banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good solid-state amp recommendations? Current offerings or out of production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good solid-state amp recommendations? Current offerings or out of production?

Looking to possibly pickup a solidstate amp as a backup to my tube setup and to use as a grab and go jam rig. Having said that, what are your recommendations? I'm open to new or used, have a $300 budget, and also would need it to have onboard effects (various amp models would be nice as well).
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 12-01-2018, 09:17 PM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Re: Any good solid-state amp recommendations? Current offerings or out of production?

As said in the subject line I'm open to current offerings or out of production stuff.
    Roland Cube 60
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.

Comment

Re: Any good solid-state amp recommendations? Current offerings or out of production?

Roland JC-120

Comment

Peavey VIP2
        40 watt
        Bunch of amp models
        Bunch of pedal and guitar effects (12 string and acoustic)
        Tuner
        USB port
        But the port doesn't act as a recording out just a firmware and effect editing tool
        No effects loop

Loud enough to jam with
        Probably get lost in a full set with a loud drummer

Weighs like 30 pounds
        Get one used for about $120
        Last edited by ehdwuld; 12-01-2018, 11:14 PM.
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

A few questions,
          1. Head or combo?
          2. What style of music do you play?
          3. What kind of wattage do you need?
          For a combo my pick would be a Boss Katana 50, for a head a Fender Super Champ X2 (digital modeling/tube hybrid) or the Hotone BritWind and Mojo Attack pedalboard amps look interesting, but don't have effects besides boost and reverb.
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Roland Cube 30
            Light weight
            About 7 amp models
            Models are great sounding
            Effects are limited to a dial with few editing options
            Takes your pedals well though
            No effect loop
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

an orange cr120, this guy made me a believer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5D-nKbqUdeoHuD
              Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                A few questions,
                1. Head or combo?
                2. What style of music do you play?
                3. What kind of wattage do you need?
                For a combo my pick would be a Boss Katana 50, for a head a Fender Super Champ X2 (digital modeling/tube hybrid) or the Hotone BritWind and Mojo Attack pedalboard amps look interesting, but don't have effects besides boost and reverb.
                Combo for sure. Rock mostly so good built in distortion is a must. I'd say 50 Watts or more to be on the safe side.
                Roland Cube 60
                Mogami Cables
                Mooer Candy Toppers

Comment

I'd go for a Tech 21 Trademark 30...if you can find a Trademark 60 at that price, get it.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
                    an orange cr120, this guy made me a believer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5D-nKbqUdeoHuD
                    I like the way that one sounds better than any of their tube amps..love to get one myself

Also, an AMT Stonehead is awesome & super versatile but probably tough to find for less than $500...

& Randall makes a lot of nice ones too. My T2 is a killer sounding amp..
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
                      Combo for sure. Rock mostly so good built in distortion is a must. I'd say 50 Watts or more to be on the safe side.
                      Ok, then I will stick with my Boss Katana recommendation.
                      sigpic
                      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Anderton's recently compared the Boss Katana 50 to the new Fender Champion 50XL and I liked the Fender a lot better. So did they.

It's also way simpler to use. I'd keep an eye on it if I was you.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I say grab any silver series of Peavey's original trans tubes. Bandit, Studio Pro, Express....

Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            I say grab any silver series of Peavey's original trans tubes. Bandit, Studio Pro, Express....

Good one. Those older Peaveys are workhorses.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I will also suggest a Roland Cube 30 or 60.

They have enough amps and effects to fit into any style on the fly (Peavey can do that too, with two channels and without effects....)

They make a 60 if thats the juice you need. I played a show at a club through a 60 running straight to the board - sounded great.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X