No announcement yet.

Amp that could get close to this tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp that could get close to this tone?

Hey, that Blackface Bassman sounds just like my Blackface Bassman!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      It should be able to. If I were trying to get a similar tone from a Road King (or any Recto) I'd use one of the dirty channels set to vintage with the gain around 12 o'clock or a bit less.

A Marshall Jubilee (including the Mini / Studio) will also do tones like that if you're not sure about a Mesa or don't want to spend so much.
      Both of these amps are on my hot list right now. The Mesa seems like the "Ultimate Amp" but there are so many bells and whistles that I would just not use. The Marshall also seems like a good option, however it has more of a JCM sound to it, vs the Plexi/JTM/early Bassman-Marshall tone that seems better suited. I am stuck.

The Friedman Dirty Shirley 40 increasingly seems like a solid amp for the tone I seek at the current moment. The price does run with the best of 'em though. Thanks all for help.

Comment

Originally posted by StratKid View Post
        Both of these amps are on my hot list right now. The Mesa seems like the "Ultimate Amp" but there are so many bells and whistles that I would just not use. The Marshall also seems like a good option, however it has more of a JCM sound to it, vs the Plexi/JTM/early Bassman-Marshall tone that seems better suited. I am stuck.

The Friedman Dirty Shirley 40 increasingly seems like a solid amp for the tone I seek at the current moment. The price does run with the best of 'em though. Thanks all for help.
        I have a JTM45 and a couple of Jubilees. I can get either to sound like the other. It's a lot easier using the Jubilee to get it sounding like the JTM clean or dirty at the needed volume level, though. With the mini you can try different power tubes without worrying about bias, and it does make a difference with that amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
          I have a JTM45 and a couple of Jubilees. I can get either to sound like the other. It's a lot easier using the Jubilee to get it sounding like the JTM clean or dirty at the needed volume level, though. With the mini you can try different power tubes without worrying about bias, and it does make a difference with that amp.
          +1

The Mini / Studio Jubilee is extremely responsive to different tube types; much more so than my 2555. I can also confirm that the clean channel on both is very JTM-like, while the overdrive channel is its own thing. It's fatter than a JCM800 with a rather different feel; almost an early AIC Bogner thing without being so squishy. I'm confident that I run my Jubilees quite a bit dirtier than LPB does, so rest assured that there's a pretty wide variety of tones available.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yes, with the mini Jubilee throwing a set of KT66s reduced the distortion on the overdrive channel, at the same preamp gain setting, and made it rather JTM like. 5881s would probably do similarly and would fit in the head shell easier. MJs are not real expensive used now. At least not in the same price brackets as Friedman.

I have only ever ran EL34s in my original Jubilee because the bias range is too narrow to bias up non EL34s without breaking out the soldering iron. The reissue 2555 can run a wide variety of octal power tubes with a user service-able biasing system, though.

Comment

I have only ever ran EL34s in my original Jubilee because the bias range is too narrow to bias up non EL34s without breaking out the soldering iron. The reissue 2555 can run a wide variety of octal power tubes with a user service-able biasing system, though.
              I tried a set of KT-88s in my 2555, but the tonal differences were pretty minimal compared to EL-34s; a little bit louder and a bit less bright at the same settings.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

A fella who uses my buddy’s studio has a DSL40C for a steal of a price, can it get close to this tone?

Also, is it reasonable to run 6L6s in a Marshall?

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  It should be able to. If I were trying to get a similar tone from a Road King (or any Recto) I'd use one of the dirty channels set to vintage with the gain around 12 o'clock or a bit less.

A Marshall Jubilee (including the Mini / Studio) will also do tones like that if you're not sure about a Mesa or don't want to spend so much.
                  I have channels 3 and 4 set to higher gain on my Road King, but I get pretty close to that tone on channel 1 with three tweed voicing. I hit the front end with a clean boost and an EQ with a bit of a bass cut and a bit of a boost around 500hz. The raw voicing has a bit more gain and could work, as well as your suggestion of using the vintage setting. Your suggestion will have a bit more compression.

The ideal Mesa for that tone would be a Stiletto.

Comment

This is the tone:
                    Les Paul straight into the amp. Volume 10, Treble 10, Bass 4I picked this puppy up COVERED in real floor carpeting. I was sad that someone would do that to s...

That is the sound I seek. However, I do also value my clean tone. Is there an amp out there that will get me within this ballpark of tone with a decent clean channel as well? Assuming a Marshall of some kind? Silver Jubilee? I am trying to avoid buying 2 amps. Thanks!
                    My 1966 Bassman (AB165) gets EXTREMELY close to that tone
                    With the same speakers as used in the clip above, it will be spot on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tokai bassman AB165 grind ure.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	5814305
                    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Can someone tell me more about the Mesa side of the story? How close would something like a Road King get to this?

NO idea about the Recto Road Kings doing an early (KT66) JTM45'ish tone, but i am sure you will get in the correct ball park with a Mesa Lone Star Classic and, or, Stiletto Ace & Electra Dyne.
                      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

That's the Marshall Vintage Modern. They are not very expensive on the used market either. The combo is already equipped with Greenbacks. However, they are not channel switching amps. They do respond good to rolling down the guitar volume, though.

That leads us back to the Jubilee for Marshall.

The Mesa Boogie Fillmore series looks interesting for this application.
                        I can not agree more with you.

The Marshall Vintage modern can deff give you that KT66-driven JTM45 tone.
                        Hell, the Vintage Modern is also running on KT66 valves
                        The BEST modernday-era amp that Marshall has given us, imho.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aor 645697_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	5814306

Comment

Whatever amp you decide on, remember that in the video, the cab was played with scumbacks m75s (G12M Pre Rola Greenbacks).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
                            Whatever amp you decide on, remember that in the video, the cab was played with scumbacks m75s (G12M Pre Rola Greenbacks).

Isn't Scumback m75 based on G12M Creambacks (65w). Not Greenbacks?
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                              Isn't Scumback m75 based on G12M Creambacks (65w). Not Greenbacks?
                              Not according to their site. I've met the owner, pretty cool dude.

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post

Speakers do make a huge difference. I use greenbacks and creambacks with my Mesa

Comment

Working...
                                X