Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kemper - what's the point?

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    It is a toy...like all the rest of all that "wondergear".....
    Making it convinient for an ever shrinking niche of users....
    But old gear and modern gear are worlds apart....what ever tickles your fancy.
    And the usual speech about endless possibilities....and?
    It shows the lack of effort people wanna put into the whole deal...which used to be making music....now it is just another fancy new noisebox thing....there is no point, just some wheels turning really....sorry about the negative comment.
    Is this shrinking niche the lazy people who don’t want to put an effort into their music or guitarists in general?

Fancy new noisebox... I hear grouchy ass old bluegrass guys call amplifiers that a lot.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
      It is a toy...like all the rest of all that "wondergear".....
      Making it convinient for an ever shrinking niche of users....
      But old gear and modern gear are worlds apart....what ever tickles your fancy.
      And the usual speech about endless possibilities....and?
      It shows the lack of effort people wanna put into the whole deal...which used to be making music....now it is just another fancy new noisebox thing....there is no point, just some wheels turning really....sorry about the negative comment.
      Wouldn't a classic amp be the lazy option though? i.e. you're too lazy to tweak the thousands of possibilities from a good modern amp, so you stick with something that has one or two sounds and just use those for everything. Maybe you're too lazy to consider something new so you write it off as a toy.

People that are still trying to improve things are not lacking effort.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        I think modelling stuff can sound really fantastic . . . but does anyone else find that they don't like using modelers simply because there are too many options? I seem to end up spending ages dicking around with knobs rather than playing. Much of my current setup has been pared down for simplicity to reduce the need for knob twiddling so I can sit down and immediately get the three or four sounds that I like.
        See, I don't get this. I've had a couple of modellers. I first go online to see if there are patches available that replicate the sounds of guitarists I admire, and go from there. I usually have my patches down in within a couple of days, and then I don't really feel a need to tamper much with it. Of course, curiosity to try out new stuff may strike every now and then, but then I have the convenience of having it all in one box without having to pay for (and most likely wait for!) another pedal.
        Last edited by Sirion; 04-27-2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LowBudgetViking View Post
          No company that makes modeling hardware is going to succeed by letting its users buy once and never have to buy again.
          Does this apply to manufacturers of other types of amplifiers (such as tube amps)? If not, why? If so, how are tube amp manufacturers that rely on continued/renewed manufacturing of older products (Peavey and the 5150/6505, Marshall and the 1959SLP and 2203, Mesa and the Recto, Soldano and the SLO, etc.) still around?

Comment

AxeFx modeling sounds noticeably better than Kemper profiling if you're just trying to get yourself some solidstate versatility in a box
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

You are either a creative player or not. Gear doesn't change that.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would'nt be too surprised if the whole modelling thing goes the way all the expensive rack gear from the 80's went.. (obsolete).

You're already looking at AXe FX/Kemper etc owners going on about how one need's a tube/ss power amp "to really make it come alive" which kind of defeats the purpose of a single/lightweight, "plug straight into themixer/DAW" do-it-all gizmo anyway..

..at that point all you actually need is your pedalboard & the said tube/ss power amp anyway. Chances are, at some point that's going to dawn on these guys
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Almost every pro that I talk to that uses a Kemper or Fractal uses them direct to the PA. Most of the people who pair them with a tube power amp either don't perform much, or spend too much time on forums.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, I've definately come across quite a few of the latter type just saying what they're saying..
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Sounds like someone should pair a modeler with a tube power section.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Sounds like someone should pair a modeler with a tube power section.

Line 6 has been doing that since like the Bush administration, if not longer
                        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                          Really.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                            yes, true -but in fairness, those 90s and 00s Line 6 Modeling Tube amps are terrible.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The Marshall JMD:1 is a modelling amp with a tube power amp. It is not terrible. It doesn't do IRs by definition since the speakers and cab and the interaction with the output transformer are whatever cab you plug it into. However, it does have an emulated line out of a 1960A 4x12 cab that you can go directly into a PA with.

Comment

I'm a simple guy as a player. I need only one functional sound per band and also I don't support the idea to spend money on gear that contain things I don't actually need so I use single modelling preamp pedals. They do that one thing perfectly I think.

As a recording producer, I see different. I completely accept the functionality of Kemper, AxeFX and the like. I've seen some weird enough stuff in the studio with modellers during reamping, like a Line6 HDproX beating a real masterfully mic'd (it was not me but someone who is more skilled than me) Recto in A/B test, a single AMT pedal delivering the best Marshall sound among 3 other good Marshalls, bands deciding to return to their AxeFX line sounds in the mix after reamping with otherwise great organic sounding real stuff or a SansAmp RBI alone creating an instant mixable bass sound with no need of any amp. These all grew into functionality during the last decade. More practical, more flexible, much more options.

Think of them as swiss army tools. It is not a real knife but it is absolutely capable of killing if used so. Maybe, a couple of dosens of other creative ways than a single knife like using the fork or the corkscrew.
                                Last edited by NecroPolo; 04-28-2019, 08:48 AM. Reason: typos
                                Wackor
                                Ørdøg
                                NecroPolo
                                Diabolus in Musica
                                SIDrip Alliance
                                Book of Shadows
                                RKH

Comment

Working...
                                X