Attenuator pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attenuator pedals?

Has anyone tried the attenuator pedals, such as the JHS little black amp box? If so, how well do they work? Just curious if they are effective. They are alot less expensive than regular attenuators.

Thank you!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Attenuator pedals?

That's an effects loop attenuator. It's the same as putting a volume pedal in your loop. It's not the kind that goes between your head and cab. That's why it's much less money.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      That's an effects loop attenuator. It's the same as putting a volume pedal in your loop. It's not the kind that goes between your head and cab. That's why it's much less money.
      Not sure it is just like putting a volume pedal in your loop. Have you tried to do that? The claim this pedal makes is that it will maintain the output of the signal, but lower the volume of the signal so you can crank your pre-amp and OD the tubes, but lower the volume on the power amp side. Maybe that is how it would work by putting a volume pedal in the loop, but I've never heard of that being done that way. I could be wrong.

Here's the thing with Attenuators. There are two type. Resistive and Reactive. Reactive is what you want because it won't squash your signal. Cheaper Resistive Attenuators will make the lower signal sound mushy and really mess with the tone you hear as you lower the volume. Reactive Attenuators won't do that. That's why they are much more expensive. And why more pros use them.

Comment

Well, as always, the answer is, "it depends" about the Volume pedal. I stand somewhat corrected. Here's a short article:

Comment

All that is is a volume put in a box. It does NOT go between the amp and cabinet. That's for putting in the effects loop, as mentioned, to crank down the overall volume. I have one (not that brand specifically) and used it with my Marshall when I had it. The best use of them is to allow you to get the master volume past that touchy spot but the amp may be too loud setting. Put this box in the effects loop and dial the it back. I've seen guys use these with Fender HRD amps a lot.

If you want a real attenuator, it's gonna cost a lot more that that thing costs. It even says in the ad, "Note: This device is only intended for amplifiers with an effects loop. Do not place it after the speaker output of any amp."

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
            Not sure it is just like putting a volume pedal in your loop. Have you tried to do that? The claim this pedal makes is that it will maintain the output of the signal, but lower the volume of the signal so you can crank your pre-amp and OD the tubes, but lower the volume on the power amp side. Maybe that is how it would work by putting a volume pedal in the loop, but I've never heard of that being done that way. I could be wrong.

Here's the thing with Attenuators. There are two type. Resistive and Reactive. Reactive is what you want because it won't squash your signal. Cheaper Resistive Attenuators will make the lower signal sound mushy and really mess with the tone you hear as you lower the volume. Reactive Attenuators won't do that. That's why they are much more expensive. And why more pros use them.
            Resistive and Reactive is a bit simplified. Resistive attenuator is basically just a resistor providing required load. Reactive is more refined system to that with circuitry to act like inductor coil in speaker. It should also simulate the air pressure and speaker construction effects but I'm not sure if there's any reactive loads that do that.

Digital modeling of speakers is yet another way to do this, which does allow to take account all that for closest possible recreation of real speaker, but won't handle the high output of speaker so it still neeeds load box, which changes the respenso of the amp.

Personally I think reasonably rated amp and/or good master volume is just better.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

This is the answer (for me anyways) :

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Is that a stepped attenuator or does the volume work more like an actual amp volume pot?

My issue with most attenuators is that you have to live between too loud and not loud enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Has anyone tried the attenuator pedals, such as the JHS little black amp box? If so, how well do they work? Just curious if they are effective. They are alot less expensive than regular attenuators.

Thank you!
                  It's a passive volume pot in a box, acts as a sort of master-master volume

Only really works with serial loops, parallel loops kinda defeat it. Works best with high-gain preamp designs.... pure genius on 5150/6505/6262, you can make the monstrosities whisper-quiet through a 4x12 on the red gain channel

Diy-able for 5 bucks, though... for the money, ought to have a footswitch
                  Last edited by Adieu; 01-21-2019, 01:58 PM.
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post

Heh. Yeah. A volume pedal is a potentiometer attached to a foot pedal used to cut volume. This device is a potentiometer in a pedal housing with a normal knob. Probably $10 in parts total and only for use in the fx loop.

If you plug this device in between your head and cab, your head and the pedal will break.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

That is an extremely expensive option and much more than the OP needs. Suhr just came out with an amazing Reactive Load Box for $500 which would do the OP just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        Resistive and Reactive is a bit simplified. Resistive attenuator is basically just a resistor providing required load. Reactive is more refined system to that with circuitry to act like inductor coil in speaker. It should also simulate the air pressure and speaker construction effects but I'm not sure if there's any reactive loads that do that.
                        Weber MASS has a speaker coil with no cone. It’s the closest to a proper speaker load in an attenuator I’ve found.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post

Thank you!
                          Way over-priced! THIS is the same thing for <1/2 the $$$.
                          ErikH is spot on with a description of how it works. I've used one for this purpose on a Fender BDRI and it serves that purpose well.
                          Last edited by IM4Tone; 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

There’s a guy on Reverb that sells attenuators (in between head and cabinet - not in the effects loop).

Julius Music Box 50W 8 Ohm Tube Amp Speaker Attenuator (Power Soak) - Vintage Orange Sparkle https://reverb.com/item/12699531-jul...m_medium=share

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              Weber MASS has a speaker coil with no cone. It’s the closest to a proper speaker load in an attenuator I’ve found.
                              They're reasonably priced as well.
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                              X