banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low wattage tube amps, Marshall DSL? Help me choose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low wattage tube amps, Marshall DSL? Help me choose.

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
    Any opinions on a hybrid like the Orange micro series? The micro dark looks interesting. I actually played through one at a guitar center in Florida last summer. It seemed pretty good but it was through a 4x12 cab and i didn't get to play around with it much.
    I have a Micro Dark and it’s great. It loves single coils and P90s. It has an effects loop, which is useful. It can easily do Classic Rock to Black Sabbath. Probably 80’s metal too if you put a distortion pedal in front to tighten up the gain. Haven’t tried Country, but the cleans are okay.

My only criticism of the Micro Dark is that the gain sounds a little fizzy with the stock tube. Replace it with a Mullard 12ax7 ($20) and it’s perfect.
    Last edited by BenPerkins; 10-31-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Re: Low wattage tube amps, Marshall DSL? Help me choose.

Well, I came across a dsl1hr and a mx112r for $350. That was too good of a deal to pass up imo so i bought it. We'll see how the 1 watt head and the 12" does when it gets here. I figure worst case I can get my $$$ back.
      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

1W valve head with a 112 cabinet should sound plenty good/loud for at-home use. Neither of my 2W heads can be cranked at home without being isolated in a closet for recording. I can almost get away with it with my 5W head until I apply any gain to it, and then it’s game over.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I have a really cool little 25 watt tube head FS. Jet City JCA 22H Custom head that is right at a year old. Graet sounding little rig have owned 2 over the years . Reason I am parting with it is have a pair of EL 84 25 watt combos ( Mesa Subway Rocket and a Zinky Blue velvet) and over the last couple of months have wound up with a pair of 50 watt heads. Something has to go. In the shipping box from jet City lighted footswitch and a custom cover. Nice rig great low volume tones solid cleans and a hot high gain side + a really good tube effects loop.
          Outdoor gig unmiced on my Blackstar 1/12 cab loaded with a WGS retro 30 only effects were a little delay in the loop.

Have an anniversary next week and can use the $ so hit me if interested.
          Can get photos and have a amount I want to net so---.
          Amp is flawless has sat for most of it's life on stage a t my Church.
          This is it from MF
          Get the guaranteed best price on Tube Guitar Amplifier Heads like the Jet City Amplification Custom JCA22H 20W Tube Guitar Amp Head at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...
          Last edited by Ascension; 11-04-2018, 11:59 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
          X