.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

First time out with this one and holy S#$@! does this amp SCREAM!! took her to Church threw it up on stage and ran it through the Egnater Tweeker cab I have off stage in the back this morning. This is really not dialed in BTW. Old Carvin absolutely BURRIED my Boogie DC 5 JUST WOW!!!

Ps running absolutely NOTHING here but my 95 ash body Washburn USA MG 102 with a JB in the bridge and the amp. Have a digital verb and Delay in the loop but the loop is off so amp guitar cable and TONE!
                              Last edited by Ascension; 11-04-2018, 05:32 PM.
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X