Help me choose a new year amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me choose a new year amp

I see there are 2 versions of the HRD. III and IV?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I'm lost on the subtlety of this
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        I found the Hot Rod Deluxe at $729

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III 40-Watt 1x12-Inch Guitar Combo Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YU2MJU..._inclCbP3REW6T

The 68 reissue was a bit more
        This is what I would do -ALSO remember TS -Brick and Mortar Guitar stores can and do sell for below MAP (Advertised and Online) pricing.

So when you see a Hot Rod Deluxe online for 729 -it can be had at a Fender dealer in person for mid 600s.

That's why I think you can get a 68 Deluxe Reverb for 700s -because they are online for 949 to 1049 depending on the the time of year - I got one for 799 in person at a Fender dealer 2 years ago.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

How does the HRD compare to the Blues Deluxe? Or even the Peavey Classic or Delta Blues?

Comment

Originally posted by ledvedder View Post
            How does the HRD compare to the Blues Deluxe? Or even the Peavey Classic or Delta Blues?

HRD is 40 watt 1x12 has an extra drive channel to total 3 (that no one I know uses) and is voiced for lead guitar articulation. -it has a rare Fender effects loop

Blues Deluxe is 40 Watt 1x12 a older tweed style warm amp -HRD is more modern voicing of the Blues Deluxe. BD won't have as much tight bottom end or highs and crispiness as a HRD -BD will be more mid rangy sounding. It has a vintage style Eminence speaker

Peavey Classic is 30 Watts 1x12 and to me the voicing excels in Country/Twangy nicely more than rock or blues -but my classic is also like 30 years old. No idea now what they sound like new

DOn't know anything about the Delta Blues.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Is the Blues Jr just the smaller version of the Deluxe? 40 vs 15 watts? Or a totally different amp?

Comment

Is the Blues Jr just the smaller version of the Deluxe? 40 vs 15 watts? Or a totally different amp?

totally different yet within the same tonal ballpark. Hot rod is loud and clean with a bold low end attack and crunches with a throaty flavor

the blues jr is good though. Less bass and more chime, more saturated sounding. The "el84" sound.

Both are fun to control the amount of crunch by setting it at the onset of breakup and using your hands to get more or less. The hot rod is pretty dang loud at this setting if that matters.
                the BJr is easier to control at moderate volume.

they are both great sounding.... the hot rod deluxe drive channel though is not most people here's cup of tea. It sounds unrefined and congested to me. But can be helped by setting the gain below 3 and setting master higher, like 7/12. It's not ideal but is not as unusable as many claim

Comment

The hot rod line is completely renew last year and improved all over the range: pro junior, blues junior, hot rod deluxe, blues deluxe etc.

I would (and am) looking for a fender supersonic!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

I never cared much for the drive/more-drive of the Fender HRDlx, but that may be more a matter of taste and style. It is much higher gain.
                    I have both a Fender BDRI and a Peavey Delta Blues 115 and really like both. My BDRI is stacked on top of a matching 1X12 tweed cab and really emphasizes the bottom end. The PVDB is a bit more higher gain than the BDRI, but I've swapped out V1 and V2 for 5751, and that gives me exactly what I want for minimal $$$. Which one???? Tough choice, but if I could have only one or the other, I think I'd choose the PVDB115.

Comment

going on you previous two amps, I think a JTM45 or clone will make you happy
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Huge difference between them, and it all boils down to headroom. The headroom and stiffness of a 40W amp can be too much for many playing situations, especially if you are someone who doesn't use dirt pedals. Since I don't really use outboard effects, and I get my distortion from hitting the guitar hard, 15 Watters are my go-to amps. I go up from there only if needed. If I relied more on using a more manipulated input signal to the amp, then a cleaner base like a 30–50 water would be better for me.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X