HELP Seymour Duncan 60W Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Seymour Duncan 60W Convertible

Desperately seeking anyone with knowledge of revisions, schematics or modifications to improve any deficiencies in the drive stage of a 60w Convertible.
    There were some changes in capacitors with MUCH higher values in my amp. Had it re-capped and original values were put back in. The amp ate one within two days,
    it was replaced with one with a higher voltage rating but now the use of any high gain module creates a huge amount of noise.
    Classic, Normal or Presence modules are fine even with the gain all the way up. I bought the amp YEARS ago not knowing that these modifications were there, and played the Dickens out of it
    Any information would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Re: HELP Seymour Duncan 60W Convertible

Welcome to the forum!

While a few people here have talked about owning the Convertible amps, I don't recall a whole lot of discussion on an issue like this. If you don't get a response, I would recommend that you contact Duncan directly @ M-F 8:00-5:00 PST
    +1(805)964.9610 or email them to see if they have schematics.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Duncan should manufacture some new modules for that amp, as the owners of them have often been frustrated with finding original modules, and I'm assuming they are also expensive if you can find them.
      Al

Comment

I've owned two of these, both 100 watt models. The caps could have been upsized to address the issue of popping rectifier tubes. To prevent blowing the rectifier tube, stop using the (DC) standby switch. Use the (AC) on/off only. Make sure the contacts on the modules are clean, no breaks. They may require a solder refresh at the contacts, as they are quite old by now. Clean the contacts using a pencil eraser. Blow-out the top of the PCB from time to time with air, and never run it with the module cover off. This prevents debris from entering the pcb assembly.

The deal with the SD Convertible is this... Did you get a good one, or did you get a lemon? The 2000 model is said to be more reliable. I'd save yourself a lot of grief, and sell it. If you like the amp, a Boogie Mark IV should more than fill your needs, and is more reliable. Word has it, that Seymour himself had one of these catch fire on him at a NAMM gig, so...
        Last edited by 67Mopar; 11-02-2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X