Acoustic amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic amp?

I'm completely new to playing guitar... about a month or so in. I have electric acoustic Luna and a fender. I pretty much play in my man cave at home for few hours each day.

I have OCD from my military days and my frustration starts with, I can not mimic the exact tone in the videos. I know its not that big of deal but I can not stop looking at AMPS online now. And I have no clue what I'm looking at or for.

My only hold over the past couple of days is my fear of walking into Guitar Center and walking out with Eric Clapton Style Amp https://waveadvice.com/beginner-guitar-amplifiers/ that I'll never get full use out of or my investment back. I've already been to Guitar Center once to get new strings on the beat up six string I picked up. End up leaving there with a second guitar that was screaming my name as soon as walk through the door and saw the room full of acoustics.

What's a descent begginner amp, with good quality sound that I can grow with over the next year, playing in my house, that's not going to break bank? As well as, it can be pass down to my little who's about 3 months in on violin but wants to play the guitar when she is big enough. (We got few years, she's only 5.)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Bima; 01-22-2019, 12:55 AM.

Re: Acoustic amp?

Are you gigging? That’s about the only reason to buy an acoustic amp, unless you really dig that nasty piezo tone.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If you must amplify an acoustic
      A powered PA speaker would work
      This would also let you sing as well
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Foe house playing, a Yamaha THR5A is what I got. Perfect for the job.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

What's your budget? You don't have to spend a lot of money here. Are you looking for an amp for both of your electric and acoustic?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Laney GC80A
            It has an acoustic amp and an electric amp built in the same chassis
            With a 12 inch speaker
            You can use either one or both
            They are super cheap used
            But a little hard to find
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Boss Katana 50 has an acoustic setting that does a good job...if your put a Fishman Aura in front you can really get some cool acoustic guitar sounds...it is an amp and pedal combo that has enough variety to keep fueling your/her interest with a variety of tone options to explore...

Comment

Even the $100 new Peavey VIP 1 has an electric and acoustic settings. It isn't an investment amp, but it does sound really good, and the best of the approx $100 amps.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

OP, you can't go wrong with Roland stuff -Cube or Boss Katana
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Keyboard amps work well with acoustic guitars.
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Not much bigger than a shoe box. Great for home and small gigs. Balanced Direct Outs if you need to add more muscle.

Comment

Katana 100 will do acoustic. It'll also do anything else you need it to, from 50s pop to new metal.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I use this mini powered monitor onstage with my Ovation:

TC FX150

It sounds awesome for what it is. The only downside is the fragile looking toy-like laptop power supply but I'd also add that it hasn't failed yet, not even after all the road abuse I gave to it.
                          Last edited by NecroPolo; 02-01-2019, 08:43 AM.
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

My stock answer for any beginner who wants an AMP -is Roland Cube/Boss Kantana.

Price versus Performance -they really can't be beat and they are so useful, you probably would never get rid of them no matter what expensive amp you may graduate to.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              If you must amplify an acoustic
                              A powered PA speaker would work
                              This would also let you sing as well
                              I would agree. If it is just for an acoustic guitar, you can get a powered speaker fairly cheap. You can use it for keys down the line or crank MP3s at your summer BBQs. They are multipurpose creatures.

Comment

Working...
                              X