NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 30R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 30R

Starting tweaking it today after getting it last night but not having time to do much yesterday.

It's a lot smaller than I thought and seems quite light compared to my Blackstar. Very easily carried around. I played through with my American Standard Fender Strat with stock bridge, locking tuners and noiseless DiMarzio SCs.

Keep in mind, everything is brand new, so I'm curious how the tone will change as it breaks in. I also don't have the ideal set up just yet, but was jut moving knobs around.

Clean channel: It's not Vintage Fender, but it is very fendery. Clear and sparkly and VERY articulate. Much more so than the Blackstar. I like my tone rather trebly and have the treble set to about 2 O'clock and it's not ice picky at all. It seems like every tone control makes things more articulate in that EQ setting. So mess with the Bass, and it doesn't get spongy and boom, but the notes just seem to articulate more to the Bass tones. Very happy with the clean sound, as that can be the basis for any kind of pedal shenanigans.

Dirty channel: The way I can describe stage one is smooooth. Almost Mesa/Boogie-ish in it's milder gain settings. I hear an early, thicker Santana-ish gain, but I set the gain kinda high just to see what it can do. I'll have to mess with that a bit. It's a tad squishy for me, but I also need to see what it sounds like on the middle and bridge pick ups, as I tend to live on the Neck and neck/middle positions.

The Dirty channel has a boost/second gain stage and it SCREAMS. Very edgy with just the right amount of volume boost. When I hit it and starting playing, I literally said "WOW", out loud. Love it. Can't wait to put my analog delay through it to see how it sounds.

I can say that this little guy is LOUD. I have the volume at about 10 O'clock and it was easily as loud as the Blackstar 40W at that same volume, but the Bassbreaker doesn't have an MV knob.

Lastly, was the reverb. I traditionally don't dial in a lot of reverb, so for me it sounded really good at a low setting, and fit my room very well. I know people will balk because it's not a spring reverb, but I really couldn't care less. The fact that it is digital is not a factor for me. I'd been using digital reverb through the Axe Fx for a decade so it's nothing I really nit pick about. Sounds good. Does its job.

I personally love the sounds I got quickly from the amp. I think if you are looking for "vintage" Fender sounds, this really isn't it. It seems like a testosterone fueled Blues DeVille that I remember a friend had, that I borrowed. If you played through the Bassbreaker 15, you will be very familiar with how the 30R sounds. Just louder, and the dirty channel is meaner, LOL.

Eventually will put a full video demo and review on my YouTube channel.

NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 30R

Congrats! Glad it’s working out!

Does it have XLR and have you tried it? It would be great if you could test it when you demo it.

Comment

Re: NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 30R

Congrats! This amp is on my list.

I am just getting used to my new B.B. 15 combo. I've only put about 8 or 10 hours on it so far...but I'm loving every minute. I'm hoping that the 30R is basically the same thing, only with twice the power amp oomph.

At the very least, I would like to get my 15's grille replaced with the grille cloth used on the 30R.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
        Congrats! Glad it’s working out!

Does it have XLR and have you tried it? It would be great if you could test it when you demo it.
        It does, and I will certainly do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
          It does, and I will certainly do that!
          Awesome, thanks for considering it.

Comment

Starting tweaking it today after getting it last night but not having time to do much yesterday.

It's a lot smaller than I thought and seems quite light compared to my Blackstar. Very easily carried around. I played through with my American Standard Fender Strat with stock bridge, locking tuners and noiseless DiMarzio SCs.

Keep in mind, everything is brand new, so I'm curious how the tone will change as it breaks in. I also don't have the ideal set up just yet, but was jut moving knobs around.

Clean channel: It's not Vintage Fender, but it is very fendery. Clear and sparkly and VERY articulate. Much more so than the Blackstar. I like my tone rather trebly and have the treble set to about 2 O'clock and it's not ice picky at all. It seems like every tone control makes things more articulate in that EQ setting. So mess with the Bass, and it doesn't get spongy and boom, but the notes just seem to articulate more to the Bass tones. Very happy with the clean sound, as that can be the basis for any kind of pedal shenanigans.

Dirty channel: The way I can describe stage one is smooooth. Almost Mesa/Boogie-ish in it's milder gain settings. I hear an early, thicker Santana-ish gain, but I set the gain kinda high just to see what it can do. I'll have to mess with that a bit. It's a tad squishy for me, but I also need to see what it sounds like on the middle and bridge pick ups, as I tend to live on the Neck and neck/middle positions.

The Dirty channel has a boost/second gain stage and it SCREAMS. Very edgy with just the right amount of volume boost. When I hit it and starting playing, I literally said "WOW", out loud. Love it. Can't wait to put my analog delay through it to see how it sounds.

I can say that this little guy is LOUD. I have the volume at about 10 O'clock and it was easily as loud as the Blackstar 40W at that same volume, but the Bassbreaker doesn't have an MV knob.

Lastly, was the reverb. I traditionally don't dial in a lot of reverb, so for me it sounded really good at a low setting, and fit my room very well. I know people will balk because it's not a spring reverb, but I really couldn't care less. The fact that it is digital is not a factor for me. I'd been using digital reverb through the Axe Fx for a decade so it's nothing I really nit pick about. Sounds good. Does its job.

I personally love the sounds I got quickly from the amp. I think if you are looking for "vintage" Fender sounds, this really isn't it. It seems like a testosterone fueled Blues DeVille that I remember a friend had, that I borrowed. If you played through the Bassbreaker 15, you will be very familiar with how the 30R sounds. Just louder, and the dirty channel is meaner, LOL.

Eventually will put a full video demo and review on my YouTube channel.
            This is what I thought when I played this amp at my local guitar shop. I've got mine on layaway and can't wait to get it paid off
            Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Digital reverb is great if you only need a little bit for a bigger room sound
              Spring only matters to me when I'm going for a drenched full on "reverb as an effect" thing, in which case I need the drippy springs!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                Digital reverb is great if you only need a little bit for a bigger room sound
                Spring only matters to me when I'm going for a drenched full on "reverb as an effect" thing, in which case I need the drippy springs!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
                I've heard this many times! I don't think I've ever used Reverb in that capacity, but I totally get it.

Comment

Congrats. This is a nice amp for sure!

B
                  FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Any thoughts of the dirty channel vs Marshall?
                    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

I need another amp like I need a hole in the head, but thanks for the review.

I have a Bassbreaker 007 and the BB 1X12 cab, and I love them. I'm looking at this.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                      Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                      Originally posted by metalmachine
                      dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
                        Any thoughts of the dirty channel vs Marshall?
                        Disclaimer first. I am not a Marshall guy at all. Not a fan. Had a few, never like them. Actually, one of the reasons I got rid of the Blackstar was that I couldn't quite dial the Marshall out of it.

If you are looking for Plexi type lead tones, this amp is not for you. It doesn't have that EVH type articulation for chugging. To my ears, it sounds smoother than the typical Marshall Lead tone. It's hard to describe, but it's not Marshall. I can tell you that for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post
                          I need another amp like I need a hole in the head, but thanks for the review.

I have a Bassbreaker 007 and the BB 1X12 cab, and I love them. I'm looking at this.
                          One thing I can tell you, is if you need the tones at a lower volume like the 007, this amp will be far too loud for you. It sounds good at lower volumes for sure, but really opens up past 9 O'clock on the volumes. Adds that little bit of sparkle.

Comment

Oh no worries. I'll just get an $1,100 attenuator to go with my $900 amp. 'Sall good.

One thing I can tell you, is if you need the tones at a lower volume like the 007, this amp will be far too loud for you. It sounds good at lower volumes for sure, but really opens up past 9 O'clock on the volumes. Adds that little bit of sparkle.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                            Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                            Originally posted by metalmachine
                            dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

While shopping for a wah pedal, I brought my trusty Les Paul in and used a Fender Bassbreaker 15 to demo the wah pedals at the store. I was immediately impressed by the sounds this amp can make! Awesome!

The only thing I didn't like about it is the lack of separate EQ/reverb/master/gain for each channel. As far as I can tell, it is more a "set it and forget" kind of amp... otherwise I'd be tweaking knobs constantly when switching songs and styles.

But, the sounds are as good as everybody else has described. Just had to chime in.
                              ROCK ON.

Comment

Working...
                              X