Clear All

Re: Super vs Twin reverb

Except for that I don't have a guitar made with composites[emoji55]

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I'd like to try one with a Metalzone.
      I did that as a kid, with the same SF Super I use now. It sounded metal as hell to my 15 yr old ears. My modded DS-1 with the drive cranked with my Green Rhino in front sounds pretty mean. Very raw, like some of the better live Nirvana tones.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I prefer the Super Reverb. Can do bright clean or sweet breakup. The 4x10s sound different from all the 12” Fenders I’ve played, definitely different from the Twins I’ve played. Compared to 12”s, the 10”s have a darker top end, and a midrange boxy tunnel kind of sound IME. Something similar to my VOX AC30s and my Hiwatt 4123. At least they all mix together really well in a recording. Make a great stereo image together in a mix.

Comment

As far as the Twin goes it's important to keep in mind that all 2X12 tube combo amps are heavy. In fact when compared to others across the spectrum it's just a middle weight.

Comment

Originally posted by PAPADON View Post
            As far as the Twin goes it's important to keep in mind that all 2X12 tube combo amps are heavy. In fact when compared to others across the spectrum it's just a middle weight.
            many of those that are as heavy or heavier at least come standard with wheels -except Orange -they too have stock in a shoulder replacement prosthetic company.

worth noting, when people make "twin" heavy jokes on here -they are typically indicting the entire class of "twin" style amps

Anyone who buys a Twin, I suggest getting casters for the long term.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Anyone playing a Twin...needs to work out! Get pumped!

Part of the difficulty with a Super Reverb is its size; it is so tall that it is unwieldy. At least the Quad Reverb (412 combo) and the Super Six Reverb (610 combo) had side handles. THE single-most unmovable amp I have ever seen was a player I knew in the early '70s who had a Super Six...with factory-loaded JBL 10" speakers. Well over 100 lbs., and a marvelous sounding amp.

My Mark III and IV EVM combos come in around 75 lbs. But it is somewhat manageable because they are so compact...like a .44 Magnum snubbie.

And no matter how much I workout I would swear all my amps gain about 20 lbs. by the end of a four-hour gig. And they are SO UNDISCIPLINED! I have spent a lot of time trying to teach them to jump into the van by themselves, but they just sit there...unmoving...until I pick them up myself! Even threatening them with a trip to the pawnshop doesn't work. Such ingrates!

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post

Part of the difficulty with a Super Reverb is its size; it is so tall that it is unwieldy. At least the Quad Reverb (412 combo) and the Super Six Reverb (610 combo) had side handles. THE single-most unmovable amp I have ever seen was a player I knew in the early '70s who had a Super Six...with factory-loaded JBL 10" speakers. Well over 100 lbs., and a marvelous sounding amp.

My Mark III and IV EVM combos come in around 75 lbs. But it is somewhat manageable because they are so compact...like a .44 Magnum snubbie.

And no matter how much I workout I would swear all my amps gain about 20 lbs. by the end of a four-hour gig. And they are SO UNDISCIPLINED! I have spent a lot of time trying to teach them to jump into the van by themselves, but they just sit there...unmoving...until I pick them up myself! Even threatening them with a trip to the pawnshop doesn't work. Such ingrates!

Bill
                I had to get my left shoulder rebuilt 2 years ago -torn labrum and busted cuff -they call it the "luggage injury" -too much picking up heavy combos and cabs by the handle for 4 decades.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

So sorry. Hope you are well now.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Bill
                    Dude that super 6 is a beast but it sounds super good
                    Last edited by philthis; 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM.

Comment

So sorry. Hope you are well now.

Bill
                      That sounded sincere -so thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                      X