A Pretty Flipping Cool N.A.D.!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pretty Flipping Cool N.A.D.!!!

So I've actually got several NAD's, N.P.D.'s & NGD's to catch you fine people up on but I've just been so busy recently. With that said, I kinda felt like this one couldn't wait!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190401_152509.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	5851133Click image for larger version

Name:	20190401_152133.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	5851134Click image for larger version

Name:	20190401_152222.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	5851135Click image for larger version

Name:	20190401_152159.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	5851136

It's a J.Chester JC-50 4X10 Tweed Bassman clone loaded with four ten inch Vintage 30's & it sounds every bit as good as it looks!!!

In a perfect world it'd have a bunch of ALNICO Jensen drivers in it but going with the V30's saved some scratch & the speakers can always be swapped out later?

I figure I'd get some pictures up & then review it once I've spent a little more time with it. So far so good but it did just arrive & I want to see how it plays with pedals, Etc......
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: A Pretty Flipping Cool N.A.D.!!!

Name:	1554151846586-1835608322.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	5813432

Guess I should probably put up at least one of the front?
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Looks heavy, I mean great! I bet it sounds awesome!

Comment

beautiful amp...must sound great...what are those big bottle tubes it's loaded with????spring for the AlNiCos....worth every penny and you will not regret it....selling the Vintage 30's will offset much of the cost...get maybe 60-70ea...Weber replacement 100ea...guessing....maybe...
          Last edited by justFred; 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Well it's not a little 5W Champ that's for sure!!!

Lol, it's heavy but with the V30's its not too bad. I imagine once I swap out the speakers for ALNICO ones that'll add a few pounds but I shouldn't have to move it too often anyway?

It was built right & to be period correct so it's made out of 3/4in pine with dovetailed joints & it sounds absolutely amazing!!! Its by far the best USA voiced amp ive I've ever played through, let alone owned & I've had some nice amplifiers!

I've been playing through it for the past couple hours with nothing but a little reverb in front & I just don't want to put my guitar down but unfortunately the little one will be off to bed soon so I'll have to.

Drive pedals tomorrow!!!

Comment

I freaking love Bassmans. That is the first Fender amp I ever played through and the magic hasn't left me to this day. Very nice score.

Comment

to early now but something to think about down the road....have done it and works great....

the cool thing is you can dial in preamp tube overdrive even at very low 'Master' volume levels. Also the Bright Channel is completely unchanged--it sounds exactly the same after this mod so you can still get all the sweet 5E3 Deluxe tone you need. There's even a switch option shown below so you can switch between a completely 'normal' 5E3 and this cascade mod. The Cascade Channel mod is simple to do and simple to reverse if you ever want to go back.

5E3 Deluxe With Cascaded Channels - Basic Mod

Name:	5e3p_Cascade_Mod_Schematic.png
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	5813434

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                  to early now but something to think about down the road....have done it and works great....

the cool thing is you can dial in preamp tube overdrive even at very low 'Master' volume levels. Also the Bright Channel is completely unchanged--it sounds exactly the same after this mod so you can still get all the sweet 5E3 Deluxe tone you need. There's even a switch option shown below so you can switch between a completely 'normal' 5E3 and this cascade mod. The Cascade Channel mod is simple to do and simple to reverse if you ever want to go back.

5E3 Deluxe With Cascaded Channels - Basic Mod
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]97100[/ATTACH]
                  Wow dude that's cool, thanks!!!!

I have gone ahead and saved that to my photos.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                    beautiful amp...must sound great...what are those big bottle tubes it's loaded with????spring for the AlNiCos....worth every penny and you will not regret it....selling the Vintage 30's will offset much of the cost...get maybe 60-70ea...Weber replacement 100ea...guessing....maybe...
                    They're Tung Sol reissue 6L6's.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      I freaking love Bassmans. That is the first Fender amp I ever played through and the magic hasn't left me to this day. Very nice score.
                      I remember the first time I played through one as well & it was definitely a magic moment! It's also why I've always wanted one so bad!!

I've had some great 5E3 Tweed Deluxe's but personally I think there's just something about this circuit & the 4X10's. The way they fill a room & kinda kick you in the guts is just fantastic!

Comment

Wow, looks awesome!
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                          I remember the first time I played through one as well & it was definitely a magic moment! It's also why I've always wanted one so bad!!

I've had some great 5E3 Tweed Deluxe's but personally I think there's just something about this circuit & the 4X10's. The way they fill a room & kinda kick you in the guts is just fantastic!
                          The first one I played was one of those Fender Bassman lacquered tweed reissues. Such a warm sound. Next one I tried was my bassists silverface thru a 15in cab, and tried it thru one of those 4x12 fender cabs with the speakers all pointing inwards in a diamond configuration.. forgot what those are called

Comment

i had a bassman for years and it was great but also loud as hell running where i wanted it. esquire->bassman with channels jumped, both volumes @ 9 or 10, treble 8, mids 12, bass 3, presence 3 or something like that. sounded great but it was a little much. mine was loaded with p10q jensen ri's which i like much better than the p10r but they are also louder. alnicos will probably be lighter than the celestions by the way

Comment

Those Vin 30 10's are very similar to the factory speaker Fender used in the old Prosonic combo. Would suggest strongly you play them a little and break them in before you abandon them. Those sounded absolutly fantastic in the Prosonics might surprise the heck out of you!! They are going to be tight at first and a little thin and harsh but once broken in will really open up and warm up those are really nice.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X