ADA MP-1 Surgery Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA MP-1 Surgery Success

Coin battery finally died (since 1989!). No more remembering presets...

Problem is, the coin battery is soldered to the board. (what problem?)

So the fix is to desolder the battery and remove, then install a coin battery holder, then insert coin battery.

Once new parts are installed, turn on and wait for error codes to finish, then:

Press STORE and then BANK & 1 together, this will load the factory presets. 29 presets if V1 eprom, 69 for V2 eprom

Verify presets loaded, then power off and back on. Should be sitting at "1" patch with no errors!

Finished work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6402 -600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	5850798

Offending coin battery excised:

Name:	IMG_6403 -600.jpg
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	5850799
    Last edited by LLL; 02-20-2019, 08:44 PM.

Re: ADA MP-1 Surgery Success

Very cool!
    Is Adadepot still in action? They had all kinds of cool stuff on there back in the day. I miss my MP-2 a lot and sometimes want to get another one. I ran Tung-sol's in mine. It came with GT's which sounded good as well.
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Wow, they soldered the battery in! How odd!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Wow, they soldered the battery in! How odd!
        It was a strange time back then... dudes wearing spandex and lace and stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
          Very cool!
          Is Adadepot still in action? They had all kinds of cool stuff on there back in the day. I miss my MP-2 a lot and sometimes want to get another one. I ran Tung-sol's in mine. It came with GT's which sounded good as well.
          I believe I just visited them not long ago to find info on the mod.

Comment

Hrm, didn't realize they were soldered in. I'll have to check mine to see if it's already been swapped or not.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              It was a strange time back then... dudes wearing spandex and lace and stuff...
              Very funny!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Will it retain its presets if you leave it plugged in while you change the battery? EEPROM is such a huge improvement over battery-backed memory.

A couple years ago I handled a tech support call from a guy at a nuclear power station. They had a 30-year-old control system that operated their water treatment plant. To program and maintain that control system, they had ONE obsolete laptop (with floppy drives and no USB ports), running the required obsolete software, under an obsolete operating system (DOS). The clock battery in the laptop died and the BIOS disappeared. Sadly, "Dude, you are f***ed." is not on the list of approved tech support diagnostic phrases.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                  Hrm, didn't realize they were soldered in. I'll have to check mine to see if it's already been swapped or not.
                  The top and bottom case plates simply screw off... no fancy work needed to look inside.

The old (surface mount) coin battery has two leads coming directly off of it.

Of course, one could just buy a replacement (Mouser has em) but the mod is the way to go.

If you need part numbers for the coin battery holder and battery let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                    Will it retain its presets if you leave it plugged in while you change the battery? EEPROM is such a huge improvement over battery-backed memory.
                    Doubtful it will remember.

You should do a MIDI SYSEX to dump your settings first (or just write down the presets).

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

If you need part numbers for the coin battery holder and battery let me know.
                      Please do, as I imagine I will need to at somepoint, even without looking haha
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                        Please do, as I imagine I will need to at somepoint, even without looking haha
                        Here's the 2 items you need (I ordered 2 of each) from Mouser... very cheap fix:

Name:	ada mp1 battery parts.jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	5813008

Keep in mind to observe the polarity of the coin battery holder when installing (the ADA PCB has a little "+" etched on the board on both sides).

It's a perfect fit (assuming you remove the existing solder).

Comment

Comment

Peavey Rockmaster is a better preamp...

Seriously, cool mod. I spend a lot of time repairing battery clips, but they're in keyless entry fobs.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have an innate fear of batteries leaking. Having coin ones in some rack gear keeps me up at night.

Comment

Working...
                              X