banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The right speaker for digtal/ digital modelling amps..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The right speaker for digtal/ digital modelling amps..

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

If the amp also models the speaker, then I would choose the flattest sounding speaker there is. You essentially need a PA speaker that is full range/flat response.
    I second this comment -I would avoid speakers with very distinct voicings -like any Jensen, Greenbacks, 30s or Lead style 70s and 75s. Eminence makes some pretty flat 70 and 75 watt options in my experience.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have a Roland 40XL (cube series). 40 watts with a "10 Roland spec. speaker. The best sounds were the JC clean and acoustic. Black face was Good. The Fender Tweed and Marshall settings were slightly overdriven without any gain added. I swapped the standard speaker for a Celestion Bulldog, samespec 8 ohm and "10". 3 things happened; there was a slight drop in volume output; the Tweed and Marshall voicings cleaned up, ie; no gritty sounds -(unless dialled in). Much better. high gain is slightly smoother. On the other hand the acoustic settings, not quite as good but still pleasing. It's all compromise. The magnet on the Celestion is one third smaller than on the stock speaker. This suggests a large magnet reacts quicker, with a bit more more force and is more sensitive and therefore brings out the harshness apparent in many digital amp modellers...in my opinion

Comment

I thought the 'voicing, was in the amp..not speaker . The Marshall sound is surely in the circuit design, choice of valves ..regardless of brand of speaker or magnet type
        Last edited by Gold star; 02-28-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Kinda shocking that "negative IRs" (EQ flatteners) for actual speakers used haven't become a thing yet.
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

It does not

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              Kinda shocking that "negative IRs" (EQ flatteners) for actual speakers used haven't become a thing yet.
              How do you add something back?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                I thought the 'voicing, was in the amp..not speaker . The Marshall sound is surely in the circuit design, choice of valves ..regardless of brand of speaker or magnet type
                Yes and no, the original Marshall design was basically a Fender Bassman circuit with some minor tweaks to use tubes that were readily available in the UK, EL34s instead of 6L6s. ECC83s were/are basically the same as 12AX7s. So, the change in output tubes along with the Celestion (Greenback?) speakers and the speaker cabinets was the difference ins sound between the Fender Bassman and the Marshall JTM (someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the original Marshall designation).

One of the biggest changes you can do to an amp is to change the speaker. There are about as many speaker choices as pickup choices, and in the big picture, I would say the speaker has more to do with the tone than the pickup. But yes, there is still a "Marshall" type tone, a "Fender" type tone, etc... but it is shaped by what it comes out of.

Now, with modelers that are doing cab modeling, you want a flat response and let the modeler take care of all the shaping.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                  Both have voicings -honestly -speakers have often more impact on your sound and tone that actual amps -depending on how transparent the amp and flat the speaker are. changing to a different speaker voicing is sometimes more dramatic than switching out your guitar to another guitar!

pickups, speakers and amp pre -probably the 3 biggest parts of your tone -unless you saturate your sound with pedals of course.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

OK thanks

Comment

They are working on a simulated morphing speaker sphere....it will obliterate everybody....in a simulated way!

Comment

@devastone and @NegativeEase have pretty much nailed the perfect answers to this.

For the sake of interest here's a fine example of the difference a speaker can make to a digital modelling amp. even with that amp. having built in cab. sims.:

Comment

But not all FRFR speaker cabinets are made equal either:

Comment

As I mentioned before, I use a modeler (GT-1000) and have a cab with a Classic Lead 80. When I run through the cab I turn off the cab/speaker modeling, so it is like running the amp (whichever model(s) are in the patch) through the cab, so, more like a multi-channel amp through a guitar cab. Yes, not as flexible as modeling, but being as old school as I am, it's gives me more of that amp feeling when I want it although 90% of my live playing is direct through the PA with in-ear modelers.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                              But not all FRFR speaker cabinets are made equal either
                              I can absolutely agree. I wouldn't call even my studio monitors "flat response". I think the whole FRFR term is misleading.

On the topic, I like simple effective things. I use AMT preamps into a DI box split1 XLR into PA split2 jack into an Alto TS310 live. It is not a substitute of a tube amp + 4x12" cabs but works fine.
                              Last edited by NecroPolo; 03-04-2019, 10:15 AM.
                              Wackor
                              Ørdøg
                              NecroPolo
                              Diabolus in Musica
                              SIDrip Alliance
                              Book of Shadows
                              RKH

Comment

Here's (below) a pretty alright video discussing the topic of FRFR vs. guitar cabinet speakers. No demos but some good info.

As somebody commented in the video comments though: "FRFR is a rabbit hole....so are IRs, both nearfield and far field".

Comment

Working...
                                X