banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Power Amps -Anybody experienced with these.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Power Amps -Anybody experienced with these.

Today, somebody exposed me to 3rd Power Amplifiers, a boutique amplifier company from Nashville TN.

I looked at their Dual Citizen Amp -a 50 Watt EL34 amp with selectable tube/SS rectifier modes

The First Channel is a British Voicing of a Vox AC30 with 4 selectable voices and uses a big EF86 preamp tube

The Second Channel is an American Voicing adjustable between Tweed and Blackface sounds

The build quality and component selection were extremely impressive

-this is truly a high end amp. I was impressed.

Anybody used one of these?
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Re: 3rd Power Amps -Anybody experienced with these.

That looks expensive, cool, and highly useable

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
      That looks expensive, cool, and highly useable
      I think they were asking 1400.00 USED!

-which is part why I wanted to know if anyone had any experience -as this thing is really top of the market.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I guess these are pretty rare..

Comment

ive heard good things about them but they are pretty rare in the wild

Comment

A lot of ef86 amp owners I seem to recall complaining about microphonics and a love it or hate it kinda response vs similar circuits modded for 12ax7. Some people seem to not gel with the different kind of grind they give
            All the recordings I've heard of matchless and bad cat ef86 channels turn me on so...
            Man if you got 1400 to blow maybe you should jump on it and flip it if you hate it lol at the very least I'm sure you'll find it to be an interesting amp!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you were that impressed and have $1400 to spend, what does it matter what we think? Go ahead and buy it!
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

name is confusing - makes it sound like they make just power amps

Comment

pentode preamps are different for sure, much less compression for the amount of gain they have. such a great sound though

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    name is confusing - makes it sound like they make just power amps
                    The name and the logo are kinda dumb -I think it probably works against it in the market place.

Comment

Working...
                    X