My Marshall NMV search....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Marshall NMV search....

So I've got the GAS for a NMV Marshall. I'm torn between the 1987x reissue or a 70's jmp. Both can be found for pretty close to the same price. (Within $500 of each other) I realize getting an older amp could require some maintenance if it hasn't had any done to it which doesnt bother me. I just want to get opinions on tone and overall thoughts on each amp. Effects loop is of no use to me so that isnt a selling point for the 1987x. I'm searching for the "brown" sound and my oranges and my jcm 800 dont get me there. Thanks for the input.

And yes I realize the the jmp would be 100w and the 1987x would be 50w
    Last edited by Jr_vw2; 03-04-2019, 02:53 PM.
    Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Re: My Marshall NMV search....

IIRC (and assuming we're talking about stock amps here that haven't been modded), unless the 1987x is a handwired version (or Marshall changed things recently), chances are the circuit is not a 100% faithful recreation of the original... like lots of Marshall reissues were in the past. I haven't kept up with their latest reissue offerings, but I have personal experience with a couple of the older reissues, and Marshall really missed the mark with them. So much so that I gutted my reissues to make them "vintage circuit stock".

Also, the "JMP" (designating "Jim Marshall Products") was simply the moniker printed on the front control panel of the amp; has nothing to do with the wattage.

That being said, if it's clean and the price is right for you, I'd jump on the JMP. But that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Also, the "JMP" (designating "Jim Marshall Products") was simply the moniker printed on the front control panel of the amp; has nothing to do with the wattage.

That being said, if it's clean and the price is right for you, I'd jump on the JMP. But that's me.
      Right. I was mostly pointing out the fact that I am looking at 100w 70s era plexi style amps.

The 1987x did not come hardwired. although there is a 1959hw reissue version out there. But typically at a higher price point.
      Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Comment

Interesting one on Reverb is an 80's JCM800 MkII 1987. $1400
        sigpic
        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Subscribed. Always interested in hearing opinions on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
            I'm searching for the "brown" sound and my oranges and my jcm 800 dont get me there.
            Without a variac, a JMP or 1987X probably won't get you there either. Both of those amps are going to be based on a later metal panel circuit (Dec '72 IIRC), while EVH's Plexi was a '67. LLL would know the actual circuit differences better than I, but metal panel amps are significantly brighter and gainier than a '67 Plexi. I don't remember if LLL uses a variac in any of his demos, but he manages to get pretty close to the sound you're after with essentially a '68 Plexi.

The whole reason it's called the brown sound is because EVH turned his variac down until the amp just about wouldn't work anymore; it started to brown out. No one knows exactly how far he went, but I've heard suggestions that the heater circuit in a Marshall will stop working properly with input voltage below about 92.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
            X