banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

    Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
    I do think that some amps are pushing EL84's harder than others. When I was playing them regularly, my Classic 50 (4 EL84's @ 50W) went thru EL84's faster than my Classic 30 (4 EL84's @ 30W).
    They do and is why I'm asking on the reliability.
    REALLY like the tone of the Mulards in particular in my little Boogie but the first pair did not last long. Have had really good luck with life with the TAD tubes and they sound pretty good so if this new pair of Mullards does not hang in there in the Boogie will just go back to them. Have JJ's just not crazy about the tone.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

      7189 is a great tube that handles 400V. I'd like to see some designs that use the 6BM8---better headroom and output than the EL84/6BQ5 family.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

        I like JJs. They sound fine to me, and I've had good luck with longevity in a small single ended class A amp that heats up and rattles an awful lot.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

        Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

          Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
          I have no experience with EL84 amps as I always had EL34 amps but TAD came up here as very reliable that I can completely verify.

          Also, I read here some reliability issues of JJs had you guys. I never noticed that, JJs always worked rock solid in my amps during the years, regardless of how hard they were abused on the road.

          Considering JJs I agree on the tone, they have a slightly darker / warmer / smoother nature. They sound pretty much the same to me as ancient Teslas that I loved until they were available around my place. As far as I know it is no coincidence as JJ was directly descending from Tesla but I might be wrong about it.
          This got me thinking. Wasn't Teslas the stock tubes in Marshalls back then?

          To me "Marshall tone" in these days sound way brighter (and honestly not that good), than "Marshall tone" usually heard in old recordings I like, so maybe that's one reason for it?
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

            The first Marshalls came with Mullards which are also a dark tube like the Teslas although much different sounding. Know in the 90's that they came with Sovetecs or at least my JCM 900's did. After that don't know?
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

              Originally posted by Ascension View Post
              They do and is why I'm asking on the reliability.
              REALLY like the tone of the Mulards in particular in my little Boogie but the first pair did not last long. Have had really good luck with life with the TAD tubes and they sound pretty good so if this new pair of Mullards does not hang in there in the Boogie will just go back to them. Have JJ's just not crazy about the tone.
              Perhaps you were just unlucky with the earlier pair of Mullards and the new pair will last longer.

              There can be trade offs. The Mullards may have the best tone in your amp but they won't last as long as some other brands. The engineers say "speed, quality, cost - pick two." It is extremely difficult to optimize in all three categories. So finding the best tubes for your amp may be like a "balancing act."

              Maybe you primarily use the TADs, but if you're going to be recording you swap in some Mullards for the sessions.
              I miss the '80s (girls) !!!

              Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

                Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                The first Marshalls came with Mullards which are also a dark tube like the Teslas although much different sounding. Know in the 90's that they came with Sovetecs or at least my JCM 900's did. After that don't know?
                My Mini Jubilee had a Marshall-branded JJ in V1, Marshall-branded Shuguangs in V2 & V3, and Tung-Sol EL-34s in the power section.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

                Comment


                • #23
                  EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

                  Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  The first Marshalls came with Mullards which are also a dark tube like the Teslas although much different sounding. Know in the 90's that they came with Sovetecs or at least my JCM 900's did. After that don't know?
                  My 1994 JCM900 SL-X came with Marshall-branded Tesla EL-34M and Marshall-branded ECC83, which Ive read were made by Ei but Im not sure on that. The amp sounded like Angus, which is why I bought it. If it could do that sound it could do anything else I wanted.

                  On the EL-84 subject, my VOX AC-30s have had JJs stock and have lasted for at least 10 years, though one V1 pre tube went microphonic.
                  Last edited by beaubrummels; 05-18-2019, 01:57 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

                    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    My 1994 JCM900 SL-X came with Marshall-branded Tesla EL-34M and Marshall-branded ECC83, which Ive read were made by Ei but Im not sure on that. The amp sounded like Angus, which is why I bought it. If it could do that sound it could do anything else I wanted.

                    On the EL-84 subject, my VOX AC-30s have had JJs stock and have lasted for at least 10 years, though one V1 pre tube went microphonic.
                    The Marshall branded tubes should have a numerical code printed on them. Those codes will tell you what tubes they actually are.

                    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads...e-codes.20734/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

                      Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      The Marshall branded tubes should have a numerical code printed on them. Those codes will tell you what tubes they actually are.

                      http://www.marshallforum.com/threads...e-codes.20734/
                      Unfortunately those tubes are long gone. I have a Mullard 10M in V1, and an official Ei in V3 and Tungsram in V2 and I think a Soviet in the PI. I also still have a couple of the Marshall EL-34Ms but no longer a matched set.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: EL 84 reliabilty and tone revews.

                        Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        Unfortunately those tubes are long gone. I have a Mullard 10M in V1, and an official Ei in V3 and Tungsram in V2 and I think a Soviet in the PI. I also still have a couple of the Marshall EL-34Ms but no longer a matched set.
                        Gotcha....I misunderstood you. I thought you had the Marshall ones still.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X