banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Triple Crown - 50W vs. 100W head (given the built in power reduction feature)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Triple Crown - 50W vs. 100W head (given the built in power reduction feature)

I was at the almost-local music shop that carries Mesa and got to check out the Triple Crown. It seems very nice and versatility and has an absolute ton of sounds locked up inside it.

The one they had was a 100 Watt head, which I tend to think of as more than I really need. The fellow their said that the 50 Watt version was a combo, but looking at the web site the 50 is available in 1x12 combo, head and rackmount.

I do like combos a lot, but for this amp I think I would prefer the head and was wondering if in the era of built in power attenuation if people almost always get the 100 Watt because "what if" or if the 50 Watt still has some sonic niceness of it's own that drive people that way.

I've always preferred the sound of the 50 Watt JCM-800 to the 100 Watt (have played both a bunch, still own the 50 Watt) for instance. I know quite a few people who like the new 50 Watt EVH's over the 100 Watt versions.

In the Mesa Triple Crown if you go for the head the cabinet size is the same, and the price difference isn't huge (unlike the EVH's) so it seems like they are sort of encouraging you to get the 100 Watt, like the price difference in popcorn at the movies always makes you get a bigger one than you want.

Anyone have experience with any of these? What's your thinking about this.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: Mesa Triple Crown - 50W vs. 100W head (given the built in power reduction feature

Click image for larger version

Name:	mesaTC50combo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	5810306
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MesaTC50head+cab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5810307

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Re: Mesa Triple Crown - 50W vs. 100W head (given the built in power reduction feature

Personally I'd buy the 50w. The two Mesa heads I have I use on the 45w mode and they're both more than loud enough. And the 50w has the advantage of being 11lbs. lighter and slightly cheaper to re-tube than the 100w.
      sigpic
      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I own the 50w, which I bought before the 100w was released. Gig volume is around 11:00 on the master volume for me. I have no complaints, but I also have zero use for a clean tone.

I’ve never used the 100 and have no real interest in it.

The combo has a cool old school open back combo kind of sound that I like for old school overdrive and leads, but the head/cab setup is better for crunch and chug rhythm.
        Last edited by some_dude; 10-31-2018, 01:50 PM.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

The 100w head has the power-soaks for each channel, so it can run at various wattages.

Other than that I think they're identical.

Comment

Working...
          X