No announcement yet.

Any love for the Marshall dsl5 or dsl1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love for the Marshall dsl5 or dsl1?

Is anyone using either the 5 watt or 1 watt combos or 1 watt head?
    I am just wondering what the background hiss/hum is like and how reliable they are.

Re: Any love for the Marshall dsl5 or dsl1?

Sorry I can't really answer your question but I looked at both and went with an Origin.

Play them all would be my suggestion.

I went with the Origin because of the power options and tonal options. Cleaner cleans and takes pedals beautifully.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the Vietnamese DSL1 head. It's fun. It has many shortcomings, but overall, it's a fun amp.

The bass sits in a kinda weird spot where it's kinda stuffy in the low mids rather than deep and thumping. The bass knob acts very weird too. From like 3 to 10, it doesn't really change the amount of bass the amp pumps out, just kinda messes with the voicing of the amp's bass and mids.

It's pretty loud for a 1W amp. Not band-practice loud by any means, but louder than the Randall RD1H I used to have. Turned past a certain point (from like 4) on the volume knob, it gets a bit flabby for down-tuned fast metal, though.

The clean channel is alright. It's a bit bright and thin, though.

The 0.1W mode is kinda useless. It sounds better in 1W mode with the volume knob turned down.

Overall, it's a fun amp, but definitely not *woah the ultimate bedroom practice amp*. Honestly, I'm thinking about replacing it with a Blackstar HT-5 MK-2 or a Peavey 6505MH or something.

However, I am very curious about how the UK anniversary series 1W heads compare.

Comment

OK - I would have said What? Who Cares? A couple of weeks ago. Then, Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 happened, with 1 and 5 watt does.

It is quiet and I LOVE it!!!!!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          OK - I would have said What? Who Cares? A couple of weeks ago. Then, Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 happened, with 1 and 5 watt does.

It is quiet and I LOVE it!!!!!
          is it for solo jammin' in bedroom? recording? what do you love it for? curious
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I'll preface this by saying it's my first/only tube amp, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My previous amps were a Marshall Code50 (which I loved) and a Peavey Rage 158 (which is meh to the extreme).
            I absolutely love my DSL1HR. I'm just a hobbyist that plays mostly by myself and occasionally with a friend. But it does everything I need.
            My best advice is to play them if you can, and decide if they meet your needs/wants.
            I play 80's metal, classic rock, blues and whatever else I feel like (country, rock, grunge). I can get most of the sounds I want by turning the knobs on the amp. I do use a TS9 to tighten it up for metal, or on the clean channel to drive my blues sound. But mostly the amp itself does whatever I want.
            The clean channel can be a little bright/thin as Rex_rocker said, but I've found it depends on the individual guitar/pickups.
            The low end can be a little lacking, but honestly I think it's pretty good for the wattage.
            If you're playing in a band or with a drummer, this amp probably won't work for you. But as a versatile amp for jamming and playing around the house, I think it works wonderfully. I use it just to have fun, and to occasionally record a video for Instagram or whatever.
            For me, the 1 watt was perfect, The 5 watt would have been too loud. I've been playing this for around 7 months now, and have never once regretted my purchase. (but I did find the head/cab used for $350)
            -Matt

ETA: to answer the original post, the only hiss/hum I have is with my Jackson RR5 (super distortion and SD Jazz) on the ultra gain channel. (appears to be a grounding or shielding issue with that guitar, as my others don't do it, and if my fingers are touching the strings/bridge it stops. I've rewired the guitar with new pots once, and it still does it, which leaves me scratching my head. But that's another topic)

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsl1andpedals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	5814351
            Last edited by v8stang289; 05-30-2019, 07:45 PM.
            "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Working...
            X