banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you solve this gear dilemma? (Long-ish read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you solve this gear dilemma? (Long-ish read)

As you might know, I've been a Tweaker loyalist for years. I love it. For perpetrating raunchy, vintage flavored RnR misdemeanors it's wonderful. Loud, proud, smooth and easy to live with. Beautiful cleans, too.

However, it seems like my tonal preferences have taken a U-turn this last year or so, leaning towards much heavier, saturated realms. And the Tweaker won't go that far on it's own.

I've been digging the tones on albums like Devin Townsend's Addicted, Terria and Metallica's Load for years. All of them have a heavy dose of Mesa Boogie amplification, particularly the Rectifier series I think.

So I've been getting that kind of tone from my Tweaker... In a real ghetto way. My guitar into a freakin' Line 6 Pocket POD directly to the FX Loop return of my Tweaker, in the Dual Rectifier setting, cab simulation off. I absolutely LOVE the way it sounds, man. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it! It cleans up great, crank the guitar volume and it's ****ing mayhem.

The thing is, I can do better, right?

For starters, the Pocket POD is a bit unreliable for live usage, and you can't tweak the EQ on it on the fly, or switch channels, since a clean signal into a power amp just stinks. But I think I'd like a better preamp source that MUST deliver two channels, maybe some modest FX but that will do that kind of Dual Rec savagery into a power amp, whatever that might be tomorrow.

As you might suspect, I don't care if it's tube, digital or solid state as long as it delivers some heavy American high-gain tones. No rack units, has to be a pedal.

Any ideas on how I might steer this ship a bit? I'm genuinely a bit lost for ideas here. Only thing that comes to mind is an AMT preamp.
    Last edited by Diego; 11-13-2018, 04:25 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: How would you solve this gear dilemma? (Long-ish read)

The first thing that came to my mind was the AMT R2, it has an out for running straight to the front of an amp.

The Mesa Flux Drive or Throttle Box might work too.

The Mooer 011 is their Dual Rec preamp, would probably work best straight into the fx return instead of the front end.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      The first thing that came to my mind was the AMT R2, it has an out for running straight to the front of an amp.

The Mesa Flux Drive or Throttle Box might work too.

The Mooer 011 is their Dual Rec preamp, would probably work best straight into the fx return instead of the front end.
      I'd definitely use the power amp only. No matter what you do, whatever goes through that Egnater preamp comes out too sweet and spongy for this type of ordeal. Far better results skipping it, at least for this.

I'll check out other alternatives, thanks. I think AMTs maybe are no good, since they're one channel only. I'd need two flavors, since on bypass the tone's gonna suck. Maybe I'll have to remain digital.

Comment

The AMT R2 is 2 channel, all the "2" series have the same clean channel which is Fender Twin-ish. The EQ is preset so you can't change the sound, but it is a very good clean sound IMHO.

The Mooer Minis are also 2 channel, blue/clean and red/high gain, and the EQ is adjustable and the settings are saved for each channel. The cab sim is also switchable on/off.

Comment

Blackstar HT-Dual

Comment

I would think a Palladium Gain Stage could get the sounds you want. Especially in the loop of your amp- it works really well for that.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro. Pedal "off" + SideTrak loop handles cleans, either with more pedals to make it sound good into the power amp or by just going to the front of a different amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I would think a Palladium Gain Stage could get the sounds you want. Especially in the loop of your amp- it works really well for that.
                Oh man. I'm sure it would. Sadly it's so out of my price range it's just not a real possibility today. But I love every demo I've heard of it.

Comment

Mesa Boogie V-Twin...had one for a while...it really kicks in massive overdrive/distortion...too much for my taste...~$200

Comment

How much is an old Floor POD from the same era as the Pocket POD?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Boost with an EQ is a simple solution.
                      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                        Boost with an EQ is a simple solution.
                        How so? I'm curious.

I used to run a GE7 in the loop of my Tweaker and that helped a lot, but the gain structure still wasn't what you'd describe as modern. A bit fuzzy and loose.

Comment

The Fractal AX8 has incredible Mesa Boogie tones. Check out the YouTubes done by Leon Todd.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                            How so? I'm curious.

I used to run a GE7 in the loop of my Tweaker and that helped a lot, but the gain structure still wasn't what you'd describe as modern. A bit fuzzy and loose.
                            Fuzzy and loose gain can be tightened up by putting an boost in front of the amp (not in the loop) that cuts bass and boosts mids.

That said, I don't think a Tweaker will ever get the saturation of a Recto no matter how much you boost it.

EDIT: Also, you mention Metallica's "Load" as an example of Mesa tone, but that was mostly a Diezel VH4. Metallica's Mesa years were Master of Puppets through the Black Album (which used Mesa Mark IIIs); they've been primarily Diezel users in the studio after that.
                            Last edited by Cynical; 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                              Fuzzy and loose gain can be tightened up by putting an boost in front of the amp (not in the loop) that cuts bass and boosts mids.

That said, I don't think a Tweaker will ever get the saturation of a Recto no matter how much you boost it.

EDIT: Also, you mention Metallica's "Load" as an example of Mesa tone, but that was mostly a Diezel VH4. Metallica's Mesa years were Master of Puppets through the Black Album (which used Mesa Mark IIIs); they've been primarily Diezel users in the studio after that.
                              AFAIK Load and Reload were both mostly Recto / TriAxis. James did use VH4s later, but I don't recall hearing of him using them before maybe 2000 or 2001.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X