banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a good tube amp under $1000 suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good tube amp under $1000 suggestions?

I am currently using a vox ac 15C1 with a Fromel Amp mod and better tubes. I like the tone but don't love it. I recently rented a Hot Rod Deluxe iii after watching a piece on that pedal show about the hot rod. I like this amps cleans better but it's still a little shrill when playing with a band and the mids and low end are somewhat masked by the other instruments. I'm looking for something between 14 - 40 watts great cleans and a good pedal platform or gain channel. Any Sugesstions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Looking for a good tube amp under $1000 suggestions?

Fended Deluxe Reverb 1968 Reissue Silverface is probably the best and most versatile amp under $1000. online you may see it over 1000.00 online new -BUT brick and mortar retailers get a MAP pricing at 800-900.00 especially during the holiday season.

It loves pedals (unlike the Blackface) and has mutliple different inputs including the Bassman tone stack.

It's one of a few desert island amp IMO

Here's the blurb on it from Fender:

2-channel '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb all-tube combo amp delivers everything you love about classic, late-'60s Fender amplifiers and then some. Its all-tube circuitry, handwired tube sockets, and custom-made Schumacher transformers make this one of the most accurate historical tribute amps ever made. But Fender went further by reducing the negative feedback for an amp that overdrives faster and has increased touch sensitivity. You get vintage and custom channels for two distinct voices. And it houses a 12" Celestion G12V-70 speaker for a distinct rock 'n' roll vibe. Fender's '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb gives you tons of vintage vibe with a hot-rodded punch
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks for the info i'll check out the 68 deluxe

Comment

People are going to start throwing tomatoes at me on this site because I can't say enough about the Blackstar HT Venue series. I have the Venue 40 Mark II and it is an everything in one amp. Two channels with two voicings each. The clean channel does both crystal cleans and also slightly broken up on the 2nd voicing, and the gain channel does everything from classic rock to screaming metal.

I do recommend getting the upgraded foot switch which you can buy for $80 as it has a lot more versatility than the 2 button foot switch that comes with the amp. The upgraded one has 5 buttons, one which can turn the reverb on and off, and another that is a KILLER boost. It really kicks up the crunchier 2nd voicing on the clean channel.

Another cool thing is it is rated at 40W, but has a button on the amp to lower the wattage to 4W, which is perfect for bedroom/apartment shredding.

The amp and upgraded foot switch will run you about $850.

I'm trying to get a full review of the amp on my YouTube channel this week if time allows.

Comment

thanks for the info i'll check out the Blackstar

Comment

Mid to late 60s Fender, Sunn or Univox head and a decent cab.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Anyone have experience with the hot rod deville 2/12 Someones offering to trade me for my ac 15. It's the original model with the fender special design eminence speaker

Comment

Orange Dual Terror would be a good one...
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I feel like the Hot Rod Deluxe has good bass response for fender if you have the right speaker and good tubes. It has a lot of snap and punch in my book so if you generally like the amp but just wanna take out the shrill and change the bass reponse, you could probably get away with a HRDx and a good celestion speaker. I feel like celestions with fenders helps tame ice pick and give smooth gain sounds.
                  Deville is good, but also bright/shrill in the same way as hot rod deluxe can be. It has more headroom so it can be worse cuz the sweet spot where the amp is "breathing" is a bit louder than the HRDx.

Honestly though fenders more expensive amps seem constructed a little better to me, and sound more traditional.
                  I have a Supersonic 22 and a 68 Custom Princeton currently and have had a 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue in the past...
                  The Supersonic is really good as a pedal platform and has a gain channel that smokes the hot rod deluxe except that the HRDx is a little louder and tighter bigger bass. But it is a very nice gain channel. It has a solid state rectifier so it has the tighter bass and more punch than some of the tube rectified options.
                  The 68 Custom Deluxe and DRRI have tube rectifiers and do sag a little. It might feel spongier to you than playing a hot rod deluxe.

The custom princeton I usually use no pedals but I play cleanish or light dirt mostly. But I saw Baroness do a show and the guy was using a Princeton with dirt and fuzz pedals for all the gain, and it was gnarly in a great way and just loud enough for the small club. He could get the amp well cooking. He was downtuned and it handled it, but a lot of his tones are very fuzzy and nasty, totally different from the other guitarist who had a half stack of some marshally flavor. And he didn't lose to the bass guitar either. Maybe the 10" speaker helped keep his sound mid focused and out of the bassist's area.

Also, something used in the Mesa camp might do it. They have ones with fenderish cleans but bolder sounding. But not harsh generally. And Gain channels that are excellent. Someone will chime in.

Comment

If you were going vintage, I'd say a silverface Pro Reverb, which usually can be had for around that price.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Peavey Classic 30
                      Some say you may want to swap the speaker
                      But the Blue Marvel sounds fine to me

Should be able to find them on GC used around $300
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If it was me I would want either an amp that runs 6L6GC, 5881, or EL34 tubes. I'm also a partial to Marshalls, so in that price range I will recommend the Origin 50.

Comment

In my modest experience, I'd suggest an Egnater Tweaker 40. 6L6, truly excellent cleans and two channels of pure clean, dirt or whatever you want. Lack of onboard reverb could be a deal breaker for you though. Best of luck.
                          Last edited by Diego; 12-03-2018, 11:50 AM.
                          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Peavey Delta Blues 115

Comment

If your going to spend a grand....spend a bit more and get something extraordinary

Comment

Working...
                              X