• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa/Boogie Mark V 35 gain mode comparison

Hey everybody!

I got a Boogie Mark V 35 recently.
    I'm super happy with the purchase!
    Prior to buying the amp I had slight doubts because people online would say that this amp doesn't have enough 'oomph' on the low-end.
    I get where people are coming from but in my opinion it's just a matter of headroom.
    Since I'll only be using the amp in my studio I figured it wouldn't be a problem and as it turns out, the low-end is PERFECT!!
    This isn't my only EL84 amp, I also own a Peavey 6505MH and 6 of the smaller Orange amps and I love the tones I'm getting out of each amp.

Anyway, I'm mainly a rock player so I thought it would be fun to compare the gain channels on this amp.
    In this video I compare all 4 distorted modes (crunch, IIC+, IV and Xtreme).
    It's just a riff with my EMG equipped PRS Torero.
    I'd love to know which one is your favorite!

I tweaked each mode so that they sound the best in this particular mix.
    If you'd just set the controls the same when changing the modes the differences would be much bigger.
    So that's something to keep in mind.
    The Xtreme mode has a lot more low-end than the IIC+ mode for example and some modes have less gain than others.

Check out the comparison here:

Does anyone else here own a Mark V? (25, 35 or 90)
    What do you think of the amp?
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Mesa/Boogie Mark V 35 gain mode comparison

I own all three of the Mark V versions.

My Mark V:90 (bought new) is a standard black 112 C90 combo, and I use it with a Wide-Body Closed-Back V30 cab. I also have a Mark IV 112 EVM combo; a blond bronco Mark III red stripe 112 EVM combo and matching Thiele; a blue stripe Mark III 112 C-100 combo; and a no-stripe Mark III 180-watt Coliseum head with 412 Half-Back cabs.

I have the standard black V:25 head with a matching set of Slant and Straight 112 V30 Mini Recto cabs, bought used. I have also used it with a 212 V30 Horizontal Recto cab, an older 212 C-90/MS-12 Half-Back cab, a 412 C-90/EVM Half-Back cab and a 412 all-EVM Half-Back cab.

Then I found a used Mark V:35 (custom green/tan grill) 112 C-90 combo. On the one gig I've done with it, used it on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Thiele cab. I also have comparable a DC-3 112 V30 combo, and the Class A Maverick 212 combo.

I have not gigged with the Mark V Series amps very much to be honest, but I have with all of the others. The DC-3 took some getting used to, after years of using 6L6 amps because of its curtailed frequency response and feel. The Maverick is different still and spongier, though both use 4xEL84s, as does the Mark V:35. Yet, the V:35 feels more like a big bottle amp...lots of highs and lows.

The big Mark V is just an amazing amp. With all the Modes and the three power levels, there's like 27 amps in one cab. I have not found a bad tone in this amp. It sounds good at low volume, and the power settings allow you to choose how much headroom you want. I wish I could mix 6L6 and EL34s in the Simul-Class mode like the Mark III and IV, my only real nit. That and the fact that I have a terrible time settling on my favorite tones, especially in the Crunch and Lead Channels.

The Mark V:25 is the best small lunchbox head around, IMO. With the stack, I could have done a lot of club gigs, even with my loud hard-rock band in the '90s. Again, it sounds like a big bottle amp, great cleans. Most of all...it is just a cool-looking mini-stack...and I mean Spinal Tap cool. I just don't know of any amp on the market that really compares with what this amp can do.

The V:35...well...wow. There are a few more features than its little brother but to my mind, worth the extra dinero. I love the combo, and when I used it with the EVM Thiele, there was NO shortage of low end. The Dyna-Watt power section makes it feel more like a 45-60 watt amp. However, I'm not sure about the C90 speaker, and I am toying with replacing it with a V30 or perhaps a Fillmore, or even a Creamback. I think a V:35 head on a V30 212 Vertical Retro cab would be a perfect club amp.

The Mark Series amps have way more gain than I need, as I play more in the classic rock, blues, country and jazz genres. I use G&L Legacy strat-bodies, an ASAT, 335s, Les Pauls, Ibanez GR-520 Ghostriders and DanElectro Innuendo 12-strings. Everything sounds good through these amps. I don't know of many amps that can get Tele twang, and turn that same Tele into a screaming Metal Monster.

I am very fortunate to have found these amps and gotten such great deals on them. I can't really say that I have a favorite model, but I am very comfortable with all of them. Confidence in your gear is a good thing.

Bill
    Last edited by Boogie Bill; 02-14-2019, 05:16 PM.
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Re: Mesa/Boogie Mark V 35 gain mode comparison

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
      I own all three of the Mark V versions.

My Mark V:90 (bought new) is a standard black 112 C90 combo, and I use it with a Wide-Body Closed-Back V30 cab. I also have a Mark IV 112 EVM combo; a blond bronco Mark III red stripe 112 EVM combo and matching Thiele; a blue stripe Mark III 112 C-100 combo; and a no-stripe Mark III 180-watt Coliseum head with 412 Half-Back cabs.

I have the standard black V:25 head with a matching set of Slant and Straight 112 V30 Mini Recto cabs, bought used. I have also used it with a 212 V30 Horizontal Recto cab, an older 212 C-90/MS-12 Half-Back cab, a 412 C-90/EVM Half-Back cab and a 412 all-EVM Half-Back cab.

Then I found a used Mark V:35 (custom green/tan grill) 112 C-90 combo. On the one gig I've done with it, used it on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Thiele cab. I also have comparable a DC-3 112 V30 combo, and the Class A Maverick 212 combo.

I have not gigged with the Mark V Series amps very much to be honest, but I have with all of the others. The DC-3 took some getting used to, after years of using 6L6 amps because of its curtailed frequency response and feel. The Maverick is different still and spongier, though both use 4xEL84s, as does the Mark V:35. Yet, the V:35 feels more like a big bottle amp...lots of highs and lows.

The big Mark V is just an amazing amp. With all the Modes and the three power levels, there's like 27 amps in one cab. I have not found a bad tone in this amp. It sounds good at low volume, and the power settings allow you to choose how much headroom you want. I wish I could mix 6L6 and EL34s in the Simul-Class mode like the Mark III and IV, my only real nit. That and the fact that I have a terrible time settling on my favorite tones, especially in the Crunch and Lead Channels.

The Mark V:25 is the best small lunchbox head around, IMO. With the stack, I could have done a lot of club gigs, even with my loud hard-rock band in the '90s. Again, it sounds like a big bottle amp, great cleans. Most of all...it is just a cool-looking mini-stack...and I mean Spinal Tap cool. I just don't know of any amp on the market that really compares with what this amp can do.

The V:35...well...wow. There are a few more features than its little brother but to my mind, worth the extra dinero. I love the combo, and when I used it with the EVM Thiele, there was NO shortage of low end. The Dyna-Watt power section makes it feel more like a 45-60 watt amp. However, I'm not sure about the C90 speaker, and I am toying with replacing it with a V30 or perhaps a Fillmore, or even a Creamback. I think a V:35 head on a V30 212 Vertical Retro cab would be a perfect club amp.

The Mark Series amps have way more gain than I need, as I play more in the classic rock, blues, country and jazz genres. I use G&L Legacy strat-bodies, an ASAT, 335s, Les Pauls, Ibanez GR-520 Ghostriders and DanElectro Innuendo 12-strings. Everything sounds good through these amps. I don't know of many amps that can get Tele twang, and turn that same Tele into a screaming Metal Monster.

I am very fortunate to have found these amps and gotten such great deals on them. I can't really say that I have a favorite model, but I am very comfortable with all of them. Confidence in your gear is a good thing.

Bill
      Awesome!
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
      Looks like you're also a happy Mark owner!
      Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
      OwnHammer.com

Comment

Working...
      X