banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you pay for a non-functioning tube head without knowing the issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you pay for a non-functioning tube head without knowing the issue?

There's a local guy selling an allegedly busted Marshall TSL 100... could be as little as a blown fuse or dead tube, could be ???

He wants 300... should I offer him 200?
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: How much would you pay for a non-functioning tube head without knowing the issue?

If it's a bad tube, it's worth a look. If the circuits are corroded, it might not be worth your time.

Tell him your interested but won't pull the trigger until he can diagnose the issue.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Re: How much would you pay for a non-functioning tube head without knowing the issue?

Do you have someone you can take with you that knows tube amps? Tube amps can be so finicky. I would offer him $200, but only if you're comfortable losing that $200 outright.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        If it's a bad tube, it's worth a look. If the circuits are corroded, it might not be worth your time.

Tell him your interested but won't pull the trigger until he can diagnose the issue.
        If he diagnoses the issue, it won't be a cheap deal anymore lol

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
          Do you have someone you can take with you that knows tube amps? Tube amps can be so finicky. I would offer him $200, but only if you're comfortable losing that $200 outright.
          I've opened up a TSL before, to change voltage to Euro mains...it's a bunch of PCBs inside, but should still be serviceable

Comment

Tough call not knowing. If it were me, I'd offer $100 and perhaps bump it up to $150 if he didn't accept that. As someone else said 'Only if you'd be willing to gamble on losing the purchase price' if it is too costly to repair.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
              Tough call not knowing. If it were me, I'd offer $100 and perhaps bump it up to $150 if he didn't accept that. As someone else said 'Only if you'd be willing to gamble on losing the purchase price' if it is too costly to repair.
              Oh I wouldn't PAY to repair it... I'd try to DIY

And the whole exercise would be a for-profit project

Comment

if it's not a tube or a fuse...it is a big mess of stuff to try and troublshoot.....here is a link to the schematic so you can see for yourself...

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/the...-Schematic.pdf

Comment

Most fried electronics components look visibly burnt on death though, right?

Does that thing have any IC's or pure analog?

Comment

That's about 50% off the typical used price for a TSL. If it was any other amp but a JCM2000 it would be low risk. Some JCM2000 DSLs and TSLs prior to the mid 2000 years eventually developed a problem called bias drift, though. Bias drift was caused by the board breaking down, probably from heat, and becoming conductive beyond the traces. The only proper fix is a new board. The board could cost the extra $300. There is a upgraded replacement board available from places like AES. If it is after a certain year (2005?) then bias drift is not an issue. Not saying that is the problem here, but it could be. Find out how the amp was behaving before it quit working.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Most fried electronics components look visibly burnt on death though, right?

Does that thing have any IC's or pure analog?
                      No, you can have a fried resistor for example and it can take out several components around it with no sign of damage.....the thing is full of ICs....

Comment

I looked it only has 1 IC on the motherboard?

Guy says it powers up but "makes wacky sounds"... that's a clean the insides and find the fried tube issue most likely, right?

Talked him down to $200 it seems... worst case it's a new $225 motherboard, otherwise roll through some preamp tubes from working amps... unfortunately my Mesa and Bugera are 6L6-powered, but I can pull pairs to find the dead EL34 on a Marshall right?
                        Last edited by Adieu; 01-16-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I bought a dead Peavey Rock Master 120-watt tube head from a guy for $25 back in 1988. Turned out to be a 25-cent internal blown fuse. Just a killer amp, too.

Good luck!

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I think it’s worth $200 all day.

Comment

Just the amp enclosure is worth about $150 - $200 depending on the market. I would roll the dice.

Comment

Working...
                              X