Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever blown speakers?

If Yes --- which ones?

Through normal use? Or... Going over rated wattage? Wiring or ohmage screwups? Using bass through guitar cabs?

Were they newish or oldies? Please go into detail if you have, especially if it was highly unexpected (high wattage speaker low wattage amp; new and unabused; just one of a pair or a quad, with no wiring faults found; etc.)

PS i meant GUITAR SPEAKERS, primarily 12's
    No
    50.00%
    Yes, budget model or noname stock speakers
    11.11%
    Yes, high end pricey Celestion/Eminence/EV
    38.89%
    Yes, bass through a guitar cab
    5.56%
    Last edited by Adieu; 11-27-2018, 06:30 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: Have you ever blown speakers?

Only speakers I've ever blown were in cheap stereo-systems and boom boxes.
    I can only dream of properly blowing entire celestion-loaded 412s.
    Last edited by dave74; 11-27-2018, 04:13 AM.

Comment

One of the used Mark III Mesas I bought back in 2004 had an EVM that got raspy a few months after I bought it. Had it professionally re-coned and it has been fine ever since. I don't think the previous owner ever ran it or the matching 112 EVM Thiele cab hard at all.

I knew a pedal steel player who blew out both of his JBL D120Fs out of his SF Twin Reverb one night. He was running his amp all night on 8, so....

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Blown tweeters in cars. Plugged subwoofers into the wall outlet ... some dance longer than others. Does that count?

Comment

Never blown speakers in a guitar cab, but I've had them blow on a couple of bass cabs.
          All three were Ampeg cabs two were Classic series, a 4×10 and a 1×15, and the other was an older Pro series 2×10. I was using a GK RB700
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

yep. blew a g12h and a cannabis rex both with an old deluxe reverb. the rex was replaced under warranty for free. the g12h was way out of warranty so i had weber recone it as a g12h-55hz

Comment

blew an el cheapo 10" Jensen that came in a PRRI. Threw it away and put a 12" Weber in. Why Fender builds excellent amps and loads them with crap speakers is a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                yep. blew a g12h and a cannabis rex both with an old deluxe reverb. the rex was replaced under warranty for free. the g12h was way out of warranty so i had weber recone it as a g12h-55hz
                Multiple 12" speakers blown by a 22-watter??? Any idea why?

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                blew an el cheapo 10" Jensen that came in a PRRI. Threw it away and put a 12" Weber in. Why Fender builds excellent amps and loads them with crap speakers is a mystery to me.
                Best guess: to sell pricier amps by making the midlevel stuff sound worse than it is?
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

i assume cause i was running the amp full up and beating the hell out of the guitar. sounded glorious till the speaker pooped

Comment

My first real gigging amp was an early 80s SS Fender Princeton Chorus with the red knobs. Man, I loved that thing. Blew the speaker and decided to get something new. After that, I realized that the amp wasn't really all that great, but it was THE FIRST so had serious sentimental value to me. I eventually moved on, LOL.

Comment

Sorry although I like speakers, I don't find them that attractive...
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Nah. Never. Not even when I ran my Krank Rev Jr. through my former Vox cab with a single Greenback.

I hear the Vox AC15 and AC30 can frequently blow Blues, though.

Comment

I can't open my mouth that wide so no I haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                            Multiple 12" speakers blown by a 22-watter??? Any idea why?

Remember a Deluxe has much more low end punch than just about any amp around...my 12W 5E3 pushes a 30W speaker to the edge...

Comment

i dont know if i agree with that. bigger bf amps with 6l6's have a good amount more bottom. the 5e3 does have a lot of bottom for sure, those .1 coupling caps let it all through and with such a raw circuit it does sound like the speaker is on the edge if the amp is cookin

Comment

Working...
                              X