Interesting idea or impractical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting idea or impractical?

Purely theoretically, If Mesa wanted to release a new model, is this is a realistic amp idea?

From what I´ve read the Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 seems to be a very popular model,
    but a common complaint seems to be that it lacks just that little bit of headroom for gigs.

In terms of weight and complexity of modifying the circuit, would it be feasible to modify the circuit for 6V6s instead of EL84s (I imagine it might change the output a bit, but not excessively) and if necessary add an output tranny that could handle 6L6s so that it could deal with bigger gigs without adding too much weight and keep it in the same size head shell?

Again this is purely theoretical, I have no idea of amp circuitry nor even am familiar with the V 25, just curious what people who do think.

Re: Interesting idea or impractical?

Impractical I'd think. A bigger OT would add weight and just plain 'ol might not fit. You'd have to change tube sockets as 84's and 6V6 use a different socket. If you could change the sockets ...?...I recall 6v6 and 6l6 do use the same socket but the 6l6's are much taller so space could be an issue. And even if you could do all that the bench fee would be a good chunk of change.

Comment

Mesa knows more about designing guitar tube amps then almost any prominent company on the planet...the V 25 is what it is and does a broad range of amplification excellently...if the player has different requirements then there is already a Mesa amp out there to do the job...to answer your question: no sense in mucking with the V 25.

Comment

Actually my V:25 has quite a bit if headroom and gets quite loud, especially with the two Mini-Recto V30 slant/straight cabs stack. It feels more like a big-bottle amp than any EL-84 amp I've played...save for the V:35. Totally different feel than either my DC-3 or the Class A Maverick.

From the Mark IV and the Heartbreaker on, several Mesa 6L6 amps can be used with 6V6 tubes. I prefer my Mark V in Simul-Class, Tweed, with 6L6s. My Mark IV also is usually in Simul-Class, Tweed,...but I use a combination of 6L6s in Class AB and EL34s in the Class A sockets. And all of the amps since the Mark IV have variable power settings.

Mesa has two new amps on the market that use 6V6s. Can't wait to try them.

Oh...if you really want to switch between 6V6 and EL84s, or use both, there's always the Blue Angel...another great Mesa amp.

I think your idea is impractical, and with the versatility of the current lineup, unnecessary.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

You could get a pretty decent extension cab for whatever a tech would charge to do it. Yes more gear to haul but perceived headroom would be increased without changing the amp at all.

Comment

Have to say, all interesting responses.

Comment

Working...
            X