PowerStage 700 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerStage 700 question

I recently purchased a modeler and the PowerStage 700 seems to be highly recommended by a lot of people. I am considering buying one, but I have some concerns I hope I could get addressed in this forum. I am trying to set up my rig for easy setup/teardown for gigging and, since I have a rack modeler, this means using a rack for me. The PowerStage 700 gives an option for rack-mounting but there are some weird things about it. Firstly, the unit is not 1u or 2u, but somewhere in between the too, which seems odd. Secondly, the inputs are on the front and the power switch is on the back, which doesn't lend itself to neat and organized wiring within the rack because of the front inputs, and it doesn't lend itself to ease of observing proper power on/off procedures for a rack system(PowerAmp ON last, PowerAmp OFF first to avoid popping and potential speaker damage to the cab or PA). Lastly, although the PS 700 has an option for rack-mounting, the unit is clearly labeled to allow 6" of clearance for proper ventilation. This doesn't make sense either. 6" in which direction? What about heat issues? Is this really a viable solution in a rack? I have heard that the PS 170 'Pedal amp' is a notoriously HOT piece of equipment after running for a while. Does the PS 700 get crazy hot like this as well? I really cant risk damage to adjacent equipment due to unreasonable heating of the PS 700, and really, who can? I was just hoping to get some feedback on the above points from Seymour Duncan or anyone in this forum who owns one of these and has experience using one in a rack. I know this unit is also targeted to the traditional pedalboard crowd and, for that application, i would imagine it is a great solution. But for rack gear? Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Again here are my questions in summary:

1)What's up with the inputs on the front? Makes for sloppy wiring IMHO...
    2) What's up with the power switch on the back? Makes for difficulty in proper power ON/OFF sequence...
    3) 6" Inches of clearance for ventilation? In which direction? Could be a practical deal breaker in a rack scenario
    4) I hear these things get hot, but how hot? Dangerously so, given that it would be in a rack?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and, again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

axeGrinder
    Last edited by axeGrinder; 12-23-2018, 11:24 PM.

Re: PowerStage 700 question

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know how they determined where to put the power switch or jacks, or the 1.3 rack space size, for that matter. But the product is designed and already to market, so that kind of stuff is already decided and unlikely to change in the near future (maybe Riley can chime in on this). I haven't heard of either the 170 or 700 overheating no matter where they are, so maybe they are just extra cautious. The 700 will naturally have space around it when racked (it is a strange size, after all), and no doubt they did testing to see if it could be in a rack with other things. If anyone has had overheating issues, maybe they will come in here. I have used a 170 on very hot festival shows in Florida, and it was fine.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks, Mincer!!

I'll wait and see if Riley chimes in or I'll call SD tomorrow. My comments about the odd size and the inputs & power switch locations were more of a rant than anything. I realize these decisions have already been made. Thanks for the feedback and for sharing your experience with the PS 170!!

Comment

Originally posted by axeGrinder View Post

1)What's up with the inputs on the front? Makes for sloppy wiring IMHO...
        2) What's up with the power switch on the back? Makes for difficulty in proper power ON/OFF sequence...
        3) 6" Inches of clearance for ventilation? In which direction? Could be a practical deal breaker in a rack scenario
        4) I hear these things get hot, but how hot? Dangerously so, given that it would be in a rack?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and, again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

axeGrinder
        Hey axeGrinder, I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1 & 2 - I hear you, we've gotten this feedback from other users as well and we are keeping it in mind going forward!

3 - Power Stage 700 should have plenty of ventilation on the sides, given the way it racks.

4 - It can get hot, although 700 runs cooler than 170. I wouldn't expect it to damage other equipment, but it would probably be best not to rack anything heat sensitive directly above it.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

hello family, someone who uses the SD Power Stage 700 with Eleven Rack? Could you tell me what is the best way to connect with one another and how to configure it so that it sounds as good as possible? Thank you very much in advance. 1 hug

Comment

Got to be inputs on the back panel as well; nobody would design a 700W power amp without 'em.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I stand corrected - the 700 does not appear to have inputs on its back panel. Omitted to keep manufacturing cost at a minimum perhaps. I bet the engineers included 'em in the original design though.

You could cut a hole in the left rack ear so you can pass two cables through it. And smooth or pad the edge of the cutout, just to be on the safe side - insulation is soft and road wear is relentless.

Now that I think of it, the ears probably have a space predrilled, since the kit is specifically for people who will be rack mounting the amplifier. The design team knows this will involve using those jacks.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                I stand corrected - the 700 does not appear to have inputs on its back panel. Omitted to keep manufacturing cost at a minimum perhaps. I bet the engineers included 'em in the original design though.

You could cut a hole in the left rack ear so you can pass two cables through it. And smooth or pad the edge of the cutout, just to be on the safe side - insulation is soft and road wear is relentless.

Now that I think of it, the ears probably have a space predrilled, since the kit is specifically for people who will be rack mounting the amplifier. The design team knows this will involve using those jacks.
                Actually, I don't know if inputs on the back were in the original design. No way to know unless you were in the room discussing it. However, SD has changed some things after production starts, and if there is a chance to add/redesign (and sales & research make it worth it to do so), then they will.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

I hear you, and we're keeping all of this feedback in mind as we move forward!

The rack ears we provide for PS700 do have holes to allow cable routing from the back, pictured here:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	750-PowerStage700_detail5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	5812839

Comment

Originally posted by Riley View Post
                    I hear you, and we're keeping all of this feedback in mind as we move forward!

The rack ears we provide for PS700 do have holes to allow cable routing from the back, pictured here:
                    Room for the wires and a little extra airflow. You guys have good ears.

Wouldn't mind trying one of those out. Lightweight, powerful, plus three band EQ - what's not to love? I may replace my tube power amp at some point.

Comment

Working...
                    X