banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of downsizing from my 4x12 cab, recommendations/advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of downsizing from my 4x12 cab, recommendations/advice?

As some of you may have seen in my other recent thread here https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ferrerid=19446, i just replaced the 4 stock G12T-75 speakers in my Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab. With more time spent with the 4 new speakers, i think i could easily be content with just 2 of them.

So, the most obvious option is to get a 2x12 cab. But more appealing at the moment, is the idea of buying two 1x12 cabs. I like the idea of being able to put one cab on stage left and one cab on stage right , thinking i can cover the overall room better. But, would that truly work out? I have read that multiple speakers arranged together "move more air" and so yield a better overall tone for the listener? Also, is there going to be a big change in the overall tone when changing over from a 4x12 to a 2x12 cab or two 1x12 cabs, assuming all cabs have comparable build quality? Another reason i like the idea of two 1x12 cabs on paper better than a 2x12, is reduced weight and bulk when it comes to transporting them around.

Also, what are some good quality 1x12 cabs that i should check out? Same question for 2x12 cabs?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-19-2019, 10:04 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Thinking of downsizing from my 4x12 cab, recommendations/advice?

With a little more thought, i answered one of my own questions ... becaus the two speakers under consideration are not the same... yes, there would be a difference in perceived tone when splitting the two of them up into separate 1x12 cabs. Haha
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

For me 2x12 cabs are great, you will get better results than two 1x12cabs because 2 cabs in one bigger wood will sound bigger
      I think 4x12 cabs for stadiums or recordings other than that is just we want to buy bigger and expensive stuff.
      I did a test video with Marshall Mini Jubilees matching 2x12 cab and resulted great. I advice 2536 cab to you
      https://youtu.be/Pw9GOxyXUvg
      Last edited by arayadis; 02-20-2019, 02:33 AM.
      https://www.youtube.com/arayadis

Comment

Thinking of downsizing from my 4x12 cab, recommendations/advice?

If you’re mic-ing your cab(s), splitting them stage left/right probably won’t make much difference in the FOH mix.
        It may help with the stage mix but if your band is using IEM’s or floor wedges it just ends up being and extra piece of gear you’re lugging around.

Comment

Nothing quite sounds like a 412. A 2x12 cab will never faithfully reproduce the level of sound projection and tone from a 412. But by design, a 412 is just impractical. Especially for gigging musicians.

I've owned a few 2x12 cabs over the years, and was never satisfied with them. Coming from 4x12's, they always sounded small, flat and beamy to me. But, what they make up for in practicality can supercede that in most cases.

Recently I've invested in two 1x12 cabs and have really liked the results. Together, they sound just as big as a 2x12 cab, but with better, more"3D" projection based on the different ways you can angle and position them. A gigging musician can also get by with one 1x12 in need be if the venue calls for it and if speaker and amplifier choice are appropriate.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
            Nothing quite sounds like a 412. A 2x12 cab will never faithfully reproduce the level of sound projection and tone from a 412. But by design, a 412 is just impractical. Especially for gigging musicians.

I've owned a few 2x12 cabs over the years, and was never satisfied with them. Coming from 4x12's, they always sounded small, flat and beamy to me. But, what they make up for in practicality can supercede that in most cases.

Recently I've invested in two 1x12 cabs and have really liked the results. Together, they sound just as big as a 2x12 cab, but with better, more"3D" projection based on the different ways you can angle and position them. A gigging musician can also get by with one 1x12 in need be if the venue calls for it and if speaker and amplifier choice are appropriate.

Cool, thanks. What is the model number of those Peavey 1x12 cabs in that photo you posted in your reply?

Comment

I'm rocking an Egnater Rebel 112X loaded with an Eminence Wizard. In the past I've used both a late 70s Marshall straight 4x12 loaded with G12H blackbacks and an Ear Candy Buzzbomb 2x12 also loaded with Emi Wizards. Honestly I don't notice much difference between the three other than volume.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                Cool, thanks. What is the model number of those Peavey 1x12 cabs in that photo you posted in your reply?
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I just picked up an Avatar 1-12 Converible cab, it's big for a 1-12 and it has a removable panel on the back so you can run it open or closed back. I looked at Orange and Peavey cabs, but couldn't beat the Avatar at $329 shipped, and you get to choose the speaker. It's quite a bit bigger than the other 2, more than I expected, but I think that is a good thing, some 1-12s can sound boxy.

Comment

Cabinet interior volume has quite a lot to do with the "tonal potential" of the cab. There will be tonal differences when you switch to a split cabinet setup, even if you use exactly the same speakers, and even if you use exactly the same number of speakers. E.g. a 4x12 will probably be tuned differently than four 1x12's with the same speakers, even if the four 1x12's are stacked 2x2 so that the speakers are similarly placed as they would be in a 4x12. The question is not whether there will be tonal differences; there is no question that there will be. The question is whether the tonal differences will be beneficial or not...and that can't be answered except by you.

That said, two 2x12's will generally sound closer to a 4x12 than will four 1x12's. I would go for a double 2x12 setup, so you can run one or two of them. Then get a single 1x12 for times when you want a more simple and small grab-n-go rig.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-21-2019, 02:31 AM.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

At that price it’s a no brainer

Comment

I've been using a 1x12 combo stacked on top of a 1x12 extension cab for more than a decade now, and really like the setup. I like it better than a 2x12 (also it's easier to carry around), as mentioned you can angle the cabs a bit so the sound spreads out more, it's taller which also helps spread the sound out a bit more.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i used to have two mesa 1x12 cabs. they sounded good but nothing like a 4x12. i have a fender vibroking 2x12 cab and i dont miss the 4x12. the 2x12 isnt that much smaller but it is smaller and lighter and sounds great

Comment

A 2x12 that sounds close to a 4x12 is this one:

Comment

I have an Orange PPC112 and a Marshall 1960A both loaded with 16 ohm Celestion G12H-75 Creambacks.

It's night and day, TBH. As much as the Orange is a solid cab for its size, it just doesn't sound nearly as good as the 4x12.

Comment

Working...
                              X