banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic tube amp comparison! 13 amps! Mesa, ENGL, EVH, Orange, Marshall, Laney & Peavey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epic tube amp comparison! 13 amps! Mesa, ENGL, EVH, Orange, Marshall, Laney & Pea

Regarding the Laney IRT, did you find noticable difference when the EQs were in pulled position? I found that the pulls didn't really affect the tone except for the treble knob, which added more mid range.

Comment

Re: Epic tube amp comparison! 13 amps! Mesa, ENGL, EVH, Orange, Marshall, Laney & Pea

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      Regarding the Laney IRT, did you find noticable difference when the EQs were in pulled position? I found that the pulls didn't really affect the tone except for the treble knob, which added more mid range.
      I did notice a difference yes.
      The treble knob was the most drastic of the three though.
      Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
      OwnHammer.com

Comment

Ok OP - for fun and risk of being embarrassed -I listened ONLY lol. and haven't seen what the amps are.

First impressions -nice work and great effort -All of the amps sound at least Good to Great. -Not one was bad -so I'm guessing you didn't throw in a turd just to mess with me.

You have most dialed in so similar for this comparison that it would be nice if you did a second one playing on the distinct tones of the amps too. Some were so similar that I had to get my wife to back it up and play again to make sure I hadn't lost count.

Your clean guitar (Tele?) needs to be set up a little different in the future IMO -the ratty fret noise interferes with the goals of the video -Cool sound, but not as good for Amp comparisons

the early amps are more alternative and Metal sounding to me and the last half are more mid range Britishy

6 and 8 and 2 were my Favs
        3 and 7 were my least favs.

#1 like this one -bluesy American cleans
        #2 Love the Cleans on this one -very smooth and deep
        #3 not my cup of tea -generic and makes me think of Nu Metal. My least favorite
        #4 has almost a Fendery clean -kinda cool
        #5 has a Distinct clean -not for everyone -but I applaud it's more original tone.
        #6 My favorite my a wide margin -British and lovely
        #7 good sound but a bit generic or regular
        #8 Probably my second favorite
        #9 good amp
        #10 Smooth cleans
        #11 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
        #12 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
        #13 had a touch fuller more classic dirty sound to me. cool

OK EDIT -now I've seen the amps in the Video

I guess it should be no surprise that my favorite amps 6 and 8 -I actually have owned. Surprised by the EVH -never knew I liked them like I do apparently

MESA #1 like this one -bluesy American cleans
        EVH #2 Love the Cleans on this one -very smooth and deep
        MESA Dual Rect #3 not my cup of tea -generic and makes me think of Nu Metal. My least favorite
        LANEY #4 has almost a Fendery clean -kinda cool
        ENGL #5 has a Distinct clean -not for everyone -but I applaud it's more original tone.
        Marshall JCM #6 My favorite my a wide margin -British and lovely
        Peavey #7 good sound but a bit generic or regular

You were clearly messing with my mind putting these all in a row -I have no idea if it's that they are THAT similar or my attention was lessoning -

Orange OR15 #8 Probably my second favorite
        OR Terror Dual . #9 good amp
        OR Terror Dark #10 Smooth cleans
        OR Terror Root #11 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
        OR Terror Rocker #12 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
        OR Terror Dirty Bhind #13 had a touch fuller more classic dirty sound to me. cool

I think the Root or Dirty Bhinds was my favorite terror

I wonder if put in a different order how my opinion would change with the amps that are similar?
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 03-17-2019, 08:59 AM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Ok OP - for fun and risk of being embarrassed -I listened ONLY lol. and haven't seen what the amps are.

First impressions -nice work and great effort -All of the amps sound at least Good to Great. -Not one was bad -so I'm guessing you didn't throw in a turd just to mess with me.

You have most dialed in so similar for this comparison that it would be nice if you did a second one playing on the distinct tones of the amps too. Some were so similar that I had to get my wife to back it up and play again to make sure I hadn't lost count.

Your clean guitar (Tele?) needs to be set up a little different in the future IMO -the ratty fret noise interferes with the goals of the video -Cool sound, but not as good for Amp comparisons

the early amps are more alternative and Metal sounding to me and the last half are more mid range Britishy

6 and 8 and 2 were my Favs
          3 and 7 were my least favs.

#1 like this one -bluesy American cleans
          #2 Love the Cleans on this one -very smooth and deep
          #3 not my cup of tea -generic and makes me think of Nu Metal. My least favorite
          #4 has almost a Fendery clean -kinda cool
          #5 has a Distinct clean -not for everyone -but I applaud it's more original tone.
          #6 My favorite my a wide margin -British and lovely
          #7 good sound but a bit generic or regular
          #8 Probably my second favorite
          #9 good amp
          #10 Smooth cleans
          #11 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
          #12 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
          #13 had a touch fuller more classic dirty sound to me. cool

OK EDIT -now I've seen the amps in the Video

I guess it should be no surprise that my favorite amps 6 and 8 -I actually have owned. Surprised by the EVH -never knew I liked them like I do apparently

MESA #1 like this one -bluesy American cleans
          EVH #2 Love the Cleans on this one -very smooth and deep
          MESA Dual Rect #3 not my cup of tea -generic and makes me think of Nu Metal. My least favorite
          LANEY #4 has almost a Fendery clean -kinda cool
          ENGL #5 has a Distinct clean -not for everyone -but I applaud it's more original tone.
          Marshall JCM #6 My favorite my a wide margin -British and lovely
          Peavey #7 good sound but a bit generic or regular

You were clearly messing with my mind putting these all in a row -I have no idea if it's that they are THAT similar or my attention was lessoning -

Orange OR15 #8 Probably my second favorite
          OR Terror Dual . #9 good amp
          OR Terror Dark #10 Smooth cleans
          OR Terror Root #11 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
          OR Terror Rocker #12 Liked the dirty mid range a lot
          OR Terror Dirty Bhind #13 had a touch fuller more classic dirty sound to me. cool

I think the Root or Dirty Bhinds was my favorite terror

I wonder if put in a different order how my opinion would change with the amps that are similar?
          Awesome, great observations!
          Everyone should do that actually, listen and not watch.
          Did you go back afterwards to see which ones the actual amps were?
          Who knows, you could be surprised
          Anyway, Thanks for watching and giving your opinions!

Edit: just saw your edit! Very cool
          That EVH is the EL34 version so perhaps that's the reason you like that one?
          Last edited by Guitarjon; 03-17-2019, 09:56 AM.
          Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
          OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
            Edit: just saw your edit! Very cool
            That EVH is the EL34 version so perhaps that's the reason you like that one?
            Ha. great point... I'm an EL34 worshipper.!

Thanks for the vid -I've never messed with an EVH amp honestly -I learned something today!
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks for making this video! Great work. It reveals me everything I need to know about these amps.

What do y'all guys mean by "clean"? I can't understand the word.
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Working...
              X