banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Boogie Single Recto V2 Burned Resistor(s) Help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Single Recto V2 Burned Resistor(s) Help !

I just got this Single Recto V2 head 2 weeks ago and have a problem with it that I pretty much have cleaned up,but I am needing help identifying a burned resistor in the V1 area of the pcb.

When I got the amp I pulled out the chassis to do a thorough inspection and cleanup if needed,and I saw what I thought was a repair job already done,so I went with it and the amp has sounded awesome until Friday evening.

I noticed a huge volume drop on the clean channel,so i did the tube tapping test with some wood chopsticks and found V1 easily was the problem,so I put a good tube in there and it stayed the same.

I have the area on the pcb cleaned of all burned carbon and residue and need the resistor value of the 1 resistor that cooked..in the picture(s) i have 1 of the burned resistor,and 1 where there is an empty space where the burned resistor was,and the value in ohms and watts of resistor needed..as in the pictures I have not taken out the 2 resistors that are on the opposite sides of where the burned one was,but those will be gone and replaced with new ones,and I have the specs for them already.

I have scoured all over Google and all other places I have thought of and found only 2 cases of this same thing happening but was left with no info,so I will ask here and I guess call Mesa Boogie tomorrow and see what they say,but their schematic is very different and I can't find the info I need there..

On the pcb of my amp there are no locations or part size(s) etched or written on the pcb,only underneath once the part is removed,so under the resistor on my amps pcb it cooked enough to where the info isn't there anymore,but not so much the made the pcb un-usable,its fine now after a good cleaning and ready to go,just need the proper resistor.

Any information here is in advance greatly appreciated,I just want to fix amp and jam !

Please PM me here or leave info in thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by moshpit817; 12-09-2018, 04:26 PM.

Re: Mesa Boogie Single Recto V2 Burned Resistor(s) Help !

You'll have nothing but problems until you replace the board.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
      I was also going to ask them while I had them on the phone if they still make,carry etc boards for this amp,so I could plan for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        I had read in the only other post that had this same problem and somebody answered him and said Mesa Boogie puts all their componets,resistors etc in too close to each other and all the way down onto the pcb and the traces and thats why this happens,he recommended to him to lift all resistors and caps etc around 3/16'height off the pcb or carbon would form again and do the exact same thing.so yeah I will ask them about a new board tomorrow..I do know the amp sounded awesome for the very short time and depending on price well worth it to fix it.

Comment

I have looked a lot tonight and can't find the value of that resistor, found what's supposedly the schematic, but it definitely doesn't match.
          But it's definitely on v2a, something near the 39K cold clipper (that's on the right of your burned resistor) but I can't find what the 22K resistor on the left is for, or what that burned one was.

But yeah, carbon tracks are conductive, I imagine that burn on the PCB will create problems.

Comment

I have a series 2 single in which the clean channel "goes out" after it's been running for awhile.

When this happens I lose function of the clean channels's gain, tone stack, and clean channel volume.(can still control volume with the red's gain and the global output, so regulating volume really isn't an issue, but the clean's volume knob doesn't have any effect)

The presence knob on the cleans does still work fine. (probably because on the cleans the presence is NOT part or the preamp, even though the knob is placed there for convienence)

When this happens the gain channel's gain knob becomes like a clean pre-volume, so in other words if I am on cleans and it happens then it can instantly be super loud if the gain is set high on the red channel. (scares the holy heck out of me)
            Now knowing that I can always just turn the dirty gain down when on the cleans just in case it happens.

The cleans channel is still usable when this happens,, but not as intended.

The red channel still functions 100% and has never had any issues. Sounds awesome IMO.

The straight into the effects return thing still works fine for outboard preamps/pedals-chains.

My completely uneducated suspicion is that the issue is the clean channel's gain pot or the clean-pushed switch.(or something there about)
            Last edited by dave74; 12-10-2018, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X