Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD/Review: Brent Hinds Terror!

Hi everybody, new member here!

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and since I really dig this place I thought I'd also join!

Since recently I've become a huge Orange amps fan and I bought a few that I'm currently demoing on my YT channel.
    One of the amps that I got is the Brent Hinds Terror so here's the demo in 4 styles and review:

This amp sounds a little bit similar to my Rocker 15 Terror but it definitely has it's own thing going on.
    The clean channel has a thick and warm sound with a lot of mids.
    It does not have that bright 'fender' clarity but that could be changed with an eq pedal in front of the amp or in the loop.
    Since it only has one knob (level) you can't really tweak it much.
    I really enjoy the breakup of the clean channel though and it sounded great with the bridge pickup of my strat, not really ice-picky but more round and almost sounding like a humbucker.

This amp has very nice drive sounds on the dirty channel as you'd expect.
    It has a nice and raw sound with roaring mids and raspy highs (in a good way).
    The bottom end isn't huge sounding, so I'd say the low end is nice and tidey.
    For this reason and the lack of gain it's not the best amp for metal but it can definitely work, especially if you pair it with a good cab.
    With the gain set a little bit lower the upper mid frequencies come through better.
    It can definitely sound plexi-ish with the gain at moderate levels.

Overall it's a very cool amp with great attenuation features for the bedroom guitarists out there!
    If you're looking for a versatile Orange amp with it's own unique tonal characteristics, this could be the amp for you!
    For really heavy death metal etc. I wouldn't recommend this amp although like I said, it can do those things, just not as well as some other amps.

In case you're interested in Orange amps, I did a couple more videos:

OR15 demo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_PJ5dljzwo
    Dual Terror demo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufUwAXgKoCw
    and the Jim Root Terror:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_0KZp-NCnw
    Last edited by Guitarjon; 12-07-2018, 09:38 AM.
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: NAD/Review: Brent Hinds Terror!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the reviews! We dig people diving into their gear here, and sharing the knowledge. I think you will fit in well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the reviews! We dig people diving into their gear here, and sharing the knowledge. I think you will fit in well.
      Thank you!

I feel like such a noob but I can't figure out how to properly embed YouTube videos...
      Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

OwnHammer.com

Comment

You can only embed one per post. The tool is the one that looks like a film strip on the toolbar at the top (at least on windoze).

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          You can only embed one per post. The tool is the one that looks like a film strip on the toolbar at the top (at least on windoze).
          Thanks, that worked!!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

The BH Terror sounds great on the gain sounds, if it had more control over the clean channel it would be a slam dunk for me, but I want more sparkly cleans sometimes and I don't want to have to mess with switching channels and hitting a EQ at the same time.

Comment

Nice demo, brother!!!

What load box are you using? It looks like Fractal or the Suhr.

Awesome tones. I could learn a lot from you. Just started my own YouTube channel and yours is very pro looking. Awesome stuff and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                The BH Terror sounds great on the gain sounds, if it had more control over the clean channel it would be a slam dunk for me, but I want more sparkly cleans sometimes and I don't want to have to mess with switching channels and hitting a EQ at the same time.
                I understand what you're saying about the clean channel.
                It's pretty dark if you ask me, normally my strat on the bridge pickup wouldn't work as easily but I'm glad it worked because I really dig how it sounds.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
                  Nice demo, brother!!!

What load box are you using? It looks like Fractal or the Suhr.

Awesome tones. I could learn a lot from you. Just started my own YouTube channel and yours is very pro looking. Awesome stuff and thanks for sharing!
                  Thanks!
                  It's the Fractal LB-2 X-Load reactive load.
                  I'm really digging it.
                  It does it's job well as I don't notice any tonal artifacts that my previous loadbox did exhibit.
                  I had the Jet City Jettenuator for a little while, it's a lot cheaper but I didn't like the impact it seemed to have on the sound.
                  Didn't have the chance to do a direct comparison though.
                  I would highly recommend the Fractal one but I'm sure others like the Suhr are great too!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I want this amp. The past year sucked for me, I missed half a year of work due to knee problems and surgery so I couldn't really splurge on something like this head and a cab. Now that I'm back at work I want to get something that makes me want to play again. I've heard people say it's got sort of a JTM45 quality on lower gain settings. At $749.00 it seems like a no-brainer.

Comment

My knee-jerk reaction was "you call that clean?" But that's just me coming from that fender guy standpoint lol you saw that kind of reaction coming already. Whatever you call it it sounded good, thanks for your demo!
                      I loved the or15 sand feel like I would like the BH terror

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

This amp stemmed from Ade Emsley doing his take on Brent Hinds' Marshall JMP preamp running into the Terror power section. It's much more Marshally than other Oranges for sure. I might pick one up someday to use when I want that kind of tone, although when my OR15 has its gain set low and is EQ'd right, it comes pretty close.

Good sounds and playing. Welcome to the forum.
                        Last edited by guitfiddle; 02-02-2019, 01:32 PM.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Thanks guys!

It's a cool little amp indeed but it does really have it's own voice.
                          Not as much low end is one might expect for example.
                          Glad to own one though!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I play one pretty often with an Orange 2x12 with Vintage 30s -great sounding little amp.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Cant check the clips here at work, but will from home in next couple days. I played a Jim Root TT and had a bit of fun with it. I dont have a place to "squeeze" many oranges, so look forward to checking your diff demos. From all Ive read, there is one model that I think may really appeal to me, but cant think of the model name right now. haha
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X