Clear All

• Best Marshall in a Box.........

.......comes in a Marshall box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3653.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	5851702

Was in Guitar Center last weekend for the first time in years, checking local band postings. Over in the 'platinum' room I spotted a Marshall JVM 205H on clearance. Marked down to $900. Based on the serial number looked to be a 2015 so not really new but they claimed not used. So I fired her up and had a blast running through all the channels, got loud enough to make my ears hurt and some of the locals give dirty looks. Everything seemed to be working and sounding like a JVM should so dialed in a great Iron Maiden tone and gave everything a good test. Picked up a used 1960 lead cab in decent condition for $450 at the same time.

I guess in this age of profilers, fly rigs and small boutique amps and pedal platforms you can find a deal on the big stuff. Ended up with the 6 button footswitch instead of the 4 button thanks to the sales guy (he initially tried to plug the speaker cable into the fx loop return before I intervened) so I can get each of the 6 modes on each switch. So using as a 6 channel amp until I get my favorite tones established.

She's off to an amp tech soon for some new tubes, bias and a once over. After 4 years in a guitar center champagne room she's getting a service before any serious playing.

Very much liking the tones so far. To me a Marshall through a 4x12 is the classic setup.

Re: Best Marshall in a Box.........

Very nice! Bandmate has the 4-channel one, nice amp with lots of options. Definitely a lot of usable tones inside, but the 4-channel version is definitely excessive (12 modes, kind of redundant at times). Enjoy your new amp!

Comment

Congrats on the new to you amp, enjoy
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Congrats! That's a Marshall I'd really like to own. I've heard nothing but good-sounding clips of it.

Comment

Congrats! I have the 50-watt combo version, and am very happy with it. Untunately, the loops are not well designed, but apart from that this is a thoroughly excellent amp.

Comment

Oh time to upset the neighbors
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Best classic Marshall? small Fender or Vox combo at full tilt with your chosen OD pedal in front

Comment

No.

Comment

Nice score man!
                  I hope it rocks hard for many, many years!
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Cool. never played a JVM, but I've never played a tubed Marshall I didn't like.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                        Congrats! I have the 50-watt combo version, and am very happy with it. Untunately, the loops are not well designed, but apart from that this is a thoroughly excellent amp.
                        Was playing with the fx loop the other night and it worked pretty good with my pedals but is very dependent on the wet/dry blend control and it does seem to change the tone a bit. Not a problem if you leave it on all the time but can be an interesting effect if you footswitch it on and off e.g. to add some delay for leads or chorus for cleans. I think I may prefer the Mesa effects loops better, but getting very usable tones out of it.

Comment

I had the 100w 2-channel version of that head for a while. Loved it!

If/when I get another, it will be the 50w version. Enjoy and congrats on the amp!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
                            Was playing with the fx loop the other night and it worked pretty good with my pedals but is very dependent on the wet/dry blend control and it does seem to change the tone a bit. Not a problem if you leave it on all the time but can be an interesting effect if you footswitch it on and off e.g. to add some delay for leads or chorus for cleans. I think I may prefer the Mesa effects loops better, but getting very usable tones out of it.
                            I think it sounds fine by itself, but it doesn't do 100% dry no matter what you do, so it does not work well with digital effects no matter what you do. Meanwhile, the series link is far too hot for most AD converters. For myself the solution would be to have it rewired into another series loop, which is a very doable procedure for an amp tech. It shouldn't be necessary, but fortunately the rest of the deal is oh so good!

Comment

Should be fun!
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X