2x10 in a Fender Supersonic 22 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x10 in a Fender Supersonic 22 ?

I was comparing the size of the Custom Virbolux Reverb and the Supersonic 22 and they are very similar in size.

Custom Vibrolux Reverb
    Height: 18.13"
    Depth 9.63"
    Width 24.38"
    Weight 41.8 lbs.

Supersonic 22 combo
    Height 17.5"
    Depth 8.5"
    Width 24"
    Weight 40 lbs.

Has anyone tried replacing the Supersonic 22's one twelve inch speaker with a 2x10" setup like the Vibrolux Reverb has?

Also, does anyone know roughly how much the spring reverbs in these amps weigh? Assuming it's quite a bit anyone take it out to have an lighter amp to move?

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: 2x10 in a Fender Supersonic 22 ?

The blonde is quite attractive, and has two channels and an effects loop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	full_63c99c7cbb6012bfc14bf71bf03f3e88.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	5810288

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Reverb tanks are less than 2 lbs.
      AND, you'll most likely add more weight than that w/ 2X10's vs 1X12 (depending on the models, of course).
      Last edited by IM4Tone; 10-29-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

yeah, the reverb tank weighs very little. a neo mag speaker is about the only way to shave a few pounds

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
          Reverb tanks are less than 2 lbs.
          AND, you'll most likely add more weight than that w/ 2X10's vs 1X12 (depending on the models, of course).
          What explains the relatively light weight of the '59 Bassman Ltd. compared to a Super Reverb then? Very similar size 4x10 combos.

Bassman '59 Ltd. 53 lbs
          Super Reverb 65 lbs

Comment

Using the formula: Area= pi * r^2 and using the simple radius is 1/2 the nominal size of the speaker (which might be off by a bit) (eg: 5" radius for 10" speaker)

Here are the areas of the most common speaker arrays:

1x10 = 78 sq in.
            1x12 = 113 sq. in. 44% increase over 1x10
            2x10 = 157 sq. in. 39% increase over 1x12
            2x12 = 226 sq. in. 44% increase over 2x10
            4x10 = 314 sq. in. 39% increase over 2x12
            4x12 = 452 sq. in. 44% increase over 4x10
            Last edited by dr0; 10-29-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

the bassman is probably pine vs the super being ply for the cab. transformers are different and there are more of them with the super. the super has a lot more going on, its a bunch of little things that add up but id guess the cab is a big contributor

Comment

I have the blonde SS22. Love it but never thought of putting 2x10 in it, they do make a Supersonic 22 head that you could mate with a 210 cab.
                The effects loop is transparent enough that I don't notice it, and it's footswitchable.
                And the reverb pan weighs like nothing like everyone else mentioned.

It's not a backbreaking amp... and it's plenty loud with the right 12".
                But you could get a 210 baffle cut and see for yourself. Looks like they'd fit. 2 neodymium mag 10s would be very light. But unless you went neo speakers I think it would weigh more with 210.

Also the custom vibrolux reissue is supposedly a great amp but has it's own sound, I believe, pretty sure anyways, that fender modified the circuit on the CVRI to have no negative feedback, making the amp break up very early and not very smoothly. Restoring the stock negative feedback value gives you the clean tones you'd expect.

Otherwise a supersonic 210 would be still kinda different. 6v6 vs 6l6 for one. transformers are different. But it's the same blackface preamp on both +/- some tricks on the supersonic to add the burn channel and delete the tremolo. The sound would be similar i'm sure, but different.
                Last edited by FuseG4; 10-29-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  I have the blonde SS22. Love it but never thought of putting 2x10 in it, they do make a Supersonic 22 head that you could mate with a 210 cab.
                  The effects loop is transparent enough that I don't notice it, and it's footswitchable.
                  And the reverb pan weighs like nothing like everyone else mentioned.

It's not a backbreaking amp... and it's plenty loud with the right 12".
                  But you could get a 210 baffle cut and see for yourself. Looks like they'd fit. 2 neodymium mag 10s would be very light. But unless you went neo speakers I think it would weigh more with 210.

Also the custom vibrolux reissue is supposedly a great amp but has it's own sound, I believe, pretty sure anyways, that fender modified the circuit on the CVRI to have no negative feedback, making the amp break up very early and not very smoothly. Restoring the stock negative feedback value gives you the clean tones you'd expect.

Otherwise a supersonic 210 would be still kinda different. 6v6 vs 6l6 for one. transformers are different. But it's the same blackface preamp on both +/- some tricks on the supersonic to add the burn channel and delete the tremolo. The sound would be similar i'm sure, but different.

Thanks this was a very helpful response. I still have some research to do. I'm not a fanatic about the weight thing, my Bassman isn't too bad at 55lbs, what ever I did to a Supersonic it would be less than that.

I do like the idea of 2x10 configuration. Supposedly the Fender Super was Leo's favorite amp of his. A Brown Super is one of my dream amps, but hard to find, expensive and often hacked upon from what I've seen looking around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brownsuper2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	5810305

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                    Thanks this was a very helpful response. I still have some research to do. I'm not a fanatic about the weight thing, my Bassman isn't too bad at 55lbs, what ever I did to a Supersonic it would be less than that.

I do like the idea of 2x10 configuration. Supposedly the Fender Super was Leo's favorite amp of his. A Brown Super is one of my dream amps, but hard to find, expensive and often hacked upon from what I've seen looking around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93652[/ATTACH]
                    I'll admit the supersonic does visually look that sort of part, a little off but only in the eyes of purists lol.
                    The supersonic won't sound just like brown face fender but the gain channel is very capable of doing an impression of the brown fender sound.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Comment

there was a brown super at the first ugd, i think i was the only one to actually plug into it though

Comment

Just a note -The Silverface Fender Vibrolux 2x10 with Celestions is way way different from the Brownface and Blonde 1x12" Fender Vibrolux with a Jensen (some originally an Oxford -but reissues are all Jensen I believe)- The Brown and Blondes break up much different are a slightly sweeter tone but with less classic Fender Chime. the Brownface 1x12s are slightly less wide but essentially a similar amp in size and weight. I suggest throwing a Brownface or Blonde resissue into the options.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

did they reissue the brown amps? i dont recall seeing them

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                            .....................I do like the idea of 2x10 configuration. Supposedly the Fender Super was Leo's favorite amp of his. A Brown Super is one of my dream amps, but hard to find, expensive and often hacked upon from what I've seen looking around.....
                            I didn't note what your budget is, but if you're looking for a new 'Brown' Look HERE. Available in various configurations including 2X10 @ $2000. The 'Raw' control gets you into the brown sound if that's what you're after + a range of other fender amp tones.

Comment

Working...
                            X