Opinions on Orange amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Orange amps

I am in the market for a new amp to upgrade from my Line 6 Spyder 3. was at Guitar center and it was hard to not see the Orange line up.
    got to asking the guys at Guitar center about them and they gavethem great props for being good amps.
    the one i am looking at is the Crush 35RT for $260

what are your alls opinion on the Orange amps

Re: Opinions on Orange amps

I think their mid and higher end amps are great. They've got a pretty unique rasp to their high-end, and throaty creaminess to the mids.

Their cabinets aren't as mic-friendly as other comparable high-end cabs, but they're built like tanks, and have the potential to sound killer too.

Many people seem to think the Crush series is great. I personally don't find them overly fantastic. They are solid amps for what they are, but I'd personally rather go for a Peavey or a Randall as far as solid state goes... unless of course you're going for the Orange sound.

I guess my point is the Crush series look eye-catching with the bright orange tolex, but IMO, they're as good as any other solid-state in the price range. They obviously have more of the Orange vibe going on, though, so if that's your thing...

Don't get me wrong, though. I do like Orange amps. I own a PPC112 cab, my friend's Rockerverb 50 is one of the best amps I've played, and I'm GASing hard for an OR15. It's just the Crush series that's a bit mehh to my ears.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-18-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Save your $ for an OR15, you can probably pick one up used for around $400.

Comment

If I were looking at Orange amps I’d be looking at their tube amps.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

The thunderverb and rockerverb amps are great.

Comment

The Orange tubes are well made and fine sounding tubes amps IMHO. I own an Orange Dark Terror and would say it's more enjoyable with Rock and some Metal music. I use it for Zeppelin type Rock and Classic Rock. Their speaker cabs also are great for today's Rock music. For some folks, though, Orange is an acquired taste. I think it deserves more attention than it currently gets where it seems to fly under the radar when Marshall, VOX, Fender, et. al. get the majority of discussions in online forums.

Studioplayer

Comment

Originally posted by Onahgh View Post
              I am in the market for a new amp to upgrade from my Line 6 Spyder 3. was at Guitar center and it was hard to not see the Orange line up.
              got to asking the guys at Guitar center about them and they gavethem great props for being good amps.
              the one i am looking at is the Crush 35RT for $260

what are your alls opinion on the Orange amps
              Just my opinion, but you could get a Peavey Transtube solid state amp for much less (they're always for sale) and they are great, well made amps.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the guys who say ditch the SS stuff, and look at their tube amps. The exception could be a used Crush Pro 60. That's a solid amp, but their tube amps still sound better.

You can find a used Tiny Terror combo for around $400. Here's a bunch on Guitar Center's used page. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/?N...r%20combo&Ns=r

Some of them are going for $350. That's only a bit more than you're already thinking, and you'll have a much better amp.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Orange tube amps are decent. Like the other guys are saying, avoid the solid-state stuff. I owned a pretty high end Orange tube amp head, but ended up selling it because I just dislike the overall voicing of the amp. I find a lot of Orange amps have a darker voicing than the tone I'm typically yearning to hear. Some folks may enjoy this darker tone...I don't, and I think the markup for Orange tolex must be 500% or something.

I prefer the Marshall tone for all my high gain needs.

Orange cabs are awesome though. I have the closed 1x12 and 2x12 cabs and they both sound great and can be found for a good deal used. I play my Marshall head through my Orange cabs.
                  ROCK ON.

Comment

I think Orange's solid state stuff is very good for what it is. The non-Pro Crushes are very competent practice amps. The Crush Pros are solid pedal platforms on their clean channels. Their drive channels are pretty decent by themselves and can sound excellent with pedals in front.

Of course, if the funds are there, scope out the tube stuff. I would avoid the Micro Dark and Terror. I don't think they're much better than the Crush Pros. Once you get to the 15-watt heads and combos - Rocker 15, Brent Hinds Terror, Jim Root Terror, OR15 - and up, then you are looking at serious, gig-worthy amps.

It all depends on what your needs are. If your wallet and back are strong, head straight to a Rockerverb 100 with a 4x12 and prepare to meet your neighbors (or the cops they call).

Comment

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
                      Orange tube amps are decent. Like the other guys are saying, avoid the solid-state stuff. I owned a pretty high end Orange tube amp head, but ended up selling it because I just dislike the overall voicing of the amp. I find a lot of Orange amps have a darker voicing than the tone I'm typically yearning to hear. Some folks may enjoy this darker tone...I don't, and I think the markup for Orange tolex must be 500% or something.

I prefer the Marshall tone for all my high gain needs.

Orange cabs are awesome though. I have the closed 1x12 and 2x12 cabs and they both sound great and can be found for a good deal used. I play my Marshall head through my Orange cabs.
                      Where do you get the markup thing? Oranges are mostly cheaper compared to equivalent Marshall or Fender stuff.

Orange voicing is the thing in those amps. That low end grunt is brilliant and I love it for riffing rock music.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        Where do you get the markup thing? Oranges are mostly cheaper compared to equivalent Marshall or Fender stuff.

Orange voicing is the thing in those amps. That low end grunt is brilliant and I love it for riffing rock music.
                        Yeah man! The grunt is awesome when you play to it.

My favorite thing about modern Oranges, other than the tone and overdrive, is that you can turn the guitar volume down to levels that would make most other amps sound like muddy crap, but there is still a usable tone there. It's bright enough and loud enough to cut through a mix, and you get to smack the strings a bit, too.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Last time I looked, which was a while ago the Rockerverb 100 amps were upwards of $2200, iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            Last time I looked, which was a while ago the Rockerverb 100 amps were upwards of $2200, iirc.
                            Wow they're expensive... Haven't looked new amps for quite a while. AD and cheaper segments used to be inline, but it seems Marshall has expanded in cheaper categories.

Used Rockerverbs go for the same as other similar amps though. SO not much worth buying new.

Are all Marshalls now build in east? New prices seems really low compared to what the used cost in classifieds... Oranges from AD range upwards are still made in England.
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Are all Marshalls now build in east? New prices seems really low compared to what the used cost in classifieds... Oranges from AD range upwards are still made in England.
                              No, JVMs, Vintage re-issues, Hand Wired series, and the new Studio Series (20/5 watt, plexi, 800, and Jubilee) are UK made.

Comment

Working...
                              X