Deluxe reverb clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deluxe reverb clone

think Mesa designs their amps as a fully integrated system...have tried swapping tubes and speakers in mine and it just doesn't sound good...Fender is horrible in that regard...they will put a $5 "Special (lowest bidder) Design" speaker in a thousand dollar amp...

Comment

With due respect most of Mesa stuff comes in at a higher price point than your usual supersonic or hot rod DeVille etc. If I wanted the same stuff as my supersonic at the same price, from Mesa, I would have had to go used or stick to the express 5:25 which has a boxy sound to me (very good amp though).
      And as far as $5 special design
      It's not everyone's taste but the lightning bolt by eminence is a good speaker. Not super great but it doesn't need a speaker swap right away. Many still do swap it, but I think they either know their taste very well or are not giving the lightning bolt a fair shake or just don't trust special design speakers... I get that. They used to be kinda bad.

The one in my supersonic is versatile and has a decent thick breakup. It is not nearly as stiff and harsh as that c12k they stick in the deluxe reverb ri... I went back to the lightning bolt for a few months to see if I still liked it after putting a regular production eminence in for a while and it doesn't sound cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

I live in Serbia and this is place where is very hard to find good NOS tubes. Some guy have matched pair Sylvania 6v6GT but price is 80 euros,to much for me.

Comment

the tung sol i was referring to were the new ones, not nos. not sure what they cost there though.

what is it that you dont like about the sound of your amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Vladimir View Post
            I live in Serbia and this is place where is very hard to find good NOS tubes. Some guy have matched pair Sylvania 6v6GT but price is 80 euros,to much for me.
            Someday, when money is better, I really believe old glass helps, but for now do the best with what you can! I can't afford the tubes I want right now either so don't feel bad.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
              With due respect most of Mesa stuff comes in at a higher price point than your usual supersonic or hot rod DeVille etc. If I wanted the same stuff as my supersonic at the same price, from Mesa, I would have had to go used or stick to the express 5:25 which has a boxy sound to me (very good amp though).
              And as far as $5 special design
              It's not everyone's taste but the lightning bolt by eminence is a good speaker. Not super great but it doesn't need a speaker swap right away. Many still do swap it, but I think they either know their taste very well or are not giving the lightning bolt a fair shake or just don't trust special design speakers... I get that. They used to be kinda bad.

The one in my supersonic is versatile and has a decent thick breakup. It is not nearly as stiff and harsh as that c12k they stick in the deluxe reverb ri... I went back to the lightning bolt for a few months to see if I still liked it after putting a regular production eminence in for a while and it doesn't sound cheap.

you are correct....I oversimplified...whereas Mesa seems to build amps as complete integrated systems where they select the tubes and speakers to match the amp....Fender does use higher quality speakers on high end amps...however even thousand dollar amps like the PRRI they choose to use speakers whose quality does not equal the amp...

Comment

Congratulations on what you do have! That is a great looking amp, and the beauty of it is that it can be subtly tweaked to produce some great tones. The Deluxe Reverb is undeniably an amp that has stood the test of time and ruled for decades.
                "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                  you are correct....I oversimplified...whereas Mesa seems to build amps as complete integrated systems where they select the tubes and speakers to match the amp....Fender does use higher quality speakers on high end amps...however even thousand dollar amps like the PRRI they choose to use speakers whose quality does not equal the amp...
                  The used the Celestion ten 30 in the Custom PR though, that ones not half bad!
                  I wish they'd use pine cabs on the reissues but then they'd be outta my price range lol
                  Mesa is a little more guitarist focused for sure. Fender do ride their brand name a little too hard. I get it when people cry all over Facebook "OVERPRICED!!" I agree to some extent. But again, I can just barely afford the fender lol any new Mesa would just destroy my wallet lol. So I like that fender gets things in my price point as I can upgrade speakers later after recovering from the initial purchase. Definitely not ideal so I get you man

Comment

A trick to get a good sound is also to run the bass and treble very low, this increases the ratio of mid-range. Try the tone controls set somewhere from one to three if you have not already.

Comment

Working...
                    X