Kemper - what's the point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kemper - what's the point?

It's 600 watts of cool class D, and does a pretty darn good job of copying any amp tone. We copied a tone or two and listened back... I couldn't tell the difference.

I was rather impressed when I played one the other day in my own garage for a few hours

If it looked cooler, I might sell some **** off and get one. Lots of bells and whistles.

It's roughly the same price as a used jcm 800... And it will do an 800...plus 500 other amps as well.

But you can push buttons and twist knobs for a hundred years with that thing... That's too much.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      Indeed. sometimes it's wormhole. Creativity more often flows better from focused effort
      I think I did a thread on limitations being a good thing. That being said, just because a modeler has 1000 options, you don't have to use them all. I use just a few models in my Fractal.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I think I did a thread on limitations being a good thing. That being said, just because a modeler has 1000 options, you don't have to use them all. I use just a few models in my Fractal.
        Yeah, but the many options are always sold as the #1 point of having a modeler.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I get it if you're a touring musician. It's much easier than carrying around a bunch of amps, cabs, pedals, ect. You can carry around one piece of gear plus a foot controller, and get 95% close to your rig's tone reliably and consistently every night.
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I think modelling stuff can sound really fantastic . . . but does anyone else find that they don't like using modelers simply because there are too many options? I seem to end up spending ages dicking around with knobs rather than playing. Much of my current setup has been pared down for simplicity to reduce the need for knob twiddling so I can sit down and immediately get the three or four sounds that I like.
            Yes, I totally agree as I'm sitting here trying to write an acoustic patch for Sunday morning, and being acoustic already puts a big limit on it. For electric, I find myself tweaking for days way too often.

Comment

Yeah, but the many options are always sold as the #1 point of having a modeler.
              Well, it is nice to try out tons of amps you've always wanted to try. But convenience is the #1 selling point for me...#2 being weight.

Comment

I think modelling stuff can sound really fantastic . . . but does anyone else find that they don't like using modelers simply because there are too many options? I seem to end up spending ages dicking around with knobs rather than playing. Much of my current setup has been pared down for simplicity to reduce the need for knob twiddling so I can sit down and immediately get the three or four sounds that I like.
                Yes...this this a big turnoff for me. as well.

Comment

I've had enough references for Kempers sounding near undistinguishable from a real tube amp that I believe it. Also, I wouldn't know any better since I'm not much of a tone snob, or that experienced with classic tube amps anyway.

However, I do know that the concept of a Kemper is too much for me. I started out with a modeling tube amp, I currently play a single channel tube amp. Bought an M13 to mimic having a ****load of classic pedals, and I use four or maybe five different effects and that's it. I know what I like.

I have a tendency towards simplification I guess. So I don't need so many possibilities. Some of my favorite albums were recorded with basic, but powerful gear.

Kempers have a place in studios or for touring, gigging musicians, since they're way more portable than a regular amp. For someone like me they're pointless. I don't need that muxh flexibility, as much as I'd like it.

I'm pretty sure I could happily live forever with something like a AMT Stonehead, which has 4 channels of just about anything in analog format, plus my M13 or an HX Stomp or something.
                  Last edited by Diego; 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Never tried a Kemper, but I did'nt care for the Axe-Fx II when I played one a few months ago. Anyone who says they sound/respond exactly like a tube amp is kidding himself.

There's an inherent difference in there that won't match up, no matter what. It does'nt feel, respond (where's the kick?) or even sound like a tube amp & while I can see a lot of people loving the tones, they honestly were'nt authentic tube amp tones to me, nowhere near as in-your-face as an actual tube head & a bit too pristine (plastic-y/lacking texture/grit) sounding no matter the patch/setting or w/e.

Maybe I could've tweaked the thing for hours and got it to sound nicer to my ears (?) but that's the sort of thing I dread doing haha. Nothing beats just plugging in, turning a couple knobs & cranking the volume till you feel your pants flap around...
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post

I'm pretty sure I could happily live forever with something like a AMT Stonehead, which has 4 channels of just about anything in analog format, plus my M13 or an HX Stomp or something.
                      I actually far preferred my Stonehead to The Axe-fx...not joking./

To my ears analog SS comes way closer to the real thing...and while they don't "model" ****, an amp like the Stonehead is extremely versatile and will get you almost any tone/response you want/need, while being as simple to dial in as any tube amp...
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I think what bothers me about the current generation of modelers is everyone seems to have forgotten about the experience from the previous generation.

At one point we were all sold on how the Line 6 Flextone's were going to be all the amp we would ever need. Lenny Kravitz was using them line on SNL, the POD was being used in studios by artists that could afford real vintage amps and metal bands were able to do things with modeling that they couldn't achieve with their own physical gear.

Did they sound good? Sure...at least good enough to sell enough of them. In retrospect we demonize them but a whole lot of people were buying them....

But the upgrade path is never one that is continuous. No company that makes modeling hardware is going to succeed by letting its users buy once and never have to buy again. The mantra is always for them to be working on the next generation of better and that will inevitably mean users get left out in the cold when their past patches aren't as good as the newest or they just don't offer any sort of upgrade path.

The idea that this is the last amp you will ever have to buy is false. At best it's something that will offer you some level of convenience for a span of time until you are forced to make a decision of which one option is to abandon it. There will be a time when parts are not available, Techs won't work on them because they're too old, etc.

These are all lessons we learned once...or at least I thought we did. I know there are folks out there that take these for what they are, the convenience, and for them it's as much an important tool as their IRL amps. But I'm also seeing folks who have declared it the end-all be-all and made questionable decisions with gear that's not going to be easy for them to ever get back if they find themselves in the spot that technology always ends up putting us.

Comment

It depends on the sounds you like, I guess. I find tweaking sounds as interesting as playing itself, and it does lead me to play some things I wouldn't have played before. I'd never think my Fractal is just like my Mesa, but that is sort of the point of it, to me.

Comment

I like them, and I can see the ways I could use one effectively, but my Road King serves my needs best right now. The other guitar player in my band has one and it's really nice to be able to go from a legit sounding blackface clean tone to a slightly pushed AC30 tone to an old tweed tone, to a plexi and then something like a modern Mesa with the tap of a switch. Sure, that can all be done with pedals. You can also have presets for all of those same amps where the gain or EQ is tweaked without having multiple pedals. Again, something you can do with the modelers you've mentioned. However, the Kemper allows you to set up your amp just the way you want it, then it will sample your amp and store that specific sound profile.

For pros that use vintage and boutique stuff in the studio, they can clone the sounds right there on the spot and reproduce all of those tones without risking the valuable vintage stuff on the road. To me, that's where Kemper excels over the other options. It's essentially cloning those sounds that you already like and have, as well as giving you the flexibility to have a virtually unlimited number of variations of that same amp and reacts to volume changes, just like your normal amp.

All of that said, I get by with four channels and a couple pedals just fine. If I go Kemper, it will be so I don't have to carry a 50lb amp head and speaker cab anymore and I can reduce my setup to plugging in the power, controller and DI out. Is it the right tool for everyone, not by a long shot. However, it makes sense for folks that have to cover a lot of ground or who are using vintage/boutique amps they don't want to ruin on the road.

Comment

It is a toy...like all the rest of all that "wondergear".....
                              Making it convinient for an ever shrinking niche of users....
                              But old gear and modern gear are worlds apart....what ever tickles your fancy.
                              And the usual speech about endless possibilities....and?
                              It shows the lack of effort people wanna put into the whole deal...which used to be making music....now it is just another fancy new noisebox thing....there is no point, just some wheels turning really....sorry about the negative comment.

Comment

It is different. I wrestle with that every day when I play the two side by side, real amps and the Kemper. It sounds amazing. To say it's a toy isn't true in my opinion, look at who utilizes it and how. They're highly paid professionals who could afford not to. But to be hateful at it for existing (some across the internet seem to be) and other people choosing to use it is silly. I admittedly don't get into the perfectly profiled tone sound all the time, I want to put in effort and be a little different in my method so I question how much it's for me at times, but there are people who are way above my play level and pay grade that use it wonderfully and that says a lot more than any specs or reviews need to. It has proven itself to those people, and to me to an extent, but it isn't for everyone for every reason just like any amp. Sometimes I prefer to go old-school and turn knobs, for gigs or recording, it might be even better.

I think there is a point to them absolutely. If one were to take the time to profile their own and no longer have to lug heavy amp heads or combos up and down stairs, in and out of vehicles, etc, then on to a stage and make sure your settings are right, as well as not having to even use effects pedals if you profile them in or use the built in ones (pretty good actually), the purpose becomes massive. The sound you created at home, very light, exact to your desires and in a lunchbox. And no worries of mic placement. I am in no way defending them, I only say that I believe they definitely serve a purpose. And yeah, it's pretty ugly I think.
                                Last edited by Semetery; 04-27-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X