Any feedback on Harbinger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any feedback on Harbinger?

I am looking for a keyboard amp with a 12 and found this Harbinger Vari V2212 600W 12-Inch Two-Way Class D Loudspeaker on MF. I do not need 600 watts but the price is right at $149. Does anyone know anything about these amps?

Re: Any feedback on Harbinger?

The only feedback I've heard on Harbinger is that you get what you pay for.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

FWIW, I was considering a pair for floor monitors, and was steered to a pair of Mackie Thump 12s. I am very pleased with the Thumps.

For home use with my little Casio, I use a pair of GC's Acoustic Control AB-50 amps, designed for acoustic bass. Good little utility amps; I've run guitars, bass, keys and drum machines through them.

The Harbingers should be okay for home practice, but I'd be leery of pushing them hard at a club gig. Keyboards are demanding on an amp and speakers.

Bill
      Last edited by Boogie Bill; 02-17-2019, 12:57 AM.
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Don’t have experience with Harbinger, but Roland is the most affordable and still good sounding keyboard amp IME.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Don’t have experience with Harbinger, but Roland is the most affordable and still good sounding keyboard amp IME.
          Yeah, I know. But with all of the expenses with the new house, I am trying to keep spending at a minimum. I did look at the Mackie Thump 12s Bill suggested and you guys know I am a Roland fanboy. I need to think about Harbinger. You are not getting a deal if they **** the bed and you have to buy the gear twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
            FWIW, I was considering a pair for floor monitors, and was steered to a pair of Mackie Thump 12s. I am very pleased with the Thumps.

For home use with my little Casio, I use a pair of GC's Acoustic Control AB-50 amps, designed for acoustic bass. Good little utility amps; I've run guitars, bass, keys and drum machines through them.

The Harbingers should be okay for home practice, but I'd be leery of pushing them hard at a club gig. Keyboards are demanding on an amp and speakers.

Bill
            +1

I really should have been more specific last night. I've heard that you get what you pay for because of poor (comparatively) speaker efficiency and amps that are "creatively" rated in terms of wattage. It should be fine for home practice, but I would expect it to run out of headroom and volume much more quickly than a similar amp from a more reputable manufacturer in a gig situation.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

A few years ago I bought one of those to use as a floor wedge monitor. I hated it. It had a switchable button for line level and mic level. Line level barely worked and mic level was so hot I couldn’t control feedback. I traded them in at GC and they raked me over the coals...I actually said to the guy “you gonna at least buy me a drink before you rape me”?
              Anyway, I got a Mackie Thump 12 and couldn’t be happier with them.

Comment

I tried a pair of them, both were awful and they went back the next day. They were utterly unusable for any purpose. Pop the extra few bucks for Mackie Thumps, I have 7 or 8 of the 12 and 15 inch versions, they're way more solid and reliable.

Comment

Cool, I will keep shopping. Right now I am using a 20-watt bass practice amp for the keys and it is working in the band situation but I am pushing it to the limits absolutely no headroom left. I am thinking 60-watts will get me over the hump, any additional wattage is a bonus.

Comment

Don't discount other brands you might find used. Peavey has several options, from their powered PA speakers, to the KB-300 and beyond. One keyboard guy in a band I was in used a XR-600C mixer top box into a single SP-2 PA speaker. The SP-5 or one of the International Series speakers would work well too.

Or try a TKO, TNT or Combo bass amp. These have built-in crossover, so you can create a bi-amped rig for cheap. Set a x-over frequency at about 100Hz (middle C is 250Hz); run the lows back into the bass amp and the the highs into a guitar amp, preferably with reverb. That will add some nice spaciousness to the highs, and you can keep the low end clean. Or, use a phasor or chorus. I did this with a friend's Rhodes, and it sounded huge...in stereo with the amps spread!

I've used Peavey gear for years with great results, but a few years ago I bought a set of Carvin LM-15A tops and some matching LS1801 subs and they work great. You can find good stuff from JBL, Mackie, Carvin, Yamaha et. al. Lots of options...especially if you think outside the box.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Good advise, Bill.
                      Thee are lot of good speakers out there.

Comment

I would probably want to bump it up to at least an Alto - https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ed-loudspeaker

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          I would probably want to bump it up to at least an Alto - https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ed-loudspeaker
                          I was gonna suggest that too. Again - depending how loud, the ts212 might work fine.

I have what I believe is a slightly older version of you posted Bruce. Very similar except a 5 band EQ and less power. Then again, it was used from a pawn show with a stand for like $50 bucks. For a solo acoustic and vocal gig - works fine. Have I used it as a band monitor? Yep. Am I a fan - no. I would seriously question the "600 watt" legitimacy.

Honestly, I agree - the real issue is how hard are you pushing it? For a little stage volume, I think it would be fine. Our drummer uses something similar for a monitor. Does it sound epic good? No. Will it take the beating of JBL/EV/Mackie? Will it work if you don't throw it in and out of trucks beds and run it at 11? Sure.

I would look used carefully, or go with the Alto new. Nothing but love has been heard / experienced with those.

I will also point out I hear a lot (don't know how true) about Mackie Thump stuff with blown power units.
                          Last edited by Aceman; 02-18-2019, 08:16 PM.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            I was gonna suggest that too. Again - depending how loud, the ts212 might work fine.
                            I looked at the Alto very cool. MF and every other retailer just dropped the price of the JBL, which tells me a new model is on the way. If I can get them to apply the typical 15% discount to the JBL I can get it for the same price as the Alto. If so I will take the plunge.

JBL EON 612 1,000-Watt Powered 12" Two-Way Loudspeaker System with Bluetooth Control

Comment

Another vote for the Alto, or even used powered EVs. I have Thumps and they are good for a small duo PA, or using a direct guitar rig for rehearsal, but if you want a louder stage volume, they don't work- they can't compete with a dedicated guitar amp for sheer volume.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X