banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 Watt channel switchers: Mesa? JVM? Others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Watt channel switchers: Mesa? JVM? Others?

I'm slowly coming around to focus on a 50 watt channel switching head as my next amp. I play basic roots rock on the Chuck to Iggy continuum. Something with a nice clean channel (like the Bassman RI) and a nice lead channel (like the JCM-800 combo), in a more handy separate head configuration.

The JVM 205H seems like a really obvious choice, given my love of the JCM 800. From what I've heard I like both of the "clean channels". The "High Gain" side sounds OK, I'm not really looking for the super black-metal-burnt-crispy-death level of gain, it might be too much of a good thing. I'm a bit worried that the two sounds I like are both on Channel 1. $1600. new.

The Mesa Triple Crown TC-50 has one more channel, and that means I would probably get at least two useful ones, with the super-gain channel again possibly being more than I'm looking for. I went to demo one of these and unfortunately the place I went the sales guy just showed me all the sounds he could get out of it without letting me so much as touch a string. $1900.

Another one I've looked at is the EVH 5150 III w/ EL-34s. This is another three channel, and seems to be an improved version of the original with more channel control separation (which seems really good). It's the cheapest of the three at only $1100, which is nice. How is the "made in Vietnam" build quality?

What do you think of these three amps? What else should I be looking at in this genre?

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: 50 Watt channel switchers: Mesa? JVM? Others?

Mesa TC-50, from this generally favorable review at Guitar Player

EVH:

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Splawn Quickrod

Comment

I haven't played the Triple Crowns, can't comment there.

I really *want* to like 5150s but they always fall short for me... something in the way the amp response and it always falls into extremes, tonally, for me. Too much gain, not enough on the edge of breakup, too strident in the treble response, etc.

The JVM is what I'd go for. They're controllable and incredibly versatile with a simple control setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          Splawn Quickrod
          Thanks I will look into that. The Splawn does seem to have a lot of fans on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
            I haven't played the Triple Crowns, can't comment there.

I really *want* to like 5150s but they always fall short for me... something in the way the amp response and it always falls into extremes, tonally, for me. Too much gain, not enough on the edge of breakup, too strident in the treble response, etc.

The JVM is what I'd go for. They're controllable and incredibly versatile with a simple control setup.
            Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. I think I can find a JVM to play here in town, I'm not sure about the EVH amps, I haven't seen them anywhere.

Comment

There's a ton of Bugera amps that do that too

Many are clones of the ones you mentioned
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have the Mesa TC-50 and really like it. The clean channel is on a par with the Lonestar in terms of quality, though voiced a bit more British. Takes pedals well. The channel 2 gets great vintage & contemporary Marshall style tones, and Channel 3 can range from Texas blues to Metal. It's the best amp I've played for my styles. The quality of the tones are great and you don't need to crank it to deafening volumes to bring the rock tones out. Comes with a great foot switch that accesses each channel, FXloop, solo boost and reverb. Also has the cab sim thing for direct recording etc. Wish this had come out years ago, would have saved me from buying other amps.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                  Thanks I will look into that. The Splawn does seem to have a lot of fans on this board.
                  The 100w am have a half power switch and he also makes a 50w.
                  If you do decide to look at a used QR you’ll want a more recent build. The newer ones have an improved clean channel and a loop volume in the back. That allows you to get bedroom volume levels.
                  He also has a few circuit add-on that I think are worth looking into.
                  The first is “Drop B+” which lowers plate voltage to get the amp more sag. I love that feature on mine. The 50w versions are Droo B+ by default.
                  Second is a “new/old” voicing switch. It’s subtle but the old setting is a bit more aggressive. And lastly, there is a mid cut option which is voiced more like his Nitro amp. A more “metal” flavor, if you will. I just about never use it but it’s there should I want it.
                  Brand new they start at $1950 and used you might be looking at $1K-$1200.
                  Here’s a short clip with my LP tuned 1/2 step down.

Comment

As a longtime Rectifier fan I say a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Version 2 would be my pick.
                    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 12-27-2018, 12:04 AM.
                    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                    Roland Cube 60
                    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                    Mogami Cables
                    Mooer Candy Toppers
                    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Don’t know what the budget is but the Friedman BE-50 Deluxe rules them all
                      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I like the TC50, but for what you're describing, ie Bassman & JCM800, maybe look at the Mesa Fillmore 50. It also is $300 less than the Triple Crown
                        sigpic
                        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                          I like the TC50, but for what you're describing, ie Bassman & JCM800, maybe look at the Mesa Fillmore 50. It also is $300 less than the Triple Crown
                          Thanks, I will look into that. I have never heard of that amp before, Mesa has a bewildering number of models, both past and present.

Comment

I haven't played any of the amps you mentioned.....I own a Friedman Runt 50 that is fantastic. Used they are quite affordable.
                            Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                            "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

The Fillmore 50s gain channel is not really all that impressive. I don't think it will do what you're looking for without using a pedal.

I'd look at the Blackstar HT Club 50 MkII head. Really nice cleans, and can get seriously ballsy on the gain channel. Each channel has two voicings and they are very usable. I did a review of its little brother on my YouTube channel. Seriously underrated amp line.

This is a vid of the 50W Head.
                              Last edited by Old Guy; 12-27-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X