Amp facing the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp facing the wall

how close are you talking TS? are you recording? trying to mitigate bleed? isolating? Youve ran out of room?

What are you trying to do?
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post
      Did you face the amp to the wall because it was too loud?
      bad amp
      bad bad amp
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I experimented with my Princeton reverb to the wall sometimes it does let me crank it a little more (maybe say from 5 to 6) and knock off a little treble without really changing the sound drastically. I mean it's still way loud. A couple feet from the wall is good otherwise it sounds kinda choked to me. But it seems like something you'd do as an emergency volume lowering tactic when there are many better ones like lower efficiency speakers or even getting a smaller amp to begin with.
        But with a bright open backed non master fender with a bright fender guitar like strat or tele it can kinda work. There's plenty of treble and volume available in my setup so turning the amp can still sound balanced depending on the room

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

this idea works for some people if the amp is a combo...... try putting your amp facing up towards the ceiling on a chair but leave the top with the tubes hanging off the chair a little to make sure the tubes get plenty of air circulation. with the speaker pointed towards the ceiling much of the sound is directed upwards and not at you or other bandmates. Ive seen some blues players in small clubs doing this to try to control the stage volume. it doesnt always work but sometimes its a quick fix.

Comment

With a small fender combo amp sometimes it's enough to kill the beaming high end to just drape your jacket (fold it, I wouldn't cover it like with a blanket) on the amp. Can take the edge off a little but usually not too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post
              Just so the amp doesn’t face me.
              But WHY? Aesthetic reasons? EQ reasons? Tone reasons? Volume reasons? Etc.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Probably because he has the amp set so loud that it’s ripping people’s heads off.
                That and the sound man might not be able to properly mix the guitar in with a full volume amp blasting.

Comment

maybe he is shy
                  EHD

Comment

I put my cab facing my bed a couple of times to help dampen the volume. of course sounded muffled, but was just wanting to play and not recording
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Sometimes I'll stick my amp in the closet (don't close any doors) and exit the room, and turn the corner into the hallway and play out there. Can usually crank things pretty good and hear everything really well. It's either that or stand in the room and have to wear ear protection!

There's no right or wrong and "if it sounds good, it IS good!"

Jim Campilongo said in a video that he sometimes faces his Princeton to the side, pointed off stage, so as not to kill the audience in small rooms. he relies on cranking the small amp and he said usually at one table at the side the amps pointed at someone's getting absolutely blasted with sound and no one stays at that table except guitar freaks.

Also to break in speakers I have been known to put the amp face down on carpeted floors and put a couple pillows over any opening in the back with a little gap for heat ventilation. That way you can whale on it a little harder without deafening yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        I put my cab facing my bed a couple of times to help dampen the volume. of course sounded muffled, but was just wanting to play and not recording
                        Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                        Sometimes I'll stick my amp in the closet (don't close any doors) and exit the room, and turn the corner into the hallway and play out there. Can usually crank things pretty good and hear everything really well. It's either that or stand in the room and have to wear ear protection!

There's no right or wrong and "if it sounds good, it IS good!"

Jim Campilongo said in a video that he sometimes faces his Princeton to the side, pointed off stage, so as not to kill the audience in small rooms. he relies on cranking the small amp and he said usually at one table at the side the amps pointed at someone's getting absolutely blasted with sound and no one stays at that table except guitar freaks.

Also to break in speakers I have been known to put the amp face down on carpeted floors and put a couple pillows over any opening in the back with a little gap for heat ventilation. That way you can whale on it a little harder without deafening yourself.

Last time I put an amp in the closet it traumatized the poor thing
                        It thought it was a Peavey for years
                        EHD

Comment

LOL!! So... When it came out of the closet.... Did it finally have the courage to admit that it was a Peavey?
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It's still in therapy
                            One day man, one day
                            EHD

Comment

It's been touched on already, but this is common with amps that would be way too loud in a smaller setting where it would be a pain for the engineer to mix and/or kill people's ears in the first few rows / tables. I've seen guys put cargo blankets over their cabinets to using amp shields in front of them. It gets rid of that beam off the stage making it a lot easier to mix in to the mains, if needed. My amp is a little 1x10 30W combo and I even started using a shield in front of it. Right now I lean a padded mixer shelf from a rolling case we use in front of it. Sure, it messes with the tone a little but nothing I can't tweak with the EQ and I'm still be heard and can hear it. Bonamassa even uses shields in front of his row of amps.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
                                X