banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inexpensive Tube OD Pedal Into A Inexpensive Amp.........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive Tube OD Pedal Into A Inexpensive Amp.........................

A while back I had purchased a Behringer VT999 and decided to try it out again today. I had removed the original cheap 12AX7 and replaced it with an NOS 5814A (military grade 12AU7). I plugged the unit into my new Vox MV50 Clean and I was blown away. I wanted to see how a vacuum tube pedal pushing the Nu Tube in the MV50 sounded. It sounded fantastic. I think I just found a match for my new guitar rig.

Re: Inexpensive Tube OD Pedal Into A Inexpensive Amp.........................

I've been thinking about getting that pedal for a while.
    I'd be putting it thru my Kustom ph12r.
    Solid state 20.Watt with a 12" speaker.
    It's reassuring to hear it sounds good thru another ss amp.
    Thanks for the review!

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Now you need to get a pedal with a Nu Tube to complete the set!

Comment

Originally posted by mechanic1908 View Post
        I've been thinking about getting that pedal for a while.
        I'd be putting it thru my Kustom ph12r.
        Solid state 20.Watt with a 12" speaker.
        It's reassuring to hear it sounds good thru another ss amp.
        Thanks for the review!

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
        The Vox MV50 isn't a solid state amp per se, it is a digital amp with a Nu Tube device as a preamp. This amp reacts like a tube amp in that it has touch sensitivity, dynamics and even order harmonics. Some people who tried the Behringer pedal don't like it so they have modded it. Mine is working for me probably because of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          Now you need to get a pedal with a Nu Tube to complete the set!

Yes....yes....yes.....I want one. After I had built my step son his' left handed Warmoth telecaster, the wife says no more cash going out for now.

Comment

Interesting combo. I picked up a Real Tube amp that uses one of the old pedals as the dirt channel for $50 over the summer. It isn't the most versatile amp I've ever used but it does the hot Marshall thing pretty well

Comment

The Pinnacle is one of the top sellers for affordable MIAB tone. Regardless of what style you play, the best sounding sub $250.00 Boost/OD/Distortion (IMO) is the Elektron Analog Drive. Its KLON Centaur "Focused Drive" setting sounds better, that's right, better than my Centaur. The "Harmonic Fuzz" setting is toxic! Also sports a sweepable midrange function, which can be accessed via CC. This means, that each pedal setting can be used as a gain affected wah, which is cool as ****! If you get one, buy a late model, as the early ones had an issue with the control software. 100% analog signal path/digitally controlled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	5810388
              Last edited by 67Mopar; 11-06-2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Pete Thorn absolutely crushing it with that /\/\/\/\ pedal:

A demo of the Elektron Analog Drive. For info: https://www.elektron.seCheck out "Clean To Scream" by Pete Thorn: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/clean-to-s...

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  Pete Thorn absolutely crushing it with that /\/\/\/\ pedal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgYoQfdSdI
                  Yeah! How did I miss this?

It's got a ton of output as well. I'm going to try plugging mine into the effects return, to see if it can be used as a preamp.

Comment

nice pedal but kinda pricey.

Comment

The DOD Boneshaker comes with plenty of gain on tap, a 3 band parametric EQ, and a depth knob so that it can be used with baritone and bass guitars. It can be used as anything from a pretty versatile EQ pedal, a boost pedal, an overdrive, all the way up to metal levels of distortion.

And all this can be had for $40 used.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                        The Vox MV50 isn't a solid state amp per se, it is a digital amp with a Nu Tube device as a preamp.
                        Just to set the record straight, the Vox Nutube amps are analog, the preamp is all analog using the Nutube technology. The power amp is a class D power amp, the D does not stand for digital, it is just a designation like A, B, A/B, etc. While the operation of a class D power amp resembles "reverse digital sampling", actually it is PWM, pulse width modultion, it is not digital. PWM more efficient and has been used for decades to drive servo motors to get more power and higher duty cycles without burning them or their drive circuits up.

Digital electronics can't really generate that kind of power, in simplest terms, digital electronics transfer and manipulate data.

Even digital modeling amps have an analog power section, be it class A, AB, or D.
                        Last edited by devastone; 11-06-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          The DOD Boneshaker comes with plenty of gain on tap, a 3 band parametric EQ, and a depth knob so that it can be used with baritone and bass guitars. It can be used as anything from a pretty versatile EQ pedal, a boost pedal, an overdrive, all the way up to metal levels of distortion.

And all this can be had for $40 used.
                          Paid $49 for mine brand new in box off Amazon.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                              A while back I had purchased a Behringer VT999 and decided to try it out again today. I had removed the original cheap 12AX7 and replaced it with an NOS 5814A (military grade 12AU7). I plugged the unit into my new Vox MV50 Clean and I was blown away. I wanted to see how a vacuum tube pedal pushing the Nu Tube in the MV50 sounded. It sounded fantastic. I think I just found a match for my new guitar rig.
                              Put that next to a 5E3...the pure tube overdrive from that circuit is sorta my reference standard...

Comment

Working...
                              X