banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD the amp fender never made but should have.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAD the amp fender never made but should have.

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    Did he modify the bias balance thingy into an adjustable bias?
    Nope. Not even.
    He did set the bias tho at 70%.
    I've got hum balance on three amps now. It's actually pretty good.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
      That's probably why on the '68 Custom series the Custom channel has a Bassman tone stack.
      Clever marketing by fender but there is a lot more to an amp than a couple of capacitors looking after the eq curve in the preamp.
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-19-2019, 02:52 PM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Spectacular!! Can't wait to hear it!

Comment

That is stunning. Those voltage selectable models were made for export markets (obviously..), and we see a few of them here in Australia as we run 240v standard.

I'm about to do a similar thing with an old bandmaster. They only released them as heads with piggyback cabs and the headshell on this one is not original, so into a 1x12 combo it will go. The amp is with my tech now getting an overhaul, then I need to get the cab built. So I need to think about tolex and grille cloth etc..

Where did you get your cabinet and what is the tolex and cloth on yours? It looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by AxlOz View Post
            That is stunning. Those voltage selectable models were made for export markets (obviously..), and we see a few of them here in Australia as we run 240v standard.

I'm about to do a similar thing with an old bandmaster. They only released them as heads with piggyback cabs and the headshell on this one is not original, so into a 1x12 combo it will go. The amp is with my tech now getting an overhaul, then I need to get the cab built. So I need to think about tolex and grille cloth etc..

Where did you get your cabinet and what is the tolex and cloth on yours? It looks great!
            If you are in new south wales give eric bellingham a call at EB Amps and cabs. He has done four amps for me now, a tweed deluxe, a princeton with a 12, one of his own amps based on a jtm 45 and this one. His work is top shelf and he liked working on cool vintage projects. You can choose the type of wood and whatever you like re: tolex and grillcloth.
            This one is a wheat grill with rough fender cream tolex. The choices out there are pretty varied tho. Choosing your fave combination is the hard part.
            Just check what ohms resistance your band master needs. You may want to have a look at replacing the transformer if you are running an 8 ohm load. Replacement trannys are usually less than 150aussie from evatco amps. Just check the original fender part number. Pretty easy to swap them if you get a drop in replacement.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_060655.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	5812990
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-19-2019, 07:57 PM.
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I dont have clipsof this amp yet but I did just record an ep. A spotify link is in the tips and clips if youd like to have a listen. I did all the guitars on that using either a twin or a princeton ii.
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Nice, the wheat grill cloth with rough fender cream tolex was exactly what I was thinking of - then I saw an image of a reissue princeton with sonic blue tolex and wheat grill cloth and I thought I might go in that direction.. Then there's also the speaker - more decisions, but at least I can swap that out any time..
                And yes, I'm in Sydney, and know Eric, will be hitting him up for sure once the tech is done. I'm not sure there's anyone else around that does cabinets..

Would love to hear some clips of yours also!

Comment

One day I'm gonna get eric to do my old twin in that combination. Right now it has no tolex and just stain with estapol.
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I dig the look of stained/varnished cabs. There's a Hotrod Deluxe model that comes like that as standard - they charged more for it! Is it decent looking wood at least? If so i'd say leave it that way!

Comment

Yeah it's a late 60s twin so it is solid pine. I guess a previous owner ripped off the tolex once it got too ratty and just did a little sanding then stained and lacquered it. It just looks a bit like a home made job lol
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I did something similar with a BF Bandmaster---found a 3x10" cab for it cut for the Bandmaster chassis. Used it with a reverb tank or pedal for about 5 years. Another amp that Fender never made. A little less power than a Super Reverb, a lot less weight. I have a '64 Bassman head that I am going to stuff in a 1x15" cab one of these days.
                        Last edited by SoPhx; 02-23-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X