Clear All

Re: Tweed appreciation thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	02706456-EB28-42BB-86D9-3455AFE572AB.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5814653

& for my next trick....

I just bought a assembled Vibrolux chassis from Sound Of The Shoals & it’s my plan to build it into some kind head. This is probably only going to be temporary until I figure out exactly what I want to do as far as a cabinet though? I figure for the time being, in head form I can run it through any 8 ohm cabinet including my ALNICO Creamback loaded 1X12!!!

As far as the cabinetry goes, originally I was going try to stick it into a Deluxe style 1X12 combo shell to hopefully move around a little more air however since my wonderful experience with the ALNICO Jensen 10in driver in my Princeton, more & more I want to go with a traditional narrow panel 1X10 Tweed combo shell..

Actually I’d love to hear some opinions about the future cabinetry! I’m not super well versed in the vintage cabinetry category so whatever insight you can offer will be much appreciated!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
      Actually I’d love to hear some opinions about the future cabinetry! I’m not super well versed in the vintage cabinetry category so whatever insight you can offer will be much appreciated!!!
      My '59 Gibson GA 18T is pretty much a Tweed Vibrolux. I would say that the bigger 1x12 box lends to the amp sounding bigger and not so boxy. I have a Jensen in mine and it just loves single coils. I would assume that putting in a 1x10 box, would make it a bit more focused? Hopefully, some one will roll around soon with more experienced.

On another note, I will be starting a similar tweed head project soon. The bassman will be coming home from my tech this weekend as well.

Edit: I just noticed the Blue Sozos on the kit. I really like them. I tend to use them if I remove leaky yellow Astrons.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Maybe traditional 1X10 tweed cab with Weber Alnico speaker...would sound sweet and be compact enough to use as a head for a 1X12...

Comment

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	5814656

Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe and Japanese 54 Reissue Strat

Comment

After the bassman gets done, this will be my next project.

1959 (Dec) Fender 5F1 Cabinet: Someone sadly decided to hack up this cabinet and have their champ solely be a head. Comes with the tube chart. "IL" = Dec of '59.

What I'm going to do is put this '57 Gibson GA 5 (which changes 4 resistor and 3 filter cap values from the 5F1) into a 5F1 chassis. More than likely will keep the PTP wiring just because the dimensions of the cab is tight. A mid-late '50s GA-5 sounds like a champ, but it's a bit sweeter and compresses more due to the small OT. Most GA- 5 users rate them as good if not better than Fender counterparts. Will go with bumblebees or Astrons for coupling caps. F&T filters. Sprague 25uf 25v caps sleeved in the old astrons.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am looking for recommendations for cleaning a non-varnishsed tweed head and cab. It is not filthy but I want to keep it from getting there.

Comment

Ok. Here's my '51 Fender Super. Has two Jensen P10R speakers. I sold the two Ricky lap steels. Needed the money to pay medical bills. But I was able to hold onto the amp and still have it.

Name:	178269_10151233401673584_106864394_o.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	6020627
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

This is my '60 Tweed Harvard. It's the amp I used to take guitar lessons on when I was in high school in Detroit in the 60's. I went back to visit the store in the 1970's and the amp was still there in the lesson room. So I bought it. It's my main practice amp at home. It sounds killer! Turn it up to about 5 and it screams like a Marshall. Great recording amp.

Name:	E173001D-C81E-4E1A-A674-67A696D3CC0A.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	6020630

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                  X