need advice on selling vintage macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on selling vintage macs

a couple months ago I reached out to everyone asking for advice about my two vintage macintosh 75 amps. I took some good advice, got them repaired and quit thinking of them as a PA amp for my son. I am no audiophile. They sound fantastic but they are way over my head. They deserve better. I don't have any idea how to get them appraised (several people remarked on their high value and I just invested $300 in repairs) or go about finding a serious buyer. I believe they are too fragile and heavy to ship. (about 45 lbs each) but I've never done it. any thoughts? thanks

Re: need advice on selling vintage macs

I would find a local hifi shop that sells used high end gear. Try Googling “high end audio [name of your town or closest city]” and give them a call. You can get a good idea of current market value by going to Audiogon and EBay. Make sure you have the serial numbers handy.

Shipping them will require obtaining correct boxes or crates from the manufacturer or they will most certainly be damaged in transit.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 01-27-2019, 08:12 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Those are a couple of nice amps. You can't find a use for them or a reason to keep them?

I have a lowly Dynaco SCA-35 and love it, even though it needs a cap job. I bought excellent replacement circuit boards but need to get the components and solder them up.

Comment

Thanks. When I looked at a couple of listings on ebay I couldn't believe the price. I know they haven't sold for that price, but to think that two venders are both asking over 4k for the pair really blows me away. I submitted a request for a quote from an outfit called STEREOBUYERS.COM. ( as per your high end audio equipment search suggestion) They have a presence in the Denver area so I could conceivably not have to deal with shipping. thanks, jim

Comment

Sell them to me is the answer
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I would start by joining Audiokarma. They are, to vintage audio, what this forum is to guitars/amps/ and pickups. Good, knowledgeable, helpful people. I hang out in both places.

Comment

E-Bay $1 start, no reserve. Be willing to ship them, insured, packed very, very well, at buyer's cost, to U.S. addresses only. They will go on your first try for whatever they are worth that week, and then they will be out of your hair.

Insisting on selling locally, or through a specialty shop, is a sure way to take forever to sell them and get far less money. Just throw them into the Internet, and let it decide what they're worth. People buy and ship stuff like that all the time. They know the risks. That's what insurance is for.

My two cents.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

So a lot of the listings you saw on ebay were from Japan, and like music equipment, very, very overpriced. You need to scroll down the column on the left side and check the complete listings box so you can see the ones that have sold and the ones that haven't, or you can check the box that says sold items and see what they have sold for.

If you are in Denver, you can also try Gravity Music Gear, they deal in used music gear. They will research the value and usually give you 60%-70% of what they think they can sell if for, depending on what it is. No, you don't make as much as if you sold it yourself, but, they deal with the hassle of , listing, shipping, etc... I don't know if they would be interested, but a phone call is free.

Comment

Working...
                X